TV Shows that didn't hang around long enough (aka Brilliant but Cancelled)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, Jun 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident

The Persuaders! (1971-1972)
    Constantine (2014-2015)

4_everyman likes this.
  2. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Let me re-mention a show called NOWHERE MAN.
    [​IMG]
    This was an early series on the new UPN network. It aired its one year on Monday nights in tandem with STAR TREK: VOYAGER. Bruce Greenwood was photographer Thomas Veil whose identity it stripped from him by some unknown agency, getting to his wife, his coworkers, friends, even his mother to deny that they ever knew him. His valued possession is a set of negatives that he believes "they" want, of an execution in a jungle by the US military.

The show married two former shows, with an all-powerful conspiracy reminding one of THE PRISONER, and with the running both 'toward' and 'from' echoing THE FUGITIVE.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd also like to mention JOURNEYMAN, an NBC series with a time-travel theme. Aired in 2007, it was a victim of both a bad timeslot and a writers' strike. Kevin McKidd starred as Dan Vasser, a reporter for a San Francisco newspaper who unexpectedly finds himself back in time and helping various people out of their predicaments. Often, he'd follow his target through numerous times of their lives as they faced key events. His wife became the first believer of his stories, and his cop brother was slow in coming around, often accusing Dan of being unstable and needing help. Dan's ventures in the past could change elements of his present, and there was a mysterious scientist type who kept contacting Dan while not totally revealing what was going on.

[​IMG]

Dan's wife was played by Gretchen Egolf and his former girlfriend, supposedly dead, played by Moon Bloodgood, turns out to be another traveler like Dan and he meets with her in the past.

The series only aired thirteen episodes in the fall of 2007 and never returned. It's not available on DVD in the US (it IS in the UK), likely due to the many pop music cues used to help identify the time period visited.

3. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

Party Down
    Freaks and Geeks

Two of my favorite shows! Each started really coming into its own and then ... poof ... gone!

4. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

Definitely watch the BBC version, as well as the followup Ashes to Ashes. You have heard correctly.

Solaris, Jarleboy, Jack Lord and 3 others like this.
  5. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

Can attest to the quality of both, though I’ve cited Ashes to Ashes on the companion thread as a show that outstayed its welcome.

Jarleboy likes this.
  6. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Buffalo Bill with Dabney Coleman

Also, not sure how brilliant because I was only 11 or so....
    Temple Houston with Jeffrey Hunter and Jack Elam.
    It started out as a run of the mill Western, then several episodes in, changed to comedy, Support Your Local Sherrif type of thing.

Jack Elam was a riot to my 11 year old men mind.

Frankh likes this.
  7. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I notice you mentioned THE PAUL LYNDE SHOW twice. That reminds me of the scene in BLAZING SADDLES where he repeats the word rape.

Frankh likes this.
  8. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Captain Nice, what Get Smart did with spies, Captain Nice attempted with super heroes.

Buck Henry created and William Daniels starred.

fr in sc likes this.
  9. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

The Associates with Martin Short and Wilfrid Hyde-White. They only aired 9 of the 13 shows during it's initial release.

audiofool likes this.
  10. Irish-Matti, audiofool and klockwerk like this.
  11. Sternodox

Men Into Space

Only 38 episodes .... 1959/1960 TV season. My fave show when I was a wee tyke. Sci-fi, but reality based. The writers even got tips from NASA. Only one season, but great stuff for the hard sci-fi buff. I think they're all available for viewing online.

Does anyone else remember this show?

Frankh likes this.
  12. Gary7704

Gary7704 Chasing that sound….

Hindsight....

13. lechiffre

lechiffre Forum Resident

Star Trek : Enterprise

Lasted four seasons, but was on an upswing when it was canceled.

14. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

The Monroes (1966)

PonceDeLeroy, Grand_Ennui and HGN2001 like this.
  15. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

I don't recall feeling that way about it. I really liked the characters, but I haven't watched it since the original airing. I'm realizing it's time to watch again, starting with LOM. My wife hasn't seen either of them, so it's something we can watch together.

Jarleboy likes this.
  16. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I strongly agree. I recently started watching the series on Netflix (I caught the first few episodes on during the original broadcast) and I was surprised how good some of the episodes in the last season were. I especially enjoyed The Augment Trilogy and The Surak Trilogy (my names for set of episodes).

4_everyman, RolandG, BZync and 2 others like this.
  17. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

Greg the Bunny

Lownote30 and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

Pistols and Petticoats (1966). It wasn't brilliant, in fact it was corny, but it starred my fave gal Ann Sheridan. Sadly, throat cancer killed her after half a season.

19. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

It’s an odd one. LOM was more or less perfect beginning to end. A2A was probably weaker overall, though this might’ve been down to the fact it was referencing a less gritty decade, but still enjoyable. I actually think the last season was objectively the best but it felt like the writers made into a completely different show altogether. It was a good show, don’t get me wrong, but it wasn’t Ashes to Ashes, and it featured the clumsiest use of David Bowie’s “Heroes” since the Parole Officer.

20. Sternodox

Too many shows spun off other shows indicates a serious lack of imagination. Next season be sure and watch these guaranteed blockbusters:

CSI: Gardening Mishaps

CSI: Playground Scrapes & Bruises

CSI: Shaving Nicks

CSI: Hammer-Smashed Thumb

CSI: Sunburn!

CSI: Funny Bone Bump

CSI: Too Many Sliders/Nausea Unit

CSI: Take Two Aspirin & Call Me In the Morning

CSI: Yes! I Used Three Strips!! Definitely Pregnant!!!

Frankh likes this.
  21. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Well, you can make fun of the CSI franchise, but there were only ever four of them - the original CSI, CSI: Miami, and CSI: New York all ran the longest. A brief series called CSI: Cyber failed.

They are somewhat confused with the NCIS franchise, which is from a different outfit entirely. Law & Order has spawned a number of spinoffs too.

But I do agree with the lack of imagination in Hollywood.

22. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

Millennium

Cop Rock (LOL JK)

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I thought that Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles deserved a third season to continue the story- especially after the cliffhanger ending of the second season.

24. You know about the web videocast Live From Daryl's House, featuring Daryl Hall playing host to various musicians, singers, and bands, yes?

If you don't know about it, you should check it out. Here's an archive of previous episodes Live From Daryl's House: This Month's Episode

The last episode seems to be from June 23, 2016. Maybe there will be more, maybe not. Hall showcased an awful lot of musicians from all sorts of genres in the 82 archived shows, though.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    Jarleboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.