TV Shows that didn't hang around long enough (aka Brilliant but Cancelled)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, Jun 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I kinda-sorta enjoyed In Plain Sight (2008-2012), the USA Network show about the witness protection cops. Admittedly, mostly for the very watchable Mary McCormack. She- and the rest of the cast featured as major characters- consistently did their best to elevate scripts and plotlines that were mostly pedestrian one-hour cop-show fare. In Plain Sight - Wikipedia

The CBS show Cold Case (2003-2010), on the other hand, was exceptional one-hour cop show fare. At least, every one of the half-dozen or so episodes I've seen have been somewhere between 'very good' and 'minor masterpiece.' The show revolves around witness recollections, which are typically depicted as vignettes from different eras- the early 1960s, mid-70s, early '80s, etc., going back as far as 1910, so I've read. The versimilitude of the sets is remarkable. There's a lot of attention to period details- dress, furnishings, music, etc. But that wouldn't count for very much if the scripts weren't strong- and the plotting and writing in the episodes I've seen is very high quality. Cold Case is the only American-made one-hour police procedural show I can think of that holds its own with BBC shows like the Inspector Lewis series, etc. Cold Case - Wikipedia

From the Wiki: "...Due to the use of contemporary music in each episode, none of the seasons are presently available on DVD, due to music licensing issues. However, the entire series, incorporating the contemporary music, was previously released on DVD as Cold Case: The Complete Edition, by CBS Productions (ISBN 8-5857-9659-6), on 44 dual-layer disks, in a single boxed set. This set is out of print..."

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    soundboy and FVDnz like this.
  2. GregM

GregM The expanding man

The Night Of definitely qualifies.

I don't know if Mad Dogs was brilliant, but it sure was entertaining.

3. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Boomtown
    Significant Others
    Firefly
    Deadwood
    Life On Mars (US version)
    Pushing Daisies

4. hanleyp

hanleyp Forum Resident

Life
    Television Program
    NBC · Ended 2009 · Crime

A former police officer returns to the force after having been wrongly imprisoned for years.

Creator:Rand Ravich
    Stars:Damian Lewis, Sarah Shahi, Adam Arkin

Only 2 season but we really liked it not your typical cop show. Several different story lines running simultaneously with very interesting characters.

rd1 likes this.
  5. geralmar

geralmar Forum Resident

The Searcher (1993). Seven 30-minute episodes. Diedrich Bader as motorcyclist do-gooder.

VR.5 (1995). Thirteen episodes.

War of the Worlds. (1988). Two unrelated seasons.

Hawk (1966). Burt Reynolds as detective with black partner.

My World and Welcome to It (1969-70). William Windom in James Thurber-related episodes (30 minutes).

Fish Police (1992). Six episodes; three broadcast. Cartoon. Not on long enough for me to from an opinion.

6. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

This topic has come up a few times here before, and the first show that always pops into my head is Frank's Place.

7. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Mr. Sunshine (1986) with Jeffrey Tambor as a blind professor. It was very funny and could have lasted more than 11 episodes.

Limitless based on the film about the pill that makes you smart also only lasted a season. That one was a good concept and was pretty inventive in its storytelling, using different filming and acting styles in some episodes to keep it fresh. I would have liked to see another season.

FVDnz and Solaris like this.
  8. geralmar

geralmar Forum Resident

Sheriff Who (1967). John Astin as outlaw gang leader who eliminates a new sheriff at the end of every episode. Thirty-minute pilot episode (with Dick Shawn) only. Finally premise was scrapped and a tv movie was made with Astin's character, "Evil Roy Slade" (1972).

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  9. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

agree on party down esp but maybe its better off....like the uk's office 2 brilliant seasons and done.

Damien DiAngelo and Sternodox like this.
  10. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

You're probably right. But the characters on Party Down were all so damn perfect that I would love to have had at least a couple more episodes. I wish they'd have brought back Ricky Sargulesh. Steven Weber was brilliant as the slightly demented Armenian (or perhaps Russian?) gangster. Cute girlfriend (Maria Zyrianova) too!

11. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

ha good episode! would've loved one more season but there are so few perfect show (I think if it kept going they could've burnt out the on/off again couple angle)

Sternodox likes this.
  12. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

That's always the danger ... knowing when to stop. Leaving people wanting more and wrapping it up at the peak of the actors' and writers' game is probably a good strategy. Leave behind a solid legacy!

13. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

I just found out that Last Man On Earth was cancelled. :realmad:

14. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

David Lynch's On The Air. Summer 1992.

The series follows the staff of a fictional 1950s television network, Zoblotnick Broadcasting Company (ZBC), as they produce a live variety program called The Lester Guy Show—often with disastrous results. Starring David Lander (Squiggy from Laverne & Shirley) and Miguel Ferrer.

In the United States only three of the seven filmed episodes were aired, but the first-and-only season was broadcast in its entirety in the United Kingdom and several other European countries.

15. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

And it made the 'Party Down' episode of 'Childrens Hospital' so much more meaningful and significant! :D

[​IMG]

Gavinyl and Sternodox like this.
  16. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Outsourced-a very sweet show about an Indian call center.
    Better Off Ted-already mentioned a few times, and rightfully so.
    Monday Mornings-great medical drama with Alfred Molina.
    Political Animals-a miniseries that could have been so much more, with Sigourney Weaver.
    Party Down-killed way too soon.
    Togetherness-from the Duplass brothers, two seasons and out on HBO.
    Roadies-a much criticized series from Cameron Crowe, but it had a great cast lead by Luke Wilson and Carla Cugino.
    Good Girls Revolt-great 60's era drama about female employees of a newsmagazine fighting for their rights, based on a true story. Cancelled by Amazon after one season for no good reason.
    Tell Me You Love Me-hyper realistic story of three couples and the therapist who helps them.
    AfterMASH-sweet series about Korean war vets and their reintegration to American life after the war.
    Joey-about a well-meaning but slightly dense actor and his search for fame in Los Angeles.
    I'm kidding about those last two.

17. Frankh

Frankh Lucky Man

The Dana Carvey Show

The people who worked on this show with him boggle the mind.

Had it succeeded, the course of history in American entertainment would have been changed profoundly.

Lownote30 and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

Good choices!

Splungeworthy likes this.
  19. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

I’m re-watching Carnivale now! Great show.

gogators1 likes this.
  20. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've tried to watch it but its too deadly dull for me.

21. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

I thought this show was a great candidate for worst show ever. Abysmal, IMO.

22. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

No accounting for a taste in bad taste I guess. :cry: :wantsome:

Does anyone else remember a very short-lived early '80s sitcom called (I think) Open All Night? It had a 7-11/mini-mart type store setting with an ex-football player employee... Joe Green or Rosie Greer, I can't remember, never an American football watcher. It was probably a U.S. copy of the British 'Open All Hours'. I thought it was great but never saw more than the first episode for some reason.

sloaches likes this.
  23. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

Two shows that starred the beautiful Sarah Shahi, Life and Fairly Legal. It's the death sentence for any show i like, both of these lasted two seasons.

efraley likes this.
  24. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

Anchorwoman. Best show ever! o_O I binge watch the only episode that aired all the time. :doh:

Anchorwoman

25. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

The Feather And Father Gang. Pity; I had been in love with Stephanie Powers since The Girl From U.N.C.L.E.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.