TV Shows that didn't hang around long enough (aka Brilliant but Cancelled)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, Jun 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

I don't believe I ever watched the show but looked it up on imdb. The football player was Bubba Smith.

Doug

beccabear67 and sloaches like this.
  2. Anybody remember a "one and done" show from the mid-'80s called Boone? It was about a small town kid with aspirations to make it in the music biz, loosely based on Elvis's early career IIRC, and as I recall it was pretty good.

3. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I skimmed the thread, but if I missed it, "to err is human" and all that.

Veronica Mars

Lasted 3 seasons (and got a Kickstarter final movie to tie up loose ends), so technically not sure if it qualifies, but there were at least a couple more seasons that it could have easily supported. Kristen Bell was so good in it, I could have watched her voiceover herself on a stakeout for an entire season.

4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

My brothers and I loved Parker Lewis Can't Lose. The first two seasons were great. I was part of an online community of fans when the show was on air and the TV show Entertainment Tonight even did a feature on the group. It was great fun and really added to the show.

When Season 3 started I was really disappointed. It felt like they were changing direction and making it, well more commercial and palatable for the mass audience. So as sad as it was that it was cancelled, I felt it was for the best. I don't think even the producers were happy about the direction and IIRC it was something the networked pushed for.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

"Crazy Like A Fox"! Wow, I forgot about that show but I really liked it. I'll have to see if I can track down the DVD.

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  6. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Lynch fan here so obviously Hotel Room and On The Air come to mind.
    Recent shows that I miss are Penny Dreadful and Quarry.

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Ashes ..
    Period detail is a bit iffy, but great soundtrack.

8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I never got around to watching the US version. I thought the cast was pretty great but I heard the show was lacking compared to the UK version, due to network interference.

9. REMASTERANTER

REMASTERANTER Ahhhhhh...

10. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

11. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

It's ain't a party without Bob.

12. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Black Books - hilarious English comedy!
    Highly recommend!
    [​IMG]

13. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I have just now noticed that The Paul Lynde Show will be on Antenna TV at 6:30PM Eastern, starting with episode one today. I don't think this was ever in syndication.

Then Lotsa Luck with Dom DeLuise at 7PM, episode eight today. If this has been on Antenna TV for the previous episodes, I missed it.

14. sakuraba

sakuraba Forum Resident

A&E's Cultureshock series just aired a great Freaks and Geeks documentary the other night

questrider and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

Thanks for the alert! I missed these tonight, but will be watching them going forward. Looks like The Paul Lynde Show has a good roster of guest stars to look forward to, and Lotsa Luck has Kathleen Freeman, whom I always enjoy.

16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I’d agree to an extent.

Deadwood
    was a bit of a mess even by the third season (Rome as well) so to say it/they couldn’t turn themselves around (Deadwood definitely could have) is wrong (not saying you said that, but just opining a bit).

Both shows seemed to be huffing on fumes when they ended + production costs made it prohibitively impossible to continue due to the lack of viewership.

17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

3rd season was a mess.

REMASTERANTER likes this.
  18. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

It’s About Time

4_everyman and audiofool like this.
  19. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

LOVED Journeyman. A shame the show didn't continue but at least we got some closure I suppose.

Agreed about Flash Forward too...

Forever with Ioan Gruffudd and Alana de la Garza only lasted one Season but I would have liked to see more.

Dragnet with Ed O'Neill and Ethan Embry was pretty good, then they decided to add more pointless characters thus pushing Embry's character to the background, not to mention renaming the show "LA Dragnet" in its 2nd Season. Also makes me wonder whether Roselyn Sanchez and Eva Longoria were used for eye candy, lol.

While The Dead Zone with Anthony Michael Hall lasted 6 Seasons, it's a shame the show wouldn't continue with Johnny's ultimate downfall in attempting to assassinate Greg Stillson like in the Christopher Walken movie. Would have been hard for AMH's version of the character to descend that way as he was quite a likable Johnny. I suppose Shawn Piller did the best he could to continue the series as his father Michael Piller passed away during the series. Always thought Piller was the reason why Deep Space Nine was so good too.

Also thinking about the spinoffs from Battlestar Galactica and Babylon 5 (Caprica and Crusade) that only lasted one season thus ultimately cancelled.

There are a number of Animated Series too that I wish could have continued, but most of the time, toy sales seem to affect the said show's fate - or other channels pick up the show and cancel them in favour of another version.

The Spectacular Spider-Man (ultimately getting shafted in favour of the inferior Ultimate Spider-Man)
    He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (by Mike Young) (2oo2)
    Wolverine and the X-Men

So glad Star Wars The Clone Wars is coming back, due to the recent reveal at San Diego Comic Con. :)

Jack Lord and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. WKRP In Cincinnati should have had a couple of more seasons.

21. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Nah, it just got a little smooshed when they tried to squeeze seasons 3 & 4 together.

22. Charles Adams

Charles Adams Forum Resident

The Book of Daniel (2006) starring Aidan Quinn as the Rev. Daniel Webster, an unconventional Episcopalian priest. Fabulous drama/comedy cancelled before it could complete its first season. I luckily have it on DVD.

tim_neely likes this.
  23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yes, I agree. It feels unfinished with season 4 which makes sense since they thought they would get renewed.

24. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

My Friend Flicka-Tales Of The Texas Rangers[very good series].

25. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

I liked FOXs cartoon series Bordertown. Maybe I was the only person that enjoyed it.

DHamilton likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.