TV Stand w/ room for turntable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gerry Todd, Sep 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerry Todd

Gerry Todd Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm moving and would like to ditch my large A/V furniture with one TV stand/entertainment center that can fit a TV, turntable, CD player, DVD player, TiVo and Apple TV. I've searched but haven't had much luck. Anyone know about any A/V furniture that would fit my needs?

2. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Depending on how stable the floors are, you may need a wall mount for at least the table. Have you checked out the new place? Solid floors?

3. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

[​IMG] You could get something like a Boltz adjustable rack. A double tall shelf will clear a turntable dust cover, then just add enough shelves for whatever else you want.

Is wall mounting your TV out of the question?

Are you really playing your turntable and CD player through your TV speakers?

4. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

There is a ton of stuff out there. What style are you looking to fit? Modern, Mid-Cent Modern, etc...

I bought a stickley piece to put in my listening room, they make a few, but that is arts & crafts style.

5. Agree lots of choices and some really beautiful a/v furniture these days.

But I find most stereo folks don't want to invest in quality pieces.

But check IKEA, decent design and fairly cheap. Just won't last a lifetime.

For real quality check out Room & Board online. Beirful well made furniture but more expensive. But will last.

6. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

We mounted the TV in our front parlor on a vintage heavy duty professional easel that my wife found at a place that recycles art supplies and equipment. It took a little work to adapt it, but it works great, looks very cool and the thing is very substantial.
    As for turntables and gear, I've used various things in addition to the specialty audio racks from finite elemente, grand prix, etc. One was a massive mahogany prayer table- not a true antique- found it in a warehouse sale of a high end furniture store.
    I dig the industrial look too, and that Boltz thing posted by @SquishySounds would be cool; you can also buy stainless steel equipment at restaurant supply houses that is surprisingly cheap, or workbenches that have provision for wooden tops. The only concern I'd have about all metal is the ringing--you'd need to do some constrained layer work (DIY) using some damping material/butcher block or whatever; also not sure what the metal would do in relation to the electronics- Faraday cage?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  7. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I got something super similar to this: Target : Expect More. Pay Less.
    I wall mounted the TV because I wouldn't be able to open the TT dust cover with it mounted there, but it works well. Holds all my AV gear with ease and gives me a little extra space too. The TT is the only thing on the top shelf.

8. Gerry Todd

Thanks for the feedback! Forgot to include my Peachtree Integrated amp. No, I'd never play through the TV speakers! I'll check some of these out.

Also, the floors are very nice. Hardwood.

9. Gerry Todd

The home is vintage and beautifully restored, but I am partial to all type of modern decor.

10. Gerry Todd

Considering this. If I move the base of the TV over (where the screen hangs past the shelf), it leaves plenty of room for a turntable, the TiVo and Apple TV on too, and A/V on the open shelves underneath.

chill white media console

11. Gerry Todd

12. Not sure if I would personally go with a metal storage console for media gear. Seems like too much reflection and metallic vibration.

JNTEX likes this.
  13. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Salamander.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But it's kinda large AV furniture.

14. Gerry Todd

I have a Salamander tower, and it's what I'm trying to get away from. Want something modern with a low profile, and right now I'm favoring the Chill White Media console from CB2.

15. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

Furniture is so subjective in taste. Most of y'all would puke at what I have...chunky oak stuff, but it works in it's place.

I also don't have a TV in my room....but that CB2 piece looks cool.

Gerry Todd likes this.
  16. putz

putz Forum Resident

17. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

That looks really nice. Enjoy!

18. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Check out IKEA online.

19. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I've looked at most of the links and pix in this thread, and there are some really nice pieces...that are all overly-expensive and the same shape.

Am I missing something here, or are The Furniture Authorities all saying, "don't worry, we all agree on what shape cabinets you will have under your televisions, so there's no need to re-invent the wheel here."?

What if I don't need three cabinets under my set limiting my decor choices? What if all I want nearby is a DVR; does that mean I should be grateful I now have a handy place to store my Intellivision, my mom's Jackie Evancho CD collection, Dad's WWII VHS collection from the History Channel...and finally I have an out-of-the-way place to ditch all those National Geographics I intend on canceling once Cousin Ricky's kid stops doing Jr. High magazine drives?

20. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

I feel your pain, it's been 2 years i am looking for one of those that could fit tv, tt, amp, bdp, tuner, tv box, mediacenter, streamer and phono pre...

Nothing on the market.

I finally located someone who will build it custom made for me. More expensive but at least i get exactly what i want.
    This will be my christmas gift (if annual bonuses are good this year only of course).

21. Gerry Todd

What about the bigger piece from CB2? Would this fit your needs?
    Chill Large White Media Console

I just need the one with 3 shelves, because the streamer (Apple TV) is tiny, and can fit under the TV on the top shelf with the TiVo. My amp, CD player and BDP will fit nicely on the shelves. With the base of the TV pushed over, I can still have a big screen with plenty of room for the turntable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.