TV stars who were fired?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Sep 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

Vidiot and sunspot42 like this.
  2. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

I thought Susan Somers split because she wanted more cash, and more time in the spot light?

3. That is correct. According to David Cassidy, Jeremy Gelbwaks was a hyperactive horror show who got along with absolutely no one. The entire show wanted him gone so they cooked up the "parents moving" story and fired him. Many years later I saw a bunch of the cast reunited on some talk show and it was clear that they still didn't like him (the rest of the cast ignored him) and he came across as being a rather strange individual.

4. Her husband Alan Hamel, a game and talk show host, decided he was a high powered agent and demanded a 500 % raise and a piece of the profits for Somers. She did a bunch of shows via 60 second telephone calls while the producers were waiting for her contract to end, upon which they fired her. Someone should have told Hamel that large-breasted blondes were a dime a dozen in Hollywood.

Johnny Rocker and Grand_Ennui like this.
  5. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Both Randall Carver and Jeff Conaway on Taxi.

6. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

Best thing that ever happened to Somers.

Remember the ThighMaster? Suzanne Somers wins honors - NBC News

sunspot42 likes this.
  7. lids3qy

lids3qy Forum Resident

As Norm often said, "That's what the Germans want you to believe."

zebop likes this.
  8. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Class One Supervisor 194; Code Name: Gary Seven

Ginger Ale and sunspot42 like this.
  9. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is this simply a random Star Trek reference or are you implying Robert Lansing was difficult to work with on Assignemnt: Earth as well?

10. Johnny Rocker

Thanks, a little secret ill pass your way, I'm related as a 2nd or 3rd cousin to one of the actors, lol, shhh don't tell anyone.:righton:

kevywevy likes this.
  11. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Worth noting that the show was originally called "Valerie". :)

Grand_Ennui and sunspot42 like this.
  12. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

According to David Cassidy it was a good thing though, as Jeremy didn't get along with any of the cast members or the producers!

13. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

It's a specific reference.

sunspot42 likes this.
  14. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

What the hell..... :laugh:

15. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Alan Hamel wanted Suzanne Somers to get paid more than John Ritter because he thought Somers was bringing in viewers. However, in John Ritter's contact, it stated he has to be the highest paid actor on the show. On top of that, both Somers' and Joyce DeWitt's contracts stated that both actresses were to get paid the same. So, once the math was done based on Hamel's demands, and if everything worked out according to their contracts, the 3 main actors together would have received close to $500K....and this was before paying other actors, scripts, etc.

This was in the late 70s too.

Grand_Ennui and Johnny Rocker like this.
  16. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

And Arthur Godfrey's career began its slide into invisibility.

sunspot42, goodiesguy and GTOJUDGE like this.
  17. Johnny Rocker

$500 clams, is some good dough for back then, heck its even good for today's workers. I think the cast was balanced, its a shame she had to go, but the other 2 that replaced her weren't half bad either. Works for me.:cool:

Benno123 likes this.
  18. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

My old man remembered that for years. That was the end of him watching Godfrey.
    My old man may have been a cruel sob, but you never washed your dirty laundry in public. Godfrey was on the s**t list permanently.

fr in sc and sunspot42 like this.
  19. Johnny Rocker

Bro, that picture of that gal having her head sucked by a giraffe, that picture cracks me up.:p

Drifter likes this.
  20. I remember a contemporaneous TV Guide story with Sommers whining that the producers were trying to "kill her career". Like she needed their help.

sunspot42 likes this.
  21. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Jenilee Harrison (is that name right?) was so-so, to me she was on par with Suzanne Sommers... I preferred Priscilla Barnes over either of them...

905, j_rocker, Johnny Rocker and 2 others like this.
  22. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The writers made a wise decision with Priscilla Barnes, making her a sexy blonde who is NOT an airhead, rather than a copy of Sommers' character.

23. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

I just read his wiki page, he went on a firing spree it seems.

24. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Exactly...

That was pat of the problem with Chrissy's cousin Cindy, it's like they were going for "Chrissy pt. 2"...

sunspot42 and Benno123 like this.
  25. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

IIRC, Harrison was never intended to be a permanent replacement. They slotted her into the episodes wherein Sommers was finishing out her contract (always appearing "on the phone" in segments that were filmed separately from the rest of the episode). It wouldn't surprise me if those shows in which Cindy appeared were originally written for Sommers, in fact. Once Sommers was fully gone, they set about finding a permanent replacement, and demoted Harrison to an occasional featured role.

Benno123 and Grand_Ennui like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.