TV1 "Unsung" music series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lugnut2099, Jul 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone been watching these shows on TV One? It's essentially a "Behind the Music" type series focusing exclusively on R&B/soul acts who didn't quite get their due. Just watched the Billy Preston episode, which is a must-see for any fan. I always liked his music, but never knew much about the man, so it was a bit of a stunner to find out how messed-up his life was.

The only other episode I've seen in its entirety was for Evelyn "Champagne" King, who I only knew from her handful of hits, but it was a pretty fascinating watch too. Anybody know of any other episodes in the series that are particularly worth checking out?

2. dotwacky

dotwacky Forum Resident

This is a great series. So far, I've seen the Tammi Terrell, George Clinton, Minnie Ripperton, Heatwave and Bootsy Collins episodes. All of them were fantastic. Really well done.

3. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Agreed. Great series. It's like "Behind The Music" but with class. Of course, I liked Donny Hathaway's because we finally learned about the condition that killed him. I haven't seen an episode that I didn't like. Still need to see the Billy Preston episode as I keep missing it.

Ed

4. I watch. I agree, they are all well done. I think they even have a fan vote to see who they'll do stories on for the new season.

5. dmt

dmt Forum Resident

They did a Teena Marie one just before she passed away, it was pretty awesome.

6. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I just saw the Billy Preston one today- fascinating, as it showed his immense talent AND immense demons that ultimately destroyed him. And the revelations about his personal life were quite interesting, as I suspect no one in the general public knew that he was gay.

7. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

This is a great show- a lot of episodes are kind of depressing though! Just watched the Preston episode...fascinating...his demons and the scandals of his life have certainly hurt his rep (he was mentored by Ray Charles, played with Beatles and Stones, for cryin' out loud!). The Ohio Players episode is worth catching...made me realize they definitely are underrated and had a real influence on Prince...

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Oh, Billy Preston's life would definitely make an eye-opening TV movie.

9. Nostaljack

Yeah, I didn't know that either. Didn't know he was so tortured and unsatisfied...

Ed

10. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

600 channels and I don't have TV One :confused:, bummer it sounds right up my alley.

11. Nostaljack

12. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

13. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Just a heads up to those of you who might not have noticed: TVOne is airing all 100 episodes of Unsung that have been produced over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. Right now, the episode is about Tammi Terrell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.