TVShowsOnDVD.com: Offline the last several days

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by SonicZone, May 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonicZone

SonicZone Senior Member Thread Starter

Been down since last Thursday. They claim that it's "database maintenance," but that's usually an overnight/less-than-24-hour operation.

Sure hope Gord Lacey's site isn't going to fall by the wayside; I rely on it a lot as do many others.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

3. Michael

IIRC, it was sold years back.

4. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I've noticed this too. I'm not sure when their Facebook page ceased existence, but that apparently has happened too.

5. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

From their Twitter feed May 17th:

We're doing some work on the site right now, so it's offline for a bit. We'll post when it's back to normal. -Gord

MikaelaArsenault and OldSoul like this.
  6. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

TVShowsOnDVD.com - Goodbye

Today, we are taking TVShowsOnDVD.com permanently offline and moving exclusively to publishing on social media.
    We appreciate your support over the years. Our users have always been the best, whether they were catching up on the news while sipping coffee, or just checking on the status of a few favorite shows.

This may be "goodbye" from the site you know and love, but Dave and I will remain active on Twitter (twitter.com/tvshowsondvd) and Facebook (facebook.com/TVShowsOnDVD) and work to keep you informed of new releases.

Gord Lacey​

MikaelaArsenault and OldSoul like this.
  7. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Boooooooooooooo

8. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

9. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

I'll miss their site, but losing TVTattle.com a few years ago was a bigger deal to me. One guy, Norman Weiss, compiled links about TV shows from all kinds of critics and columnists on his site. Handy as hell.

10. ClassicalCD

ClassicalCD Make audio great again

I remember frequenting this site many years ago before I gave up entirely not only on DVD collecting but on all TV and movies. It is a little shocking seeing it simply disappear. So much information has been lost. This is the fate of anything 'digital': oblivion. If you value something, purchase a hard copy.

11. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

About the Internet Archive
    [​IMG]
    The Internet Archive, a 501(c)(3) non-profit, is building a digital library of Internet sites and other cultural artifacts in digital form. Like a paper library, we provide free access to researchers, historians, scholars, the print disabled, and the general public. Our mission is to provide Universal Access to All Knowledge.

We began in 1996 by archiving the Internet itself, a medium that was just beginning to grow in use. Like newspapers, the content published on the web was ephemeral - but unlike newspapers, no one was saving it. Today we have 20+ years of web history accessible through the Wayback Machine and we work with 450+ library and other partners through our Archive-It program to identify important web pages.

As our web archive grew, so did our commitment to providing digital versions of other published works. Today our archive contains:

Anyone with a free account can upload media to the Internet Archive. We work with thousands of partners globally to save copies of their work into special collections.

chilinvilin and PhantomStranger like this.
  12. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

So is the site gone forever?

13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Yes. Presence on FB and Twitter only. SEE POST # 6 IN THIS THREAD

audiomixer and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  14. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Now that’s ridiculous. Social media only?

15. Michael

they will be missed...not into FB.

16. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

SEE POST # 8 IN THIS THREAD

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  17. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Makes a lot of sense, financially. Revenue from ads and such has been going down for everyone for years while website hosting has gone up.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  18. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

My LAST social media was MySpace. So they just don't want me around anymore because my chances of doing FaceBook is nil.

19. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Won't help with anything from this week on looking at archives.

20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

This is social media.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  21. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

You can always check Twitter without an account.

22. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

The amount of old TV being released any more is so miniscule that you aren't missing much. Other than Warner Archive and Shout Factory, who even does any archival releases any more?

23. Never understood why sites like TVShowsOnDVD didn't charge a nominal fee so they would have incentive to stay in business or sell to someone that would continue it as a business. Instead, they just abandon something that many come to utilize on a whim because they get tired of it. I have learned that free sites are not reliable.

Anyway ...has anyone figured out how to find the recent DVD releases on the socially-inept media sites? I see the page-after-page of inane comments, but where is the news info we used to get?

24. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

If you want to stick with actual websites, Blu-ray.com has a News tab with the more interesting Blu-ray (and sometimes DVD) releases, and a DVD tab that has the current week's releases.

Not as easy to simply glance at as TVShowsOnDVD was, but, give it a try.

25. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Judging by their comments, I don't think they shut it down on a whim or because they tired of it. They probably did get tired of having to keep paying for it though.

Nominal fees can work. I know of some fan sites where you need to pay a nominal fee to join and another hi-fi site I'm on is free however they have two paid tier memberships that give you some extras. But they are rare.

Even paid sites aren't reliable.

Hopefully they'll keep their social media channels updated. They did say they wouldn't be updated as frequently as the website but that they will be posting via those channels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.