Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray Due 29th July 2014

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry Horne, Dec 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

The trays were free of glue on my copy. There were two pieces of glue at the bottom edge of the box which held a thin plastic cover, but were easy to remove, and didn't interfere with the trays.

2. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

No problems to report regarding glue issues. I'm wondering if the sets in North America and the sets in Europe were manufactured at different facilities. A lot of people on any of the other forums that are having issues appear to have bought theirs from amazon.uk.

3. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

I bought mine from the UK and it's perfect.

4. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

No problems with my set at all, no sync issues or trays coming unglued. I have read that some people have unsealed theirs to find the ribbon that holds the entire thing together is torn and that the wallet like pages have come complete undone. I guess I got lucky.

5. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

I had audio sync issues sometimes with the DVD gold edition set, maybe it carried over to the blu? Don't have the blu. Not sure if I'll get it or not. I like the earlier episodes and some of the later ones, I think the series goes off kilter for awhile in the middle. There's things I really like about it, and things I don't like. But what other series has Julie from the mod squad and a place called "Big Ed's Gas Farm"?

6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Watching "FIre Walk with Me" for the first time. Wow, the Blu-ray image and sound is phenomenal.

7. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Best opening credits, ever. :)

Plinko likes this.
  8. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I noticed that the boom mics that were always noticeable in two scenes during the series have been removed.

Rupe33 likes this.
  9. More likely just has the proper crop mask. Many films have showed things like that when wrongly cropped or projected

10. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Here's the definitive answer on what was on prior releases but left off this blu-ray set. From Josh Zyber's review at High Def Digest.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/12231/twinpeakstheentiremystery.html
    Shame about that. I can't remember what I thought of the comentaries, but its too bad the SNL sketch and those Japanese commercials were left off. I thought they were pretty cool, and the SNL sketch is one of my all time favorites. Still, this is a pretty comprehensive set.

11. Not so far.

12. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Final status report:

Packaging is perfect; no scratched discs and nothing coming loose. The box has an odd smell and, even after a couple of weeks, I can't decide if I like it or hate it.
    The Missing Pieces is slightly out of sync, but not enough that it bothers me after I've noticed it.
    Episode 9; chapter 1 is horribly out of sync - bad enough to be distracting. Much, MUCH worse than the MP.
    Can't play the interviews on disc 9; every time I try the player just makes an odd noise like it's jerking back and forth trying to find an access point, then it just gives up and the display reads "stop." Been trying for a week now; no luck. Hopefully it'll work on the next player I buy. Everything else played flawlessly. Possibly because there's not a ton of trailers and legal warnings before the main menu.

Minor nit-picky complaint: I really wish they'd chapter-stopped the start of the episodes right after the opening credits. When you're binge-watching lots of episodes one after the other, it's annoying trying to fast-forward through the credits every time. I am pretty happy they moved the "previously on" tags to a menu option.

johnnyyen and Mr. H like this.
  13. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I'm up to episode 14 so far. This is the first time I've watched the complete series, as I missed several episodes, and eventually lost track when the series was first broadcast. Apparently there's a dip in quality in the later episodes, although I'm finding it fairly consistent so far, even if I prefer the episodes when David Lynch is in the director's chair. When does mediocrity set in?

14. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

After the killer is revealed.

15. hotsoup

hotsoup Forum Resident

I agree. During my first viewing, the show could do no wrong. It was probably the second time I watched it (on VHS) where I remember getting impatient with some of the different plot arcs after Laura's main mystery got resolved.

16. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I don't think mediocrity ever really set in, but it reminds me of the second season of shows like "Lost" or "The Walking Dead" when the producers realize "****, we've got a hit and have to continue this..." when they never imagined they'd have to.

17. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

After the murder is solved (ep 16) until Heather Graham shows up and the Windom Earle story goes full gear there's some rough viewing. The stuff with Nadine's lost memory is brutal. The show picks up again towards the end, and then there's the last episode stunner.

Big Pasi likes this.
  18. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Nadine's memory loss, and the beauty contest. Ugh.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  19. The evil kid and James and the evil woman were the two lowest points to me. They were both meaningless time-fillers and "James" acting is almost as wooden as Heather Graham's. The Annie plot is great but every time she opens her mouth for more than five seconds she pulls me out of the scene and I can only wonder how Lynch could have cast such a poor actor (okay, I know why). Other than that, I've found the second season to be better than I'd recalled. I had the synch issues in episode 9 but it wasn't bad enough to really bug me. Other than that, no synch problems, everything has played properly and my box set still smells, too. Gonna tackle the movie and it's extras this weekend.

20. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Oh, and James singing that song in a really high voice.

NOS300B likes this.
  21. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

As bad as it was, I loved that scene. James channeling Chris Isaak.

kevywevy likes this.
  22. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I always thought that the pay-off of that scene trumps the pain of watching him lip-synch that song.

Big Pasi and ad180 like this.
  23. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Episode 16 was fantastic. Perhaps they should have ended it there? Anyway, I guess it's downhill from here until the finale.

24. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I like Nadine going back to high school. I thought it was funny when she started dating Bobby's friende (Mike?).

But yeah, that was pretty cringe inducing.

25. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I had no problem believing that Jacoby was such an awful psychologist that he would think that just letting her pretend to be a high school-aged girl would somehow be a proper form of treatment. What I couldn't accept was that a> anyone would be foolish enough to ever hire him or take his advice and that b> every single person in town (especially the teachers and kids at the high school) would somehow think it was a good idea to play along with this nonsense.

I also had pretty much the same reaction to everyone playing along with Ben Horne's civil war stuff. I thought we were supposed to LIKE the people in this town?

But nothing- I repeat: NOTHING - flummoxed me more than Josie's "death." I simply cannot believe that Lynch had anything to do with that train wreck of a scene. Not just the content, which was crappy enough, but the execution. For all the eye-rolling I did with James having an out of town adventure and Nadine becoming a super powered teenager and the devil!kid storyline that went nowhere very slowly, the single worst moment in the series, for me, was how they handled Josie.

Sometimes even the greatest of albums will have a track written by the drummer. It happens, but it ain't pretty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.