Twin Peaks Soundtrack Vinyl Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ad180, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Registred

Registred Forum Resident

Thanks ! I thought that they were only selling their own stuff. I didn't realize that they were selling other labels too.

Mateo Sanboval likes this.
  2. Buckyball

Buckyball Forum Resident

Are you sure you didn't have the headphones flipped around the wrong way? ;)

3. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

This is great to hear. You are the first I've heard of to not hear anything. Sounds like a bad batch. I'll return mine to Amazon and wait for my Japanese imports.

4. Jerry Horne

I'm thinking I have the rare Electrical edition.

Buckyball likes this.
  5. Jerry Horne

Psst. Windswept vinyl on the 22nd from IDIB.

Buckyball likes this.
  6. crazybeats

crazybeats Forum Resident

Their shipping from Italy to the UK is very very high.

7. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident Thread Starter

They aren't in Italy, they are in California.

AaronW and crazybeats like this.
  8. crazybeats

crazybeats Forum Resident

That explains the very high cost then.

9. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

The Death Waltz is considered bad? I know they were pressed at the so-so 'Rainbo' plant but the actual SQ is superb. I did have to exchange my copies of both due to severe warps but when I got clean copies the sound is super good.

10. Registred

Registred Forum Resident

I personnaly bought the Rhino version because it's cheaper for European but there are several bad comments on this thread about the death waltz version. That's why I said it got bad reviews.

11. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

My Death Waltz Twin Peaks LPs sound great.

marcfeld69, misterie and Rupe33 like this.
  12. Registred

Registred Forum Resident

Both of your reviews are as valuable as the previous bad one. I just summarized the state of the debate in my previous comment:)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  13. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Has anyone compared either of the new vinyl reissues to the original Twin Peaks CD (currently £2.80 from Amazon and one of the best sounding discs in my collection)?

14. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I have the Death Waltz Twin Peaks LP and on my system the vinyl and CD were very close, with the CD getting the edge due to pressing issues on the vinyl and better dynamics. I recall thinking that in the case of a really high quality CD like the original TP soundtrack we shouldn't assume a vinyl reissue will be better. Add to that the vagaries of Rainbo pressed records QC issues and the odds increase that the risk of disappointment is high.

Good to know WB/Rhino is offering their own versions of these titles, I've found their pressing quality to be uniformally high.

marcfeld69, Mr.Sneis and candyflip69 like this.
  15. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

Wow, been a while since I revisited this thread but with today's release date for the Rhino vinyl (which apparently is now pushed back) I had a real greenhorn type observation...

The Mondo record matches the good old CD's track listing which I own ("soundtrack"?) while the Rhino vinyl does not ("score"?)...

Mondo:
    Twin Peaks (Original Score)

Rhino:
    Twin Peaks: Limited Event Series [Score] (LP)

I do notice some tracks overlap and some vendors using soundtrack and score interchangeably. Also Rhino choosing the gimmicky route with green vinyl, at least they are also doing black, ugh. Quite confusing!

16. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Yep, I got a delay confirmation from Amazon today.

17. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

Those are two scores, Mr. Sneis. The Death Waltz (a Mondo imprint/sub-label) is a reissue of the Season 1 score from 1990(ish) and the Rhino you linked to is the score for the limited event series/season 3 which just aired in 2017. There is also a soundtrack for tis most recent season; it is being released by Rhino as well. Hope that helps.

18. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I went to Reckless Records today and they didn't have them, either. Bummer.

19. MonkeysCantSwing

MonkeysCantSwing Forum Resident

Got mine in the post today. Green vinyl. Costed me around $20 (including p&p). Haven't have time to listen properly, but looks great for sure.

20. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

Wow I am out of the loop! I haven't watched the new season yet but thank you for clearing that up for me!

I will hold off on these records, was bit by the Mondo bug and regretted both releases.

21. Mateo Sanboval

No sweat, sir. I will say that while I was not overly enthused with the DWRC/Mondo versions of the original Twin Peaks score and Fire Walk With Me, I was thrilled with the quality of the Warner/Rhino pressings for those same LPs that came out shortly afterwards. I don't have them in hand, but I definitely pre-ordered both Warner/Rhino LPs for this recent series with confidence based on that experience.

22. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

OK so that is super confusing. I think you are saying Rhino released the regular old soundtracks (but in UK only?) and these USA releases today are not the same. Will definitely import the Rhino's when I get some more funds.

23. Mateo Sanboval

Sorry, thought you were up to date on that. Rhino reissued the same material as Death Waltz (Twin Peaks season 1 Score and TP:FWWM score), but for the 'rest of World" territory (aka not North America). They can be imported through Amazon very reasonably. I believe I paid $22 a piece for them. They are sterling. Rhino is also releasing the season 3 score and soundtrack so I would (and did) buy those with confidence based on how good their earlier reissues were. Especially in comparison to the Death Waltz reissues (which weren't bad, but the Rhinos were much better).

Mr.Sneis likes this.
  24. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

The Death Waltz/Mondo releases are perfectly fine. As I already stated before, the pressing plant used was not good so 50/50 whether a good copy arrives but the actual mastering and lacquer cut is superb. I doubt sonically the Rhino is better - most likely the same master is used but new lacquers cut.

They are different enough to co-exist.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  25. Mateo Sanboval

So you just said it yourself: the Rhinos are better. I don't think anyone is saying that the DWRC LPs don't deserve to be owned or listened to. Certainly not me. I was one of their biggest defenders in the early going of the thread. They are dead lovely and my copies sound fine. That said, it's largely irrelevant as to how well something is mastered if the pressing is inferior or faulty in some way. I don't know a soul who has owned both that felt the Rhino weren't better versions. At the very least Rhino used the same masters but are whisper quiet which makes for a notable improvement. So, you can pay more money for a version from DWRC that is, as you say, "50/50 whether a good copy arrives" or you can buy a universally lauded reissue from Rhino for less moolah. Everyone is free to make their own choice, obviously, but it doesn't take much to see which is the safer bet and better value. I own both so my only aim is to help other folks make their choice through accurate information.

DigMyGroove and marcfeld69 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.