Twin Peaks: The Return (2017)...*Contains Spoilers!!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry Horne, Oct 3, 2014.

1. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I gotta say; I'm pretty disappointed they're selling this as 'The Third Season' and not 'TP:Return." Not that I'm not still gonna buy it the day it comes out, but I'm just sayin'.

GentleSenator and rburly like this.
  2. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

Thank you. It's interesting that they're using The Third Season instead of The Return as the title. The bonus features will be fun.

3. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

On Blu-ray.com, someone posted this:
    "Apparently on a podcast somewhere, the same exec. producer who did the Reddit AMA [Sabrina Sutherland] said that 'The Return' was Showtime's marketing strategy, not Lynch's decision. The folks involved with the project all thought of it as Season 3."

4. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

me too, actually...

well that certainly changes a lot of the analysis i've read then and come up with in my head... geeze.

Gardo and Wounded Land like this.
  5. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Well I will be buying on release day, they can call it what they like as long as the words TWIN PEAKS appear on the front of the packaging.

Mazzy, Bowie Fett and Wounded Land like this.
  6. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Has anyone put forth the postulate that David Lynch might be effected by the use of psychoactive drugs/medication?

If it is true, then I would understand the whole Return.

7. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

That's not how DL rolls.

michaelscrutchin and bferr1 like this.
  8. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I rewatched episode 3 the other night, the one with Cooper and Naido in the Purple Zone. When he first arrives, Coop keeps looking at power socket #15. Naido leads him to safety away from whatever is off-screen making that pounding sound, and he winds up in another room where he finds "American Girl" and power socket #3. He gets sucked into power socket #3. Substitute "power socket" with "episode" and you'll see that the answer for how long Cooper would be Dougie was in front of us the whole time!

Gardo, rontoon, Bowie Fett and 4 others like this.
  9. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

Interesting that the cover is Cooper blending with Bad Coop and how "Richard" took on the characteristics of both (which has been widely theorized here and elsewhere).

Bowie Fett and Wounded Land like this.
  10. michaelscrutchin

michaelscrutchin Forum Resident

Lynch's drugs of choice are coffee and cigarettes.

He is big on Transcendental Meditation, though, which definitely comes through in his work.

Gardo, Vidiot and Wounded Land like this.
  11. rburly

I could see how there are 3 parts to our personalities (not really), but a good side, bad side and normal side. That would account for the 3 Coopers. And, I'm not a Lynch expert, but having the idea of Life is a Dream could be his/they're thoughts on Life.

12. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

I thought Limited Event Series was good, and it was also what was utilized for both of the recent soundtrack releases. The Third Season, or Season 3, seems weird after all this time...

Bowie Fett likes this.
  13. Calling it Season 3 made sense to me considering the way Season 2 ended. With all the story arcs and loose ends left in Season 3 it also would leave the door open for a Season 4.

14. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Gardo, Bowie Fett and Culpa like this.
  15. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

Last night I spent a lttle time rereading this thread from the beginning, when the first hints and rumors about the Twin Peaks revival hit Twitter and were quickly confirmed. In retrospact, now that it's all played out, it's fun to review the early thoughts and expectations of what shape the revival might take.

16. Or it means "damned if I know, go figure it out yourself ".

17. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

There's a little bit of truth to this, I think, but not in the way in which you may have meant it. DL is an extremely intuitive filmmaker. I don't get the sense that he starts with an endpoint and figures out how to get there. Instead, he starts with an image or a feeling and he works from that point on. He is not a "puzzle box" director in which everything fits into place as in some sort of vast machine, rationally determined in advance and exquisitely plotted out. To be honest, I don't think he knows the significance of his own choices. He only knows that he is moved by them (and, frankly, so am I).

After the fact, I do believe that reflection on his films reveals a structure (after all, these ideas are intutively connected to DL in some meaningful way, whether or not they are explicitly planned). In the hand of a lesser filmmaker, this would be a recipe for disaster (many think that much of his work is a disaster). But I believe that DL is a true artist, an absolute visionary who has the rare ability to access primal issues and emotions and present them to the world in an unbelievably satisfying and cathartic way.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  18. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

Very well put Wounded Land. He doesn't want to and shouldn't have to interpret his work.

LYNCH: Some things came to a conclusion. And some things dangled out there. And that’s sort of the way it is in life.

LYNCH: Amazing, amazing job, Kyle did, amazing. Kyle came out of this smelling like a rose! Not a blue rose! [laughs] (I agree. Kyle was brilliant.)

JENSEN: What was your favorite Cooper?

LYNCH: I love them all. I don’t know what type of person, but there must be a lot of them that just love Dougie. Kyle did such a good job as Dougie. You want to have a Dougie at home, to take care of and sit with and have cake and stuff.

FRANICH: Do you view “Richard,” Kyle in Part 18, as a different character from the Agent Cooper that we’ve seen previously? Should we consider that a slightly different version of the character?

LYNCH: You should look at that part again, and you could see it in different ways. I’m not gonna talk about it, though.

FRANICH: Quick follow-up question: What is the story with Billy?

LYNCH: [Laughs] [Does not answer]

JENSEN: Here at the end, there are so many story lines where I think I have to go back and wonder about threads that are connecting all of them, whether it’s Billy, whether it’s Audrey. Would you encourage that kind of review?

LYNCH: You know, it’s not a science lab. If it’s fun to think about them, then I would encourage it. Wasn’t Sherilynn Fenn great?

JENSEN: Do you have any ideas for what would be next?

LYNCH: No, I can’t talk about that.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Naw, Lynch is heavily into TM and is actually very anti-drug and alcohol. I recently worked with an editor who was part of the post crew on the original Twin Peaks, and I asked her what the director was like. Her response was that he was a very, very strange person and this is reflected in the kind of non-linear structure of the show. I told her that Lynch was credited as one of the "additional editors" on the new show and she was surprised, saying that he was actually not a technical guy at all in terms of hitting buttons on computers to edit. She didn't say he was a bad or difficult guy, just very odd and eccentric.

20. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Duh... I mean, what else would anyone expect? This is the guy who brought us Eraserhead and Mulholland Drive. It says a lot though that so many people have loved working with him.

Gardo likes this.
  21. michaelscrutchin

michaelscrutchin Forum Resident

Caffeine's a drug. Nicotine's a drug.

EDIT: Sorry, Fire Walk with Me reference. Not being a jerk. :D

bferr1, liv3evil and Wild Frank like this.
  22. rburly

I don't have extensive knowledge of him or his other work. I'm struggling with having so many loose ends and interpretations. If this is "what it means to you," then I'll accept that and move on. When everyone wondered what happened at the end of the Sopranos as I did, I eventually came to my understanding of the of what happened.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

What it means to me is that Lynch just wanted to totally F with the audience and with Showtime, and he had a big laugh on their expense. I think there's just a huge mish-mash of interesting ideas for which there was very little payoff... but I said the same thing about the second season of Twin Peaks as well.

Jesus, so is aspirin. Get real.

I think actors do, but the technical people behind the scene complain that there were organizational issues and a lot of scheduling problems, plus an inability to make certain decisions. I will say no more... but it is interesting to note that the shows we saw started shooting in late 2015, and it basically took almost a year to edit, mix, and color-correct the shows. This is extremely unusual for television, which more typically shoots about 2-3 months before air.

rburly likes this.
  24. Exactly I've watched about a dozen interviews w Lynch over the past couple of weeks. He refuses to explain any of his films. He wants the viewer to believe whatever they want. Interpret them however they see them and how we each feel they should be.

That's refreshing and works for me. I get that some folks don't like that and can't handle that and want resolution and answers.

Ain't gonna happen with Lynch

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  25. Don't try or bother to make sense if things in Lynch films.