Twin Peaks: The Return (2017)...*Contains Spoilers!!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry Horne, Oct 3, 2014.

1. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

Seems to me the viewer's assessment will be shaded depending upon whether they consider this to be the ultimate end of the piece, or whether they are of the opinion that the series is intended to continue. If the latter, then all loose ends are ones that can be resolved or addressed in some manner or form during the next go-round (all the while scattering a whole new set of loose threads, no doubt).
    As far as I know, no one on the Lynch team has ruled out continuing, and Lynch has plainly stated that it can continue (eventually), so I've considered the series through that lens. Even if they never get around to doing another series, I'll still view Season Three differently than if Lynch had indicated that this was his final statement on Twin Peaks.

marblesmike and rburly like this.
  2. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Oh please. Disembark from the Lynch Fanboy Spaceship for a minute. :) Showtime is not some widower patron of a Starving Artist (TM). It is a business. It pays Lynch & Co. X dollars and expects to receive a product - yes a product - in return that will produce at least X + 1 dollars in revenue. And the only way they're going to get that revenue is if the Artist (TM) provides a product that will appeal to an audience. When you have a successful franchise with a dedicated fan base and an iconic character you don't give them 15 hours of Dougie Jones (and hook your own character up with Berenice Marlohe and Monica Bellucci). We've had other franchises recently present new installments decades after their premieres; when Rey climbed up that mountain did she find Luke Skywalker or a giant tea kettle?

jriems, Vidiot, DVEric and 3 others like this.
  3. michaelscrutchin

michaelscrutchin Forum Resident

Showtime execs read the entire script before ponying up the money. They knew what they were getting into (mostly).

Billy Budapest likes this.
  4. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Well, they got plenty of my money that they wouldn't have got otherwise by letting Lynch do his thing.

5. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

it is. to the T.

6. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Oh man, I just thought Lynch was being brilliant in achieving consistency by having the new voice actor dub over the old footage. It made the voice a perfect match between the old and new footage.

7. PlushFieldHarpy

8. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Read the interview, it's quite good.

9. PlushFieldHarpy

I did. Just thought the implication was a little false.

10. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

I don't understand your point. Obviously Showtime is in it to make money. I don't see what that has to do with DL.

Honestly, to me this is like your favorite band reuniting after many years apart and releasing exactly the record that they want to make. Some love it, some complain that it doesn't sound like their old stuff, and the label tries to squeeze as much cash out of the whole thing as possible.

11. DVEric

DVEric Satirical Intellectual

Sorry man, but this excuse is and has been repeated ad nauseum for 30 years and it's pretentious and meaningless. Unless someone has a Phd in Lynchology, they just won't get it . . . :crazy:

jriems and rburly like this.
  12. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

probably about the equivalent of Japan's album Tin Drum to Rain Tree Crow
    or maybe Scott Walker's album Scott 4 to Tilt

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I actually enjoyed David Bowie's cameo as a giant teak kettle.

14. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

I'm sorry you feel that way, but it doesn't seem meaningless or pretentious to note that people who connect with a particular artist are more likely to appreciate his work than those who aren't. Seems like common sense to me.

rontoon likes this.
  15. Pete Norman

Pete Norman Forum Resident

16. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

That is a nice interview, indeed. Very thoughtful, even inspiring. Thanks for sharing it.

17. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

There was plenty of Twin Peaks for me. And I loved the fact that Lynch employed such an expansive set of locations and introduced so many memorable new characters, while giving most of the original cast members their moments to shine.

GentleSenator and Culpa like this.
  18. Tom Campbell

And you know this how? :D

met·a·phys·ics
    ˌmedəˈfiziks/
    noun
    1. the branch of philosophy that deals with the first principles of things, including abstract concepts such as being, knowing, substance, cause, identity, time, and space.

19. Lynch skirting on the metaphysical with Twin Peaks makes the show what it is for me.

I kind of took the dream stuff like Carlos Casteneda's view of dreaming and the "double". We are always in a state of dream, or awareness. And then maybe in a more literal sense which I attributed to Frost.

Gardo likes this.
  20. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Then don't call it Twin Peaks: The Return

21. rburly

OK, then let the viewers know that you're using peyote.

Vidiot likes this.
  22. Jungian dream theory if that suits you better.

23. Tom Campbell

Lynch is, and has never been, a drug user. He is, however, very interested in Eastern spiritual concepts that deal heavily in metaphysics. If you're literal-minded to the point that you can't engage with art that broaches these subjects, then obviously you're not going to enjoy Lynch's work. That's not a knock at all, just a fact.

24. rburly

You know, I love some of it and really dislike the rest. If a TV show or movie needs to be explained, then it's not worth watching IMHO. I also don't think that TV/movie viewers should need to know the history of a director/producer to enjoy a show or movie.

Spitfire likes this.
  25. He made it clear as possible for the viewers, to the point of having the actors explain it. The plot twists and story arcs not so much. By episode 4 into Season 1, Lynch introduced Dream analysis into the plot.