Twin Peaks: The Return (2017)...*Contains Spoilers!!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry Horne, Oct 3, 2014.

1. So what was the explanation? I always was kind of lost there.

2. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I watched the first season again over the last two nights and am about to start season two. Can't wait to get to The Event Series again. This time I just know I am going to figure it all out. :agree:

Big Pasi, questrider and Culpa like this.
  3. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I just did a spit-take all over my monitor.

To me, it's like giving somebody the set-up for an elaborate joke, then when they expect the punchline, you just leave the room. WTF?

Rupe33, wayneklein and kevywevy like this.
  5. So, the documentary passed the $250,000 mark (it is at about $273k right how) and will be made as a digital film! However, there are about 4 hours in the campaign left and if the pledges reach $300,000, then DVD’s will also be made and distributed to those people who pledged $100 or higher. So, if you want to see DVD’s come to fruition, please pledge over the next 4 hours!

The link to the Kickstarter is here:

You're being redirected to I Know Catherine, The Log Lady (with David Lynch)

Thanks—and again, my only interest in this is seeing that the DVD’s are made—I have no other connection to the project other than having pledged $100. Thanks all!!!

john hp likes this.
  6. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I've watched a couple of my favorite episodes. Can't think I'll ever watch all of them..

7. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Or leaving the viewers with just the punchline and making them write their own joke!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  8. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

“I had the green-glove idea from long ago and originally Jack Nance was going to wear it, and that would've been a whole different thing.”
    ─David Lynch in Room to Dream

Daniel Plainview and marblesmike like this.
  9. DVEric

DVEric Satirical Intellectual

What do you mean by “abstract”? What is your definition?

10. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Abstract: existing in thought or as an idea but not having a physical or concrete existence. In a motion picture, I'd call it a series of images and ideas that aren't necessarily made to be interpreted literally, but more as a metaphor. Even on that level, I think there's a lot of bull**** in the show.

12. steviej

steviej Forum Resident

When you dream, do you see yourself in first person or in third person?
    I get the feeling that's what Twin Peaks is about. As far as I can tell, the whole thing is Cooper's dream/psyche (or Richard's?). Or something like that?

Abstract, definitely. A certain amount of BS? Most likely. (I still can't even begin to come to terms with what the Road House scenes were meant to accomplish. Or Audrey's "storyline".)
    But I know I haven't been able to stop thinking about Season 3 since I watched it. There hasn't been a lot of TV that's made me feel that way, whether it's good or bad.

I felt much the same when I first heard Loveless by My Bloody Valentine. It was weird, it didn't sound normal, my friends thought I was pretentious for listening to it, and even though I didn't get it at first, there was just something there that made me keep going back to it and picking it apart. I don't think all music should do that, and I very much all TV doesn't follow Twin Peaks season 3, but it was definitely something.

bopdd and trumpet sounds like this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think it's an "it depends" situation. I've had dreams where I feel like I'm watching a movie, so it's 3rd person, but then I've had others where it feels like something that's happening to me right now. The difference is: my dreams aren't 18 hours long and they don't cost $40 million. And they don't waste an audience's time with vague plots that kind of evaporate and go nowhere.

14. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

:righton:

15. There was a lot of loose ends and story arcs that didn't make sense... Aren't they planning another season or is that how it ends?

16. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

17. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

"Washed up David Linch said I cause suffering. How many people suffered thru 18 hours of Twin Peaks last year? He's been riding the Elephant Man too long. Guy needs a haircut. Sad!" :)

18. Nope. It's done. I think it was deliberately left open ended. They never really planned to return to the series conclusion when it was cancelled and the film takes place prior to Laura Palmer's death.

Lynch is an interesting, intriguing and unique character. I met him a couple of times through Jack Nance (who was my apartment manager--when you're working in the business sometimes you have to do other things between work particularly for an actor). I told him how much I enjoyed "The Elephant Man" and how perplexed I was by "Eraserhead" (which I saw in a midnight show a year or two after its release). His response re: "Eraserhead" was something to the effect of "well it worked". I never got an explanation as to what THAT meant and kind of left it alone at that. He was more interested in the art and putting out all of the pieces of the puzzle rather than putting it altogether.

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  19. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

Interesting story. David Lynch: The Art Life is free on Amazon Prime if you have it. Gonna check it out.

[​IMG]

20. Could have sworn I read someplace there would be another season. Oh well... the conclusion was brilliant. It was a powerful scene which, depending on interpretation, creates different narratives.

What you said about Eraserhead answers a question I've harbored about it. Perhaps, it wasnt as deliberate as its led to be. I often got the impression he liked to experiment with ideas, camera angles, colors, sound and whatever else he fancies without a specific reason just to do it.. Like in Eraserhead, Inland Empire, his short films, and parts of Season 3.

Although, I havent seen The Elephant Man since the 80s it's haunted me all these years. Truly remarkable film-making.

Thank you for commenting.

marblesmike likes this.
  21. Then again, Lynch HAS been known to change his mind. He never planned on returning then he did the movie. He never planned on returning then he did the revival. I would have liked a conclusion to that final episode. It would have been nice.

22. I think of it as the ultimate surreal TV show. Surrealism is filled with humor.

Isaac K. and Rhapsody In Red like this.
  23. Laura Palmer's scream at the end was chilling, then the black out. I think it all kind of loops back to the very first episodes and references scattered throughout the Twin Peaks lore. Something like a reoccurring dream or reincarnation, architects, lodges and demons, metaphysics and parallel universes. It really did get convoluted from the premise of Season 1.

Rupe33 and wayneklein like this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

When asked about another season, David Lynch has basically shrugged and said, "hey, it took us more than five years just to write these shows!" So my impression is that another season would be unlikely.

I have to say, there were some good episodes there, particularly the B&W episode that partly took place in the 1950s. Some beautiful, haunting images there. It wasn't all bad -- it just didn't make a helluva lotta sense.

25. Hell, I don't think they made sense to Lynch!

Rhapsody In Red and Vidiot like this.