Twin Peaks: The Return (2017)...*Contains Spoilers!!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry Horne, Oct 3, 2014.

1. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Oh, yeah, I get that. But bad!Coop (or possibly he should be called 'Bob!Coop' ?) made the original Dougie for a reason.

2. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Yes-- to avoid getting sucked back into the Lodge at 2:53 that day...

...and it worked!

- Kevin

rontoon, rburly and 93curr like this.
  3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

So many sentences that could never have been written before May 21.

4. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Just to close the loop, what I meant to say is, what I think rburly meant was, Good Coop (currently being mistaken for Dougie) and Bad Coop are the same person separated by an unleashed power.

rburly and 93curr like this.
  5. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Ah, okay. That makes more sense.

6. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Exactly. It was a busy day today.

This was an excellent episode. It had everything. And the music at the end was perfect for the feel of the episode.

bopdd likes this.
  7. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

As a big fan of the original series when it originally aired I find it amazing that I have zero expectations and preconceptions about this show. Perhaps it's because I know Lynch so well? For once I'm finding myself in the rare position of going with the flow and in doing so am enjoying the heckity out of this series. I don't care how different it is from the original show, I'm not bothered by the deliberate pacing (I'm enjoying it and the fact that it's bothering people), and I'm not looking for (or really expecting) any answers. I can't even begin to guess where anything is going and we're more than halfway through the show.

During this last episode I was both repulsed and laughed out loud several times (clapped a few times too) which I find rare in any show. I'm thrilled that Showtime left Lynch to his own devices. Twin Peaks: The Return has been a fun ride and it's different from everything else out there. Of course it is, that's what happens when you let David make an 18-hour movie! :yikes:

8. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

The cake eating scene was true gold.
    Emmy nomination just for that.

Jerry Horne, Wounded Land and rontoon like this.
  9. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I loved the sex scene (laughed out loud) but my biggest verbal response came at the end of Dr. Jacoby's rant.
    And I too appreciate this forum topic because there's no one in my physical world that I can currently discuss this with. Thanks for everybody's posts.

rburly likes this.
  10. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Kyle MacLachlan Making a Twin Peaks Bento Box on Japanese TV Is About as Bizarre as Twin Peaks

Rob Bricken
    Yesterday 6:31pm
    Filed to: Holy Crap WTF
    [​IMG]
    Uh... yeah. This does what it says on the tin—it’s an unknown video from some Japanese TV show or informercial, showing Twin Peaks star Kyle MacLachlan creating a bento box that is ostensibly Twin Peaks-themed. I have my doubts. Also, this is weird as hell.

The video, uploaded to YouTube by LostDogs10, features MacLachlan assembling the traditional and sometimes very decorative Japanese boxed lunch. Now, I don’t believe shoving a full hamburger into a bento box is at all normal, but I admittedly don’t know enough about the subject to say definitively. I do know, however, that a slice of cheese cut out to resemble a coffee cup is really stretching the term “Twin Peaks-themed.”

And this was supposedly to promote Twin Peaks in Japan? What was the plan here? “Let’s have the star make a deeply mediocre lunch to promote this show about murder, Log Ladies, creamed corn, and whatever the hell that person was who was trapped in the dresser knob.” Honestly, I’m shocked this footage has not made it into the new season of TV show.

Update: I took out the bit about being from the 1990s, because of the WOWOW The Return tag at the end. If you check out this version of it, it looks VHS-y as hell, and the segment looks like its was filmed in the ‘90s, too. I’m still suspicious—like maybe they dug up old footage to promote the new show? I welcome more answers in the comments.

Recommended Stories
    [​IMG]
    The 19 All-Time Weirdest Twin Peaks Moments (So Far)

[​IMG]
    Twin Peaks Has Evolved, But It's Still as Surreal, Ominous, and Wonderful as Ever

[​IMG]
    Twin Peaks Is the Most David Lynch Thing Ever, and We Are Damn Lucky to Have It

Rob Bricken[email protected]@robbricken
    Rob Bricken is the Editor of io9, yo.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/kyle-maclachlan-making-a-twin-peaks-bento-box-on-japane-1797035867

11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

but, all the internet stories were about her nudity.......the nudity that didn't really exist.

12. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

I totally missed that picture of Bad Coop and the monk

13. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

I found the last episode mildly amusing at times. From Lynch I expect a little bit more, unfortunately. I think I won't bother no more, now that GOT 7 has finally started.

14. PNeski@aol.com

Sorry this is much better than GOT7

Wounded Land likes this.
  15. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

No need to feel sorry. For you it is, but not for me. No problem. Different strokes... But anyway, I loved Fire walk with me a lot more than Twin Peaks. Maybe I just prefer 90 min. of concentrated Lynch instead of 10 hours of watered down Lynch.

16. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

I think watered down Lynch is a more appropriate term for the original series, not a series where he has complete creative control.

17. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

time will tell whether that is a good thing or not. personally, I'm very much enjoying the ride, but I think it's fair to say there has been quite a bit of filler and unnecessary fluff in the new run.

18. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

Yeah, but that's fully Lynch though. Watered down feels more of an appropriate term to use when someone doesn't have complete control. I mean, it's entirely possible for a creator to deliver something that's fully them and people just not like it. I don't like everything he's done, but I wouldn't say what I don't like is watered down, more like it's just a bad batch of concentrate.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  19. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Just revisited FWWM and I hated it as much as i did when it first came out.

20. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

yeah, beyond the "prologue" it's not the best film. and sheryl lee can't act.

but as a component to the overall twin peaks mythos, it's essential.

bopdd likes this.
  21. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Doesn't it just show us what we already know? I found it difficult to watch and fast forwarded through quite a bit.

22. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

I love FWWM.

23. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

I was at the world premiere of this film, with the cast and David Lynch in attendance. I somehow sat in front of Moira Kelly who asked me to scooch down in my seat so she could see the screen :)
    Lynch has said that the cut that's out there is the cut he wants, but I wish he'd put some of the edits back into the film, as I think the storytelling suffers. For instance, a viewer who hadn't seen the series has no way of knowing why and how Agent Cooper, in Philadelphia early in the film, finds himself in the red room as Laura's guardian later on. I also think the boxing bout between Chet Desmond and the Deer Meadows sheriff is needed to wrap that thread up satisfactorily.

GentleSenator and kevywevy like this.
  24. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Sure, plot-wise, but it takes Laura out of the realm of just being the dead girl that everyone talks about and actually makes her a leading character in her own life. She had no agency at all on the show - she's front and centre in the movie and allowed the chance to be an actual person.

vertigone, OldSoul and rburly like this.
  25. PNeski@aol.com

its a mess,this is much better