Twin Peaks: The Return (2017)...*Contains Spoilers!!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry Horne, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I assumed Bad Coop and Good Coop share the same memories since they are, technically, the same person.

Or maybe he was already Bad Coop in 89. "Who do you think that is there?"

Great to walk through that room from Laura's painting again. But what the hell has Jefferies become? And that earlier scenenw when the woman who got killed by Ike sent a text to South America and that machine changed into a gold orb......how does that fit in?

I watched the episode twice in a row. Poor Margaret. I how Catherine gets an Emmy nod for this brave performance. So sad.

Leviethan likes this.
  2. Daniel Plainview

So she was waiting for Wally Brando???

pablo fanques and Walt like this.
  3. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

My girlfriend hasn't been watching the show due to work, etc (I've been watching it on my Mac so as not to spoil it for her). Tonight she asked if Jefferies was "recast or come back as some coffeepot or some s--t." Heh.

OldSoul and trumpet sounds like this.
  4. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Well, we went from David Bowie to what looks like a second-hand Dalek...

"Mr. C-- resistance is futile."

- Kevin

5. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Wait... maybe you were kidding but this might be it! That would make total sense.

6. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

It's strange, I was just thinking about Charlyne Yi the other day, thinking back to that mumblecore movie she did with Michael Cera. She's hilarious.

7. Champagne Boot

Surprised at the general positivity around this episode. I found it really disjointed and obtuse, to the point of frustration. I'm beginning to come to terms with the fact that the Twin Peaks universe makes sense in David Lynch's head, but he's not willing to give his viewers enough to even remotely figure it out themselves. It's growing tiresome. This season could axe half the extraneous characters and it would still be completely incomprehensible.

Pieter Kozak, Gardo, DVEric and 2 others like this.
  8. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Quite a few loose ends tied up tonight.

9. clashcityrocker

clashcityrocker Forum Resident

Damn fine episode. Wish it wouldn't end. Ed and Norma, his eyes closed the hand on the shoulder. Finally. Top 10 Twin Peak moment. Badcoop at the "Dutchman's" like Willard meeting Kurtz...the horror...the suffocating scene of Stephen and Gersten, intense sound collage of wind and percussion...he killed Becky?she killed herself? he kills himself...I don't have subtitles so I got this:

G: Why?
    S: there is no why. I did do it.
    G: no, she did it. She did it.
    S: i can't. No. I did it.
    G: No, Steven. Steven, stop it.You didn't do anything, ok? You were f**king stoned. What the f**k did she give you? Give me the gun, okay?
    S: mm-mm. Are you gonna come up with me?
    G: No. No, and you're not going either.
    S: Look at me. I'm a high school graduate. I'm a high school graduate.
    G: oh, f**k....
    S: you see this, yeah?
    G: No. No. Stop it, don't do it.
    S: I'm gonna get this thing in.
    G: What? No - don't, no.
    S: I'm gonna put this thing here...
    G: No, no.
    S: Right through here
    G: No, Steven. No
    S: It's gonna end it.
    G: No.
    S: and when i - when i see you come up but...but... i may not even see you there, I mean...i mean...i mean gone. Where will i be? Will i be with the rhinoceros? The lightning in the bottle, hm? Please.
    G: It's okay. It's okay, okay.
    S: Or will i becompletely all like- like- turquoise? Hm? I feel something. F**k. Or. F**k. This is the end. I got a duty to do. Do whatever- whatever you want. I liked f**king you. Did i tell you? I liked it a lot. I liked to get down and fight with you and f**k. Just so you know. That i liked your c**t. Like, sometimes, it's so amazing. You're making me cry. Stop it, c**t.

Ok it doesn't help...wtf the rhinoceros??

Yes, Audrey is the mother of Richard. Dougie (with the serendipitous switch to Sunset Blvd. and a fork in a socket) is, fingers crossed, Dale Cooper and ready for the killers to arrive. Did James set up Freddy to injure his rival? And holy crap hell is going to break loose in the Twin Peak jail! I do not see a good ending for Chad.

And speaking of endings the final scene for Margaret the Log Lady. Was kind of confused by Hawk's demeanour but when they all meet in the dark room it was a dignified send-off for a main member of the Twin Peaks family. She will be missed.

Audrey so close to crossing the "threshold" it's all Charlie's fault of course. The scream at the roadhouse=the scream of Laura Palmer in the Black Lodge?

Three to go...

10. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Not really a fan of Agent Jefferries "The Teapot" but if it works for Mr. Lynch..

Otherwise I'm loving all of it and wishing for more. This week I found Audrey the entirely insufferable one of the two. Like yeah, just get in the car already! It does seem she's in a dream.

11. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

It was strange hearing the dubbed.m voice attempting to imitate Bowie's awful attempt at an American and redneck accent. I always thought he was terribly miscast in the movie - a celebrity cameo along for the ride and so awkwardly bad that it pulled you out of the Twin Peaks universe. Actually, the new series version of that, IMO, is Tim Roth. The other celeb bits have been good, though I'm praying for a return of Wally Brando:)

Pieter Kozak and kevywevy like this.
  12. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

I thought Bowie's short scene in Fire Walk With Me was truly terrifying. Something about it was like a nightmare. That whole movie was unhinged.
    Omg, Audrey's scenes with her husband are classic. Sherilyn Fenn is stealing the show at this point. I always loved her in the original.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  13. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It was nice for Ed and Norma to get their happy ending but it was rather undercut for me by the sadness that they had to wait until their 70s to get it... and that the show hadn't bothered with Ed at all until two episodes ago. It all seemed a bit perfunctory. Somehow we've had fifteen hours of this show and yet most of the old characters have had about two scenes worth of substance, if that.

Gardo likes this.
  14. Champagne Boot

Anybody else notice that the "In Memory Of" at the end of the credits was for Margaret Lanterman, and not Catherine Coulson?

15. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

I did. Catherine was already commemorated at the end of one of the earlier parts (I think maybe Part 1).

16. Champagne Boot

Right, just thought it was kinda peak Peaks.

agentalbert and Wounded Land like this.
  17. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

It was so hard watching her do her end of the phone conversations. I assumed they were all done the same day, but she seemed much sicker in last night's episode and I wasn't sure if it was the actress who was sicker, or her playing a dying woman and acting sicker, or a combination. Her doing her lines from cue cards was much more obvious last night, too.

Anyway, it was sad but I'm glad she and David got a chance to do that together. She was the set decorator back on Eraserhead, so they go back over forty years. I only wish Jack Nance, her ex husband, had lived to take part as well.

Funny, though, if I had been editing the episode, I would have left out the death pronouncement scene in the dark conference room. I liked the ending of Hawk saying goodnight to her and then goodbye once they had hung up, as he knew it was the last time they'd speak. Then him sitting silently at the desk contemplating. That was perfect, I think.

Gardo and trumpet sounds like this.
  18. Daniel Plainview

I kinda wish Hawk had offered some words of comfort to her. His silence wouldn't exactly be soothing to a dying person, would it?

Gardo, kevywevy and Purplefowler like this.
  19. Champagne Boot

I think the point is that what Log Lady and Hawk share goes beyond words--it's understood. She knew, he knew, and that's all that needed to be said.

20. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

There was a moment last night where he said "I love you" and I immediately said "Honey Bunny".

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, a thousand times yes. Thank you.

I think that would be too easy and too predictable, and if there's any two things this show isn't, it's that.

Gardo likes this.
  22. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I thought this was pretty funny although I'm sure lots won't.

DreadPikathulhu and Wounded Land like this.
  23. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

That kiss between Norma and Hank lacked any passion. Glad they're united and the Otis Redding song was well placed but that kiss was lacking. Weird placement for that ZZ Top song. Hope Becky's husband pulled the trigger on himself. Hope Mr. C skins Richard alive. 3 episodes left? Lot of ground to cover....

24. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

I'm not so much a Lynch fan that I can't laugh at myself (or at him), but I wouldn't be a Lynch fan if I didn't say that the claim that his work has no plot is risible.

Not to get on a soapbox, but I don't understand why it should be assumed that a film or TV series should completely click the first time you view it. For albums or pieces of music it's taken me many, many listens on occasion to understand what was happening in it. For whatever reason, people often don't want to extend the same courtesy to visual art.

Anyway, rant over. :)

25. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

Ed.

good god, i'm glad we don't have to deal with Hank again.