TWIN PEAKS: THE ULTIMATE GOLD EDITION

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

2. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I do that to skip those evil, evil, evil "previously on" tags which I loathe so very, very, very much. I have lists of EXACTLY where the episodes in the 'Battlestar Galactica', 'Gilmore Girls' ,Angel', etc. sets (basically any series where they don't have the courtesy to at least chapter-stop the beginning of the episode proper) start.

eg: 'Angel' - Season Five

Episode 90 'Just Rewards' - 2:13
    Episode 104 'Shells' - 0:39
    Episode 110 'Not Fade Away' - 0:46

I'll probably do this with the faulty discs on the TP set too.

3. evenreven

evenreven New Member

More simple than chapter-stopping your way through several episodes, not simple in the general understanding of the word. I was contemplating ripping the episodes and adding the previously and next on segments myself, just for kicks (I like making dvds and dvd menus, it's fun), and I think I might do that now. And with tv series dvds it's much simpler ripping and reburning since you can put fewer episodes on each dvd to avoid dvd9-to-dvd5 re-coding.

It seems the problem with these discs is that some players - new or old - can't handle some sort of weird function that's being used on these particular discs, or are easier led astray by badly designed menus. I haven't yet heard of anyone who can't play it on their computer.

4. Looks like I'll hold off a while on purchasing this until the disc problems are fixed. Where is the quality control these days? :(

5. rburly

I'm not having any problems with my discs. I'd buy it locally, then return it if it's flawed.

6. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

It's so nice to have the pilot in such good quality. :) I'm on Episode 2 now... can't wait to get into the 2nd season.

7. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I just bought Season 2 off eBay for $17 shipped. I might as well have everything for that price. :D

8. Gotta buy me a copy of this at Costco, along with a scratch-baked Cherry Pie!!!:laugh: :edthumbs:

9. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I'm not seeing that problem with my DVD player (Denon). I just tried both disc 4 and 6 (the two discs mentioned in the Amazon.com comments) and they are fine on my DVD player.

Craig(VC).

10. rburly

I guess I should have noted my Sony DVD player. No problems with those discs, though there's a small crack in the plastic of the Disc 1 holder.

11. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

At Costco? Really? Every Costco I've checked doesn't carry it. Perhaps it's specific to big stores like San Francisco.

I doubt that they will do any changes to the discs as most players appear to play them just fine. Paramount/CBS has already spent a lot of $$ on this set (and are charging $$ as well) so I think it unlikely we'll see a new improved version and if we do it won't be labeled as such.

At least the discs stay in the box. I just received Dr. Who: Season 3 and the discs keep falling out--the plastic snap holders don't snap or hold.

12. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

13. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I got my Gold Set from Amazon yesterday. Haven't opened it yet.

14. wayneklein

Thanks for the interview info. That would explain why the "Previously on Twin Peaks" leads were not part of the set (although I would think that it would all still be together since that's probably the way it was syndicated as well).

I would disagree with David Lynch about commentary tracks. For those who enjoy the process of filmmaking, it adds to the experience. While I didn't feel it absolutely necessary for him to do one, I would have loved to have the commentary tracks for the Artisan set as part of this package.

15. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I had no problems with Disc 4. I'm simply watching the discs on my computer (Windows XP using Media Player Classic).

16. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I've got to amend my previous report.

There are two different menu levels, and I had assumed everyone was talking about the first menu - the one where (on disc 4) there's a list of episodes and you choose which one you want to see.

On that menu, I could see the navigation icon just fine.

The other day, when I posted my previous report, I had only briefly put in disc 4, just to try it out after all the reports. I only checked that first menu level, saw it was okay, then ejected the disc.

Tonight, however, I actually tried to use the disc. I went back to the first menu, navigated just fine to "EPISODE 8" listed just above the other two listed episodes (9 and 10, of course)....

Then on the subsequent menu - the submenu for episode 8, asking me whether I want to watch that particular episode with the Log Lady intro or not - I realized that the navigation icons were missing. I tried simply pressing "enter," and that didn't work, so I tried the arrow keys, etc. Nothing worked. Icon is simply missing, and as far as I could tell, it was impossible to get episode 8 to start playing from that submenu.

So.... Yes, there is a problem with disc 4's submenu for episode 8, using my Denon DVD player.

Later this week, I'll see if the submenu for episode 9 and 10 has the same problem. Tonight, though, my girlfriend and I just wanted to watch episode 8, so we went back to the main menu and selected "play all."

Craig(VC).

17. rburly

I did exactly the same thing with my Disc 4 because I wanted to check the first level of the menu. Then, when the Episode menu came up, I clicked on Episode 8, the without Log Lady Intro, and Episode 8 started. I watched it for a few minutes to see if there any problems going into that Episode but couldn't find any.

It sounds like a Quality Control problem. I haven't watched the whole series yet, but I'll post any problems that I notice. Hopefully none, but even though I don't have a problem with Disc 4, I may have something else that's a problem.

18. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

I spent the weekend watching the entire box set and now I remember what it was that made the show so very special for me all those years ago.............

MADCHEN AMICK :love:

Still looks great too.

Rocker likes this.
  19. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Just finished watching the entire season, plus most of the extras. Fantastic collection! Loved every minute of it, even the Nadine arc. :rolleyes: :D

The "lost scenes" were such a tease, especially knowing that there are more in circulation that were not used on the box set.

20. evenreven

evenreven New Member

Release date in Scandinavia (and maybe also other parts of R2) is tomorrow. I can hardly wait to see the cleaned-up pilot.

21. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

22. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Thanks for the interview link, Keith!

23. No problems with the menus for me, but there was a bit of pixelation in the Ep 8 scene where Bobby visits Sally in the hospital - the kind that seems random, as it wasn't there when I rewound and it didn't show up again. Dunno if this is a coding problem or a sign that I should clean my optics...

On another front: what is the consensus on the sound, in particular the 2.0 track? At some points it seemed either tinny or muddy, moreso than one would expect from a TV show with a good budget behind it.

And finally: no postcards in my set - must have been a limited time thing - but I did get a card touting David Lynch's line of coffee...trust it's a damn fine cuppa joe.

24. I assume you were listening to the original stereo track not the remixed 5.1?

25. wayneklein

The cards were limited edition so I assume that the later ones didn't have them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.