Twink - Think Pink (New Releases: Mono, Expanded, etc.)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by funknik, Nov 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funknik

funknik He who feels it. Thread Starter

I was previously aware of this album only because it was a rare collector's item, but now I see it is available in a few different configurations: an expanded stereo CD version and a newly-discovered, never-released mono mix LP with bonus 7". I'm giving the mono mix a first ever listen right now on Apple Music and it sounds good - I have never heard this music before.

According to Discogs, the mono LP is a Canadian release - I saw it at Bull Moose yesterday and it had a "Manufactured in Czech Republic" sticker on the back, which I typically take as neither a good or bad sign, but not what I ultimately hope for. Have others heard the new mono pressing, and is it quality cutting/mastering? The digital files sound ok streaming. How does the new mono mix stack up to the stereo original?

2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I dont have mine yet, just ordered 2 however. 1 signed with pink splatter and one black with the Aquarian Age single. Ill be sure to post my opinions on Discogs when Ive heard them though.
    From other forums I have seen here they should sound damn fine though. Psychedelic hits from the late 60s/ early 70s are getting real nice reissues. Tomorrow - Tomorrow got a mono re release on Record store day 2016 as well and its pretty great. I recommend it if you are into this kind of music.

3. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Tommorow sounds like it could be great in mono. How do they manage the stifling "rechanneled" stereo of My White Bicycle and the like?

4. Leonthepro

You mean the hard panning? I dont quite remember, I suppose it was just fixed. I actually just heard it in a record store when a guy recommending it to me asked the owner for a test spin. Hes got the original and said its a good reissue and I agreed, so Ive been trying to get it ever since. I was going to but with the 2 Think Pink albums Im getting short on money. Maybe next month Ill order it ;^) But yeah listening to it streamed in stereo is terrible, mono is the way to go I think.

5. funknik

funknik He who feels it. Thread Starter

I picked up the Mono black w/7” this week and it does sound very fine. Pressed at GZ and it had a ton of scrapes and marks on it, but played totally silent. Recommended.

Leonthepro likes this.
  6. Leonthepro

I got my GZ copy of Think Pink now and Im not sure how to feel. Im thinking this might be a better fit in stereo. The vocals seem recessed but also slightly sibilant on some tracks. The pressing is altight, the usual GZ standards with some pops here and there and medium surface noise, nothing terible though.

What do you guys think? Maybe my Nagaoka MP-110 just cant track some of the inner groove songs properly. Are yours playing flawlessly and what equipment do you have?

Also worth noting, the 7" did not have recessed vocals to me, but those were even more sibilant than the album.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  7. Leonthepro

New Mono RSD release of the album, I think its another Mono mix and hoping its better. Anyone got more info on it?

8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Can anyone comment on the mono and stereo CDs from last year? I've been meaning to buy a copy of this album forever but I'm probably going to skip the vinyl on this one. Would like to know if the CDs are well-mastered and if they are proper factory pressed silver CDs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.