"Two And A Half Men" Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GKH, Mar 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GKH

GKH Senior Member Thread Starter

As TV goes, I am mostly just passive. My Wife and I both dislike 'reality tv'. She has lined up what she wants to watch. And; if I'm in the living room, I'm usually happy with her choices. Whether it be "Still Standing", "According To Jim", etc...

But; the one show I really look forward to is, "Two And A Half Men". I love this show! We both do! Charlie Sheen, John Cryer, and Angus T. Jones are perfect together. Simply excellent chemistry! Then; you throw in Conchata Ferrell (the housekeeper), and their mother (Holland Taylor)! And certainly, I cannot forget Alan's (John Cryer) ex-wife, played by Marin Hinkle! Oh! And, crazy neighbor, Rose! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

To me; This is the funniest show on TV these days. Hands down! :righton: (thumbs up! :) )

2. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

This is the best new show on TV right now, IMO. I liked it from the get go. Conchata Ferrell and Angus T. Jones have some of the best lines on the show.

They have had some pretty good quest appearances too. Martin Sheen and Cloris Leachman to name two.

3. doc brown

doc brown New Member

"As TV goes, I am mostly just passive. My Wife and I both dislike 'reality tv'. She has lined up what she wants to watch. And; if I'm in the living room, I'm usually happy with her choices."

I'm with you here. The wife chooses the shows and I'll only watch if there's something good on. Two and a Half Men is hilarious and my wife and I can always agree to watch Scrubs. If youve never watched this show, make a point on Tuesday night, i believe its at nine on ABC? Good stuff.

On the other hand, that new show with Jenna Elfman (I think thats her name, the girl from Darma and Greg) is the most awful piece of tripe on tv. It's laugh track has run amok...nothing funny at all about this show!

4. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

The series finale aired tonight....

What a freaking mess!

rburly and Scope J like this.
  5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I disagree. It was a hoot with heaps of meta jokes. I especially liked the Arnold Schwarzenegger police station historical recap scene. Sure, at times they overdid the self-knowing winks to the audience, but overall it was a lot of fun.

davmar77 likes this.
  6. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

It was ok, nice to see some old faces, Jake with long hair was the best!

7. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

8. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I fell asleep.

jsayers likes this.
  9. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Ratings must have really been in the toilet if they aired the series finale in February.

10. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

11. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

I think it's hilarious this thread has only 9 replies...ten counting this one.

I like the show... it's not rocket science, but Sheen's timing was excellent and the chemistry for the first few seasons made it watchable.

BeardedSteven, heatherly and mikeyt like this.
  12. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I fell asleep right after. To me, they threw in the towel just to get the show over with.

13. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

musicalbeds likes this.
  14. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

While there were some funny moments- that finale was a trainwreck.

Scope J likes this.
  15. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Glad I missed it.

16. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

One of the shows I've seen nearly every episode even tho I don't like it. (Marriage... ;) ) Berta always made me laugh tho. I just had to try and not actually laugh out loud so somebody didn't think I was enjoying it. :D I can't believe it stuck around so long after Sheen was gone.

17. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

That was easily the most meta I've ever seen a show get. It's almost as if they've been listening to the critics over the years.

18. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

"Scary bad" was what I kept muttering to myself over and over again ;)

I suspect they knew it, but it was still a blatant "you can't stop us" to whatever fans were.

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I've liked the show since the beginning. The only flat period for me was when Jenny was introduced to basically be a lesbian, female version of Charlie. It just didn't work for me despite the fact that I love Amber Tamblyn (ever since Joan Of Arcadia).

heatherly likes this.
  20. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

With Charlie Sheen, this was one of the funniest sitcoms of the last 10 years. I wasn't sure how it would be with Ashton Kutcher but I thought the first one or two seasons with him were great. I liked the way he was introduced in his first appearance on the show, and his life was sort of like a side-story that still managed to gel with everything else that was going on with the show and it all came together. I liked how Lorre didn't try to make a "Charlie II" out of him and his character. It worked well.

Then it started getting unfunny. Jake joined the military, a bunch of new characters were coming in that were confusing and uninteresting probably to keep squeezing life out of the show (I stopped watching for a while and then watched one new episode about a year later and the whole time I was thinking "who are all these people??") and they pushed the "Alan is a mooch" concept too far. I liked it when he was a mooch but was still humble and looked like a good guy because he really needed help. He started getting really annoying in the end.

I didn't watch the finale. I'd like to, because it was a show I had been watching for years, and I still watch the reruns. I'd like to see how it ended. Other than that, it had probably one of the sharpest declines I can think of. I do think Charlie was a better fit for the show but Kutcher wasn't the problem. It was just bad writing and predictable jokes.

heatherly and musicalbeds like this.
  21. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I watched mainly to see who would be on and how it would end. DISAPPOINTED. IMO the show jumped the shark when Sheen left and its chemistry went with it. Sorry, Kutcher is NOT funny. Cryer's character was reduced to a pathetic form of life. The first season after Sheen left was references to him and backstabbing comments. To me, some of the episodes were re-writes of ones done with Sheen. Lorre should have taken the high road and show the cast could still thrive without Charlie. It did not.
    One thing I found funny - they made a reference to Anger Management - "yeah, they tried but it didn't work. One hundred episodes and it didn't work?

heatherly likes this.
  22. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

That was the deal that FX needed to make to get Sheen. The network was hot to stop being seen as that channel that televises death cage matches, and what better way to do it than by signing an "off the hinges" star who was making daily headlines. The 100 episode commitment in no way reflected the quality of the show, which I didn't think was horrible for the first dozen or so episodes. When Selma Blair got shown the door, the "fat lady" sang.

heatherly likes this.
  23. RockWizard

True. When I saw what Sheen did, I thought....Christ, here we go again. Sheen off the rails again. At least they kept the commitment, unlike other shows that got canned.....FAST.

heatherly likes this.
  24. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Was Louis even in the finale ?

25. RockWizard

Only in a picture from Alan's cell phone shown in the police office.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.