Two audio shows in Los Angeles (actually Irvine) one week apart, what's your plan

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Warren Jarrett, Apr 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam Thread Starter

This is interesting. There are going to be two different audio shows in Irvine, near Los Angeles, only one week apart. The Home Entertainment Show (formally T.H.E. Show Newport) will be June 1-3. The LA Audio show, sponsored by LAOC Audio Society, will be June 8-10.

There will be only 2 or 3 days in-between the two shows, as far as exhibitors are concerned, including tear-down and set-up.

Who might go to both? Who will choose just one... which one? And, who will travel to LA from far away, and stay somewhere for a few days between shows?

MY IDEA, from a local exhibitor's view:
    I would like to keep the 1st show room active on Monday and Tuesday AFTER The Home Entertainment Show, just to entertain whoever has the time to come back, and THEN move everything to the LA Show. Maybe a few other exhibitors would like to do the same thing. And maybe we should suggest this option to T.H.E. organizers.

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

How about setting up in Toronto? There's nothing quite like an ice storm to make you appreciate warm tube sound.

:winkgrin:

3. Warren Jarrett

Isn't there anyone that is surprised and wondering how to deal with 2 audio shows in Los Angeles, only one week apart?

4. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

I can't imagine that two shows a week apart will actually end up happening.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    Warren Jarrett and hi_watt like this.
  5. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Well, for me, it will depend on which companies will be setting up at T.H.E. Show. I am already set on going to the L.A. show before the other one announced theirs at the start of June. If Raven Audio goes to T.H.E. Show, I will double dip. They won't be among the exhibitors at the L.A. show.

6. Warren Jarrett

I imagine that the 2nd show, the "LA Show" supported by the LA/OC Audio Society, is a sure thing. All of us in the local area are looking forward to it, and the local dealers are committed to attending. I have already arranged with Audio Note to host a listening room there.

But the 1st show, formally known as T.H.E. Show Newport" is an unknown. I am just keeping it in my mind as a possibility. Last year it was cancelled do to insufficient interest. This may happen again this year, or we may actually have two shows in a row. We'll see what happens.

dmckean and hi_watt like this.
  7. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I skipped going to any audio shows last year, so I'm tempted to attend the LAAS. I like that it is taking place at the Hilton in Irvine as that is where T.H.E. Show used to be held before it relocated a few years ago.

Also, I just received an interesting email from the president of the LA Audio Show. For those who are curious I copied and pasted it below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Industry Friends,

I am writing to you with a delicate but necessary, and more importantly, optimistic update on the LA Audio Show, taking place June 7-10, 2018. As Robert Evans stated, "There are 3 sides to every story: Your side, my side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each differently," but he also said that "any man who thinks he knows the mind of a woman is a man who knows nothing," so please allow me to share

There seems to be a great deal of confusion resulting from uninformed gossip about the players involved in the LA Audio Show and its direction. While I cannot deny or confirm what others have stated because it is their business and not mine, I can confirm that today, the LA Audio Show is mine and mine alone to steer towards collective success.

I can also confirm that The Los Angeles & Orange County Audio Society, led by President Bob Levi, has been a vital protector for the LA Audio Show and has kept its heart beating strong—this society of exemplary board members and its following of 2,400+ active members are no doubt at the helm of our Southern California community of audio enthusiasts and its supporting dealers and manufacturers; AND its continued growth and success with shows over the last 8+ years.

I think that Richard Beers's unexpected and unplanned passing in 2016 without question left us with a beautiful chaos and we all have done what we respectively believed to be best at the time. I won't deny that I made a personal decision to leave his legacy because I did not agree with the direction and lack of deliberation. I won't deny all of the challenges and confusion has been difficult for everyone but on the flip side, I think it's challenged us all to seek a collective understanding and agreement on the best direction for the future. In other words, it has been immeasurably inspiring and all that we needed at this exact moment.

I am also writing to you because if the LA Audio Show truly is what we all want, and I believe based on participation it is, we need everyone's help putting the chatter aside so we can collectively get back to what matters: moving in a productive and forward direction. At this point, the calls and emails to discuss the whys and whats of other people's actions and statements is counter-productive. I realize there have also been discussions about my 'lack of presence,' and want to assure you that today I am back in the driver seat as I was for the Society and I's most successful 2016 event. I have complete confidence in the direction we are taking today because 1) I have taken my time to seriously and carefully reflect on all the successes and lessons, 2) I've put in the work to learn how it best comes together, and not, and 3) I've done my due diligence of seeking to understand what it is the industry wishes to manifest at this turn of the century.

It is undeniable that times are changing, that we seek a refreshing outlook and a more 'attainable' approach for the hobby to draw in 'new blood'. It's further undeniable that not everyone shares the same visions. So—in order to do that successfully, I genuinely believe we must both honor the old and embrace the new, and we must do it one step at a time; and furthermore—I firmly believe that we are most successful doing it together.

Please give me a chance to outline what my understanding is, how I intend to get there, and how you can be a part of it—should you echo my sentiments.
    Every year, much like weddings (give the woman a break! romance isn't always bad), we at LAAS want to offer something old (continuity), something new(optimism for the future), something borrowed (proven happiness), and something blue (purity & love). As it currently stands, despite the circumstances leading to a more silent and distant approach, we have been working diligently towards our plans and they are as follows:

Something old— Maintain the essence of the organization that has proven successful in years past. Continue to offer a consistently practical, thoughtful, and reliable system that all can enjoy during their visit to LAAS.

For 2018, that means the return of loyal and exemplary exhibitors. The continuity of practical and efficient systems for exhibitors, attendees, and press alike; space usage that maximizes every square inch, and essentially, we keep all that was enjoyed, talked about, and praised collectively. Marketplace with vinyl sales, seminars by LAOCAS, Alfie Awards with casual Buffet Lunch, and much more.

Building on last year's incredibly popular "Entry Level Room #533," we will present THREE carefully selected and modestly priced systems in a large room on the main floor for an organized and enriching experience that allows any new-comer or old-timer alike to discover high value, low-cost gear. The 'Total System Price Ranges' that will be featured are $625, $1250, and $2500. Tidal will be available for you to stream and audition your own music. We encourage all requests as it is our sincere belief music is meant to be felt.

Something new— We rotate our anchors to bring a refreshing new focus year to year. We change up all the forms of entertainment and engagement, try something new. We learn from our experiences and improve the systems that didn't work so well in the past. We welcome new exhibitors and we listen to all feedback in order to always expand towards the collective wishes of our community.

For 2018 that means highlighting the "World of McIntosh" with an impressive scheduled demo of their XRT2.1K Reference Speakers; a famed "McMasters Class" that while originally only for dealers selling McIntosh, has been customized exclusively for LAAS Consumers including real 'Certification'; a revived "McIntosh Clinic" hosted by George Meyer AV which is a unique opportunity for consumers to have their McIntosh integrated and power amps and pre-amps performance evaluated within a Service Center environment; and the launch of a new Sonus Faber speaker that aligns with our "new" vision of attainable gear (< $7k).

Each Exhibit Room that participates in the "Consumer's Music" program will have a 'door code' so you know you may request to hear what YOU, the attendee, would like to audition. As stated by Justin St. Vincent, we understand that "music resonates within the human spirit" and for some of us (myself included), there is no better way to sample the gear than through our own emotions and auditory memory. We can't guarantee everyone's participation, but we can certainly steer you in the direction of those who agree.

The Headphone show we felt was too large last year and with CanJam not long before us, not worth it to exhibitors so we will instead promote an intimate setting with a Local Dealer that knows how to present you, the attendee, with the best and most suitable cans for your ears.

Best for last (in my humble—maybe biased—opinion) and potentially the freshest approach you'll experience is our new "Buyer Match" feature floor. Attendees will no longer have to guess where to go to find components in their price range. Through signage, the guidebook, and more, rooms will be grouped by 'Total System Price Ranges', and all the gear displayed will be advertised with their respective prices. New-comers and serious buyers will be able to connect with matching exhibitors that carry products in the budget range they seek, resulting in a more fruitful show experience for both. Systems will start as low as $500 and go all the way up to $250,000+ so no one feels excluded. And hopefully, we get to expand into more floors and move this to the "something old" next year; but only if you, the collective, decides that's what we want.

Something borrowed— Something inspired by an outside event, person, object, etc. A concept that's completely new to LAAS but not our own "innovation" like the "something new" above.

For 2018, that means a Half-Price 'Preview Day' on Thursday with exciting and varied Special Events intended mainly for our Society members AND the Youth (our future) we seek to welcome; impressive Bourbon & Scotch tastings; Food Trucks and an Exotic Car Show (nope, we did not have either last year); more and bigger better signage; Name Badges for everyone, and much more.

Something blue— Something that restores the heart of humanity, brings warmth and comfort and opens minds for those seeking a different kind of experience than felt at other audio shows. Being that we are in California with plenty of sunshine, plenty of musicians and artists, plenty of LIFE, we think this is an important and unique vibe to embrace.

For 2018, that means "How Can I Help" T-Shirts by kind-hearted LAOCAS volunteers; specialized interactive drumming on Saturday evening that enhances collaboration and physical well-being in a vibrant way; incentives and promos to draw increased attendance by females and youth; delivery of a message that speaks to the heart through the "Power of Music," and more.
    So friends—in closing, let me assure you that we are confident LAAS is on track to have a wonderfully successful show. That includes a new coordinator on-boarding today to assist in the tedious tasks that need to be expedited, pronto! Her name is Donna and you will all be pleased to meet her friendly and helpful nature come June.

See the list of participating 2018 exhibitors here 》》Or look at the brief Floor Map document which is also available at the link above

Confident in the belief that music and its reproduction are important for all people of whatever generation and budget, I remain at your service and whole-heartedly dedicated to the success of the LA Audio Show.

Press members, please help us spread the love like wildfire? If yes, thank you in advance

“Music is a communication tool that connects by creating a conversation between musical expression and music appreciation. Communication + Unity = Community” ~Justin St. Vincent

Sincerely,

Marine de Rogez-Presson
    President, LA Audio Show

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.