Two George tracks for Beatles Red Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fred68, Nov 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

"I'm Happy Just To Dance With You" would slide in nicely between "And I Love Her" and "Eight Days A Week" on Side Two.

Plenty of room for "I NEED YOU BY GEORGE HARRISON!!!!" on Side Three. With all due respect for "Don't Bother Me", it's where he came into his own as a songwriter.

Oust a Rubber Soul track on Side Four and give the "Taxman" his due.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    Fred68 likes this.
  2. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I took one per era:
    - I'm Happy Just To Dance With You
    - Taxman

mrjinks and Fred68 like this.
  3. stevenson66g

stevenson66g Hand me my Revolver

Don't Bother Me and Taxman - which rights a couple of other wrongs - With The Beatles and Revolver being woefully under-represented.

DmitriKaramazov and Fred68 like this.
  4. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I have just voted, but have not looked at any other comments (even as I am writing this), so as to give you my thought process without it being influenced by anyone else.

I have always felt that the Red Album shortchanged both A Hard Day's Night and Revolver.
    Therefore, I voted for I'm Happy Just to Dance With You and Taxman.

My favorite George vocal of the songs listed is If I Needed Someone. But I did not vote for it because that era of Beatles music is already way overrepresented (IMO) on the Red Album. (EDIT - no matter whether you look at UK or US albums)

I also did not vote for Roll Over Beethoven, in order to keep the "no covers" rule intact. That too might have gotten serious consideration.

Fred68 likes this.
  5. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I thought of that also, but even looking at it that way, Yesterday and Today already has five tracks on the Red Album. But I'll grant you, that should be the case, as Yesterday and Today was (partly) a compilation of previous Capitol singles.

6. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

So when is this "revised" Red Album going to happen? Red Album with bonus tracks. Bound to happen at some point.

7. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident

Do You Want To Know A Secret and Taxman

zen, mrjinks and Fred68 like this.
  8. I think the only requirement that Lennon had and that Klein (or Steckler) carried out was to have only Beatles originals on the album. Two George written songs would fit the bill. I like Don't Bother Me but a George started hitting his stride in 1965-66.

Never going to happen. Besides, folks can make their own either on a playlist, stick/CD.

9. Really? I always thought someone else either John (who wrote it) or Paul would have been better choices.

I would never cut Girl. Michelle I would be ok with but it was a single.

10. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...If you do wish to withdraw cover "My bsart says..."....Devil", I'll substithts....My head says " If I Needed..." - partly for liking the Cryan' Shames version:p...My heartsays..." Don't Bother..."?:eek:

11. supermd

supermd Senior Member

This is what I chose, too.

This thread has taught me that people really like "If I Needed Someone." I like it, too, but not as much as you all seem to. Interesting.

12. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Can you please expand on this?

13. I like I Want To Tell You. I would add it as a third track myself.

14. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Taxman
    Do You Want To Know a Secret

zen, mrjinks and Fred68 like this.
  15. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Where was Michelle a single?

16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

In Germany... and Norway.

17. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

Taxman and I guess Do You Want to Know a Secret, but I'd be fine with I Want to Tell You too.

I have no idea why Taxman was excluded from that collection.

18. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

what two are we taking off?

19. Rockerbox

Rockerbox Senior Member

I chose "Don't Bother Me" because the sound of the guitar and the chords on the guitar made butterflies erupt in my stomach when I was a 10 year old in 1980 hearing it for the first time. It felt very mysterious.

And I chose "If I Needed Someone" because the guitar arpeggio an its chords felt like all the contents of a snow globe floating and falling.

Fred68 likes this.
  20. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I chose Taxman and I Need You. I also want to add a Ringo track I Want To Be Your Man

vitorbastos123 and Fred68 like this.
  21. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

I vote for "If I Needed Someone" (hesitate with "I Need You") and "Taxman"...
    But hey... It's not easy!

Fred68 likes this.
  22. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

on March 28th 1973, page 357 of Lennonology by Chip Madinger and Scott Raile, John said ..."George controlled the choice of the material on those albums more than any of us" . In the previous paragraph talking about Richard Perry , he and George had just listened to the album "...George Harrison, who had taken the lead in assembling the album..."

This is such an important book. I highly recommend it.

wayneklein and supermd like this.
  23. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Now this is a great idea for a thread!

24. Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  25. Indeed. As I recall John was consulted for his input and made a list of songs (which had at least one George Harrison lead vocal --Do You Want To Know A Secret as I recall--while George didn't put any on his list)

SixOClockBoos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.