TWO record labels

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AKA, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

When looking at my Audioslave record, I noticed that the album has both an Interscope and and Epic label. How is this possible? They're two different companies. Does it have anything to do with the fact that Rage Against The Machine was on Epic and Chris Cornell was on A&M? Which company distributes the album? Is one company more their label than the other?

2. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

AKA,

Can't answer your question, but... how's the album? I haven't heard anything from it, nor seen any reviews.

thx!

HZ

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Possible because both acts are commercially vulnerable without the other; a split deal, though Sony is pressing and distributing the album. Who is signed to where has everything to do with it; turns out it did make sense for both sides. The last question: 50/50 most likely, but probably a deal going on the assumption there may not be another album. If there is, same deal: the majors are beyond getting choosy these days.

As for how good the album is, my brother likes it, brought it over, but I never bothered with it. Too much else on the plate, and Rage was never a big deal for me, anyway, though I have friends who think they're utterly brilliant.

ED:cool:

4. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

This is also true with the Rolling Stones' Forty Licks. It has three logos, actually: the Rolling Stones "tongue," Virgin and abkco.

You can tell which company distributes the CD based on its catalog number. Also, in the case of Audioslave, I have a 45 from the album, and it's on Epic, which gives you a clue.

Each of the five majors has a distinct numbering style:

Sony ... two-letter prefix ending in "K" followed by a five-digit number

Universal ... a nine-digit number usually divided into sets of three, followed by "-2" (the universal code number for CDs)

Warner Bros. ... a five-digit number with no prefix, followed by the universal CD code "2"

RCA ... a 10-digit number split into two five-digit parts, with (usually) the first five digits in microscopic type and the second five in much larger type

Capitol ... five digits, then five digits, often in bold, then the universal code "2", then one more random digit after that

How the numbers are actually assigned these days, I have no clue! RCA comes the closest to assigning them in numerical order.

5. AKA

I bought the vinyl last week and the CD this week. It's a great album, Jeff. You should check it out.

Anyway, the vinyl's catalog number is E2 86968 and it says "Epic/Interscope" on the spine. The CD is EK 86968 and also says "Epic/Interscope" on the spine. Looks like both are distributed by Sony.

And in case anyone's wondering, the vinyl sounds better to these ears.

6. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

ER and not EK? That's odd. Wonder what the "R" signifies.

As a side note, Sony SACDs have an "S." If you're at a store that mixes the SACDs in with the CDs, you can pick out the SACD pretty quickly by looking for the "CS" (for Columbia) on the top sticker instead of "CK".

Ryan

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The Jacksons first LP/singles/CD contains both the Epic AND Philadelphia International labels.

Aerosmith's "Oh Yeah!" compilation contains both the Geffen and Columbia logos.

8. AKA

But that's a compilation. Compilations with more than one record label are becoming more and more common these days. "Audioslave" is a new album with all new material.

9. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.