TY SEGALL - The Last Rock N Roll Star

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Boswell, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident Thread Starter

Don't get left behind. I bought his MANIPULATOR, one of the best "retro" Rock albums in a long time and this kid is recording and releasing music and performing and living at a rate that is stunning and inspirational.

At the first of the year he released a full, self-titled album of classic Garage Rock.
    He put out an EP in the summer and has been releasing singles and is putting out another full length album in January.

Ty is also a really cool, chill guy. Great personality, all about the music and the creativity and he's just one of the most talented souls on the planet. Great energy, great music.

He is rather retro, a lot of his recent music sounds like T. Rex . . . he may not be for you but man is he for me! The 21st century is looking good with Ty Segalls and Frank Oceans around.

Ty Segall Debuts “Fanny Dog” and Announces New Album Freedom’s Goblin on Conan

Walt, Alex Yari, Greenalishi and 13 others like this.
  2. Boswell

A few years ago he got his freak on and made a real fun album with some buds (The Emotional Muggers). Actually, the live performance at KEXP is better than the album!
    Come on, this is fun, modern, rocking music with dudes who have DEDICATED their lives to Rock N Roll!

3. Boswell

Most of his music is on Youtube.

Try this out if you haven't heard him. Yes it's very familiar and very retro but I'm telling you, this kid is not a hipster referencer, he is soul deep in this journey and he's doing it at a clip and with an intensity that is probably unmatched right now. I think he's around 30 yrs old?

4. Boswell

This is his self-titled album from the first of the year

Radardog likes this.
  5. Boswell

6. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

I'm a big Ty fan. Love basically everything he has done a lot of the bands he works in and with. I really regret not seeing him in Montreal when he was touring with the Muggers. He is inspiring a rock revival of sorts, in my opinion.

cevans121 and Boswell like this.
  7. He's quite prolific, and well worth the look

Fuzz - Fuzz [Full Album] (Ty Segall, Charles Mootheart)

8. Boswell

Ty's kind of old news to a lot of people, but there is a significant portion of the world (and this board) that probably don't even know who this kid is and how good he is. And his music would be up a lot of people's alleys if they gave him a shot.

No Bull, Vinyl_Blues and mattright like this.
  9. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Manipulator is my favorite Ty album. It checks a lot of boxes for me: power pop, classic cop, Radiohead-esque post rock, psychedelic, and just straight up rock. I'm surprised he doesn't get more discussion here. He's quite prolific and usually puts out an album a year, each one different than the last.

10. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

I like what I've heard from Ty Segall , but don't really know where to start or jump in, because there's always a new release or a re-release, or colored vinyl edition...being prolific is great, but when a guy who owns a record store can't keep up...

*(same also applies to Thee Oh Sees)

No Bull, JoeRockhead and Boswell like this.
  11. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

He's pretty good. Loved the Manipulator band's live show; didn't like the Muggers show as much. Why the "last" rock and roll star? Last one till the next one?

mark winstanley and JoeRockhead like this.
  12. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...good call! Been a fan since day one. I discovered Ty about the same time I got into Thee Oh Sees (John Dwyer). Ty’s buddy Mikal Cronin puts out some quality tunes as well, but more of a “Garage Pop” feel.

13. Boswell

The Thread Title is just hype to get folks to listen to this talented musician :cool:

Mr Sam and NaturalD like this.
  14. Boswell

Check out his music at Youtube and pick your battles, I'd say.
    I'm going to plunk down some money on a few releases this month all because of sampling him at youtube

15. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

....of course he is. He’s from Cali.! :D:thumbsup:

Boswell likes this.
  16. Boswell

Last name pronounced Seagull, like the bird

notesofachord likes this.
  17. Boswell

Live earlier this year, yessir!!

18. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I have not really wrapped head around his discography yet so I don't know if the following is accurate.
    It looks like he put out 4 tunes (that are on youtube) recently that I don't think were on the recent album. One with his (wife?) singing. They would make a good EP.

Boswell likes this.
  19. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

love manipulator. the other stuff is just okay. some is not for me at all.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  20. Boswell

If you Love MANIPULATOR why don't you like the self-titled from the first of the year (also above here in the thread)? It's like MANIPULATOR Part II and is very strong imho

The new singles are going to be on the new one in January i think

21. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Could pass for vintage Standells:

polchik likes this.
  22. Boswell

Great article on the dynamo that is Ty Segall (from yrs back)

I love the description of his music as "irony-free" ha ha, that's it.
    This is not a hipster referencing old music from a distance and with a remove, this is an in the moment artist full of joy and music and he and his friends are spreading the message

Ty Segall: A Portrait of the Artist as F***in’ Psyched!

Chris M likes this.
  23. Boswell

His bandcamp where you can pre-order the new record

Ty Segall

24. Scott McBride

Scott McBride Forum Resident

I love Ty, but I don't like the reference the thread title makes. :winkgrin: There is no 'last' anything. I also don't find him to be 'retro'. The connotation of the words don't sit well with me as a fan. Oh well. I guess the point was to draw attention to his great and prolific output.

JoeRockhead and Boswell like this.
  25. Boswell

You'll notice that I dispelled that negative connotation of "retro" in how I describe his music as alive and in the moment and unironic. In my passion to talk about Ty forgive me for a few clumsy words or phrases. the way he plays older-sounding music in a very new and very real way is kinda complicated to describe, ha ha

Chris M likes this.