TY SEGALL - The Last Rock N Roll Star

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Boswell, Dec 12, 2017.

1. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Been a fan for a while. In some ways, he's like a West-Coast Jack White.

"Manipulator" is definitely a good jumping in point for people unfamiliar with his work.
    Right behind that would be "Emotional Mugger" and his recent self-titled album.
    After digesting those, if you need more, then you can dig deeper into his earlier more esoteric stuff.

cevans121 and Boswell like this.
  2. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

I saw him last year in a small place that was packed. It was a blast. He’s exhibit A for when friends my age (50+) say “rock is dead”. My only concern for him (and this is my weird “safety first” problem) is that he may someday poke an eye out with the extra guitar string he leaves at the top of the neck. He is very much aware of it though as he tends to lean away from it. :laugh:

Highly recommended to see him in person. It's a cheap fun outing. As always bring earplugs just in case (yeah, call me Mr. Safety).

Boswell likes this.
  3. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

i haven't listened to that one yet. will do.

i was put off by the muggers stuff, and not a fan of fuzz.

i like melted and mr face, but not nearly as much as manipulator.

Boswell likes this.
  4. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

5. cevans121

cevans121 Forum Resident

This is a great thread and Ty deserves a ton of looks for what he's done over the years. I've been lucky enough to see him live a couple times over the years on the Ty Segall Band & Manipulator tour, along with Fuzz & Emotional Muggers show. The energy at these shows have always been great. Even got the opportunity to chat with him a little on the first Fuzz tour...awesome guy

Manipulator, Emotional Muggers, Twins, Ty Segall Band, Hair (with White Fence) and the Fuzz records are all worth a spin.

Boswell likes this.
  6. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident Thread Starter

The dude is next level, folks gotta get on board this kind of talent

7. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

We haven't ruled out Boswell = Ty yet.

8. Scott McBride

Scott McBride Forum Resident

Definitely. I know your point was to attract newcomers to this great artist. Retro = bad, for me.

Boswell likes this.
  9. Hgavinyl

Hgavinyl Forum Resident

You should check out White Fence, Ty did the mixing of this album if I remember correctly.

10. Boswell

Ha! I don't think Ty would start threads about Motley Crue, though :winkgrin:

Yeah, retro is a derogatory term, sorry!

11. shakti

shakti Senior Member

A friend of mine introduced me to his music some 4-5 years ago, but now I can't remember which record he gave me. I did like it very much, but I never went any further. I think the vastness of the discography put me off a little. Also the fact that it seemed a bit "limited" in scope judging from that one album (very garage/psych), but I may have got that wrong. Is Manipulator a good "sampler" record?

12. Boswell

13. Monroro

Monroro Forum Resident

Another shout-out for Ty. I don't listen to his albums all that much, but love his live show. Go see it. And stand in the back away from the stage divers.

cevans121 likes this.
  14. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

I'm always surprised when older classic rock guys looking for new music glom on to Jack White. That dude's an aging marketing wiz blessed with entrepreneurial chutzpah, Ty is the real deal in his prime.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  15. Boswell

Well said and so true. I admire Jack but that is one self-consciously cool dude. Ty is totally unaffected and natural and truly Rocks.
    I guess if we were being honest . . . Ty is a bit too cool and real for folks who grew up on Classic Rock radio, which is a lie of culture

16. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

Boswell likes this.
  17. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Segall's a formidable talent, one of the best of the past decade with a varied body of work. I particularly dig Manipulator and both of his self titled albums. His 2017 release is one of his best. I also like that album he did with White Fence.

Boswell likes this.
  18. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

Chiltonesque:

Boswell likes this.
  19. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

Prolific artists are hard to get a handle on. Plus you get the feeling (even if it is unwarranted) that the work is watered down.

johnnypaddock, GodShifter and Boswell like this.
  20. jacethecrowl

jacethecrowl Forum Resident

I burned out and fell off the Ty train after Manipulator. I'm sure the recent work is still solid, but Twins is my enduring fave.

cevans121, dlemaudit and Boswell like this.
  21. shakti

shakti Senior Member

Twins was the one I got many years ago. Gave it a new spin today, I can see why I liked it in the first place! Will check out Manipulator.

Boswell likes this.
  22. Scott McBride

Scott McBride Forum Resident

You've got it right. Manipulator is noted for being something of a catch-all for Ty's many styles within the garage/psych sound. It covers a fair amount of ground within this genre and I think is as good a starting point as there is within his large discog.

23. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...his 2010 album Melted is the one that I first heard and remains a favorite. This track in particular-
    “Imaginary Person”.

Boswell and polchik like this.
  24. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

same for me , great records up until Manipulator for sure , not so keen on the heavy Black Sabbath stuff . the guy is a real genius songwriter and his songs are very subtle so was kinda disapointed when i saw him live with that Motorhead sound and approach to the songs .
    i am big fan of the early garage period , The Goner records singles collection is amazing

25. adad

adad Forum Resident

I have seen him live at Burgerama and I saw Fuzz too. Not to be missed. I would say Manipulator is my favorite and a good place to start. I am a big fan of 60's Garage and love this Amoeba show from 2009.

.......I saw this band at a Moon Block Party show. They stood out to me.
    Cosmonauts-If You Wanna Die Then I Wanna Die(full album)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017