TY SEGALL - The Last Rock N Roll Star

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Boswell, Dec 12, 2017.

1. TakiJones

TakiJones Senior Member

If all new music had the sound quality that Manipulator has on vinyl, the world would be a much much better place.

It sounds great.

polchik and footlooseman like this.
  2. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Yeah, and the new album's vinyl sounds fantastic as well.

What I first thought was surface noise at one point, was actually amp-buzz!

Lightworker likes this.
  3. cacaaaaaaw

cacaaaaaaw Forum Resident

Thanks for the insight everyone. Went to Amazon to purchase Manipulator and they jacked the price up to $38! Think they are trying to steer people into buying Freedom's Goblin or hoping they dupe new people into it. It's almost double what it's previous listing price.

4. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

Deaf_in_ LA_1974 Forum Resident

its not a conspiracy, his other stuff is just sold out because people buy the last few with the new one, give em a day or two (to get some more from china)and they'll be back down to 14 or so

5. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

You can get it from Drag City (which is part of his label) for $24!

Ty Segall - Manipulator | Drag City

6. cacaaaaaaw

cacaaaaaaw Forum Resident

Normally, I would be going straight to the label but I recently received an amazon gift card I’m trying to burn....

7. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

John Golden does a great job squeezing the best out of Ty’s sound. Really enjoyed the sound on the recent Sentimental Goblin EP too. I wonder if he recut some of the older classics like Melted of the sound would be improved. Not that there’s much to improve but I always thought that record could use a little more of a ballsy cut.

8. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

The only thing I don't dig on the new album is most of the horn noises.

9. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

After listening to the new album a lot more, I can say that I do like it - I like it more than his self-titled album, but not as much as Manipulator or Emotional Mugger.
    The only things I don't care much for on Freedom's Goblin are most of the horn sounds. They're just annoying to me - wish he would've replaced them with guitars or something.

footlooseman likes this.
  10. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

I’m new to Ty Segall, picking the album up after 6music playing the last single a bit, and I am blown away. You know an album is good when you listen to a double and it feels like you only put on side 1 five minutes a go but you’ve got neck ache from nodding too vigorously! I loved every minute of it and nearly put it straight back on for a back to back listen. It’s like a history of everything I love in music but at the same time it sounds fresh too. Really exciting artist. I’ve just ordered manipulator from discogs to go with it so cheers to everybody who commented on that one too

11. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

i found the video !! lol

here's the 2nd time i saw him ….. less than a year after that basement club show …… for CMV (canadian music week - where groups from all over come up to showcase)

this one sounds MUCH better! enjoy !

TY SEGALL @ WRONGBAR - "IMAGINARY PERSON"

oh yeah …. as soon as the show was over he RAN to service the merch table.

cevans121 and Beatnik_Daddyo'73 like this.
  12. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

A quick late heads up for his fans here .
    Ty is on Jimmy Kimmel's show tonight .

notesofachord and footlooseman like this.
  13. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Hot Chocolate!

14. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

How about that last track on the new album?

Without trying to give away spoilers - it's like seeing an old friend in new clothes - something you'd never expect them to wear, but it looks surprisingly good. ;)

Nice Neil Young/Crazy Horse vibe on that final epic track too.

Boswell, Graham and DME1061 like this.
  15. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

I think the horns & soul-influenced tracks are the most interesting stuff on the album

Although the album is diverse like Manipulator, there's a fair bit of Ty dabbling in soul, or James Chance-style New Wave-Mutant Disco/Soul - which begs the question, is he dipping his toes in that pond before he tries a whole album of that stuff?

He's no stranger to making 'genre albums', so it wouldn't surprise me if he "goes soul" for a whole disc.

Freedom's Goblin and last year's self-titled album are good albums, but the ones before them have been stellar. I think he's got a really good soul album in him, and now is a great time to do it - throw the fans a curveball, and recharge his creative batteries by challenging himself in a new field of music.

Boswell, dlemaudit and DME1061 like this.
  16. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

This guy is insane. Just insane. Every album he releases is a must hear, be it solo, Fuzz, Ty Segall Band, GOGGS, whatever. The new one is no exception and I'm only four tracks in! The drumming on "Every 1' a Winner" and the funk fuzz faux-disco of "Despoiler of Cadaver" both kill me. And I'm four tracks in! Holy.

Boswell, zombiemodernist and DME1061 like this.
  17. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Just wait......there are better songs that come after the 1st 4!

18. GuidedByJonO)))

Oh I've no doubt! And I'm hearing them now. I was just so excited that I couldn't wait to post something! :laugh:

DME1061 likes this.
  19. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

Each side I’d end up thinking “wow, that was the best yet” and then I’d put on the next side and think it all over again! I think 3 and 4 are my favourites but 1 and 2 are too!

Boswell and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  20. GuidedByJonO)))

Finished the whole thing and, yep. It's all great. Early to tell for a guy with such a great catalog already, but this is easily a Top 5 album.

21. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

Every 1's a Winner, indeed?

Purplefowler and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  22. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Love the horns. Anyone who can riff on James Chance and the Contortions and get it right is stellar in my book.

23. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Sidebar question: Anyone know if the Pride Flag motif used on the Freedom's Goblin poster is intentional? Or are those colors used for something else I'm not aware of?

24. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...any mention of players in the credits? Curious if Mikal Cronin plays sax.

25. GuidedByJonO)))

Yeah, it's all in there, but sadly I don't have my copy to hand right now. Tons of people were involved. I know Cronin played on it, but can't remember if he played sax.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.