Tygers Of Pan Tang - any love?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by evillouie, Aug 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey all,

Any love out there for the NWOBHM band Tygers of Pan Tang? I got into them starting with their second album "Spellbound" with singer John Deverill and guitarist John Sykes. I can't say I ever listen to their first album "Wildcat", as the singer on that one has about a 2-note range that gets old really fast. I think the last CD of theirs that I really liked was "Noises From The Cathouse" from around 2004. Everything since then has its moments, but overall I haven't found much of their recent CD's to be that memorable.

Any other fans out there?

Anthrax likes this.
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Oh yeah! I love Spellbound. Crazy Nights is a step down, but it has some good stuff on it. Love Don't Stay is a great one.

3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Me. I have the first four albums. I quit after The Cage. I love "Gangland" from Spellbound. Great album.

Jvalvano likes this.
  4. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

Pretty much same for. Have them on vinyl from when they came out.

GodShifter likes this.
  5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Same here.

6. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

I remember seeing the name on lists and wondering at the "Pan Tang" derivation. (Michael Moorcock?) Listening to the clip on this thread makes me believe they could have hung Boston out to dry.

7. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I thought Paris By Air should have be a huge hit. Massive crossover potential. I still treasure my picture disc 45.

I've only heard Spellbound & The Cage album-wise & I like them both well enough without needing to re-visit them very often.

They're still touring - I'm planning on catching them in South Wales later in the year - although I think that only Rob Weir survives from the classic line-up.

GodShifter likes this.
  8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Review of new boxset - The MCA Years

TYGERS OF PAN TANG - The MCA Years

Damn fine to see MCA stepping up with a well-deserved box set for one of the most important bands of the NWOBHM movement from the early eighties. The package includes the first four albums in full, along with assorted extra tracks/singles appended to each, along with a fifth disc including no less than 19 live tracks stemming from three separate BBC appearances during this period. All discs come in single sleeves with original artwork, pulled together in a mini-box, with a lengthy essay from none other than Malcolm Dome.

9. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

How is the mastering?

10. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

TOPT are a great band and have a lot of fine material above and beyond the couple of albums they are known for in the 80's. I highly suggest people check out their Ambush cd from a few years ago.

Probably the only cds I found a bit iffy were Noises From The Cathouse and Mystical, other than those it's all good.

11. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

I had a red vinyl single called Rendezvous that I really loved. Very commercial sound to it, but never went deeper into the catalogue.

12. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

I mostly know Tygers through the Thin Lizzy connection - I picked up Spellbound through to The Cage a couple of years back because of John Sykes' involvement. Can't say I'm a massive fan - their earlier stuff has too much of a punk sound for my liking and The Cage is littered with generic, weak 80s fluff - but across the three discs there are a few songs I really like.

What's the new box set like? The CDs I have are the '97 remasters, so I already have those bonus tracks and more, but I'm vaguely tempted if only for the live disc (and I guess Wild Cat, which I don't own).

13. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

Comes from Moorcock's Elric of Melniboné stories.

Why, yes, I was a teenage sf'n'fantasy fan...

14. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

I am thinking of getting the MCA years but does anyone know is it is brickwalled etc ??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.