U.K. comedian/TV presenter Bob Monkhouse R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris R, Dec 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

From BBC News.

Comedian Bob Monkhouse dies

Veteran British comedian and television host Bob Monkhouse has died at his Bedfordshire home at the age of 75.

The star, one of Britain's best known entertainers, battled prostate and bone cancer for more than two years.

He died peacefully in his sleep with his wife Jackie at his side, said his manager of 38 years, Peter Prichard.

"He was respected by all the other comedians because he was dedicated to his craft - he never stopped making people laugh," Mr Prichard said.

Mr Prichard said the star was still working six weeks before his death, despite being in a great deal of pain.

"He's one of the bravest men I've met. He suffered very badly at times with it but he carried on.

"He was a total professional and one of the funniest men in the world," he said.

Speaking of his own sense of loss, Mr Prichard said: "I knew it was coming, but when you get the news you realise we have lost one of the greatest comics that England has ever produced."

In 1993, Monkhouse was awarded the OBE.

"Bob was one of the few men that could make me cringe, get me mad, cry (with laughter) and have me laughing until it hurts." Dominic, UK.

In March this year, when accepting a lifetime achievement award from the Television and Radio Industries Club, Monkhouse said he had been "very lucky" with his treatment.

It involved an implant in his stomach and a daily pill which allowed him to keep on working.

Monkhouse once said: "I'll never stop working. I want to die in the saddle. A day is wasted for me if I haven't done something even mildly creative."

Fellow comedian Barry Cryer, who had known Monkhouse since the 1960s, paid tribute to his "amazing character".

"He was a man for all seasons. He could do anything. We used to say he had a computer in his head. His memory was astonishing," he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

BBC director general Greg Dyke said Monkhouse understood TV entertainment better than anyone else in the last four decades.

"Bob was a major entertainment figure for nearly half a century with both the BBC and ITV," he said.

Born in Beckenham, south London, in June 1928, Monkhouse developed his talent for comedy while a pupil at nearby Dulwich College.

He went on to enjoy a long career as a comedian and occasional straight actor.

But Monkhouse was probably best known as a host of popular TV game shows including Celebrity Squares and Family Fortunes.

Monkhouse leaves a daughter, Abigail.

His two sons both died in tragic circumstances, Gary from cerebral palsy (in 1992 at the age of 40) and Simon from a heroin overdose (in 2001, at a Thai guest house at the age of 46).

Here's a link to another BBC story. Bob Monkhouse Obituary

Bob Monkhouse hosted the U.K. version of Candid Camera.

He will be missed. Very sad. :(

Attached Files:

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Poignant obituary thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.