U.K. on SHM SACD!! I hope it will not be Jobson 're-master'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tomek, Jul 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thuleatan

thuleatan Forum Resident

You're welcome, toilet_doctor! To be honest I've always found the bass on this album satisfactory on CD - it's ideal for letting Wetton's instrument's warmth and fuzz cut through. In contrast, the bass is rounder and quite deep on the vinyl I have (original US Polydor). A nice change sometimes, but I usually reach for the CD (and probably the SHM-SACD from now on!) and run it happily without equalisation.

Wow, interesting - I'd like to check that out. If it's better than the SHM-SACD it must be something else. Looking at the sleeve now, the SACD claims to be a transfer of the original UK master tape too... has this been somehow confirmed false?

2. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

I have the Snow Goose SHM-SACD. Where at the sleeve does it say that it is sourced from the UK mastertape?

3. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It only mentions "DSD transferred [sic] from analogue master tapes by Manabu Matsumura (Universal Mastering Studios)."
    Likely a Japanese (flat?) copy tape.

4. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

One more touching review from Japan (rough translation):

Danger Money SHM-CD
    5* Masterpiece of progressive rock world.
    By tea brother on October 7, 2014

I didn't bought analog record of the past. So, this time I booked buy SHM-CD, thinking it's a good opportunity. Paper sleeve and inner bag presents the atmosphere of the analog board. It is a perfect score nostalgia for humans, who knew band at that time.

Unlike analog board, sound is becoming something very tight rapid rise. I cannot compare it directly with the normal conventional CD because it is not on hands, but it feels like there is a plenty of the benefits of SHM-CD. There is a gloss of Eddie Jobson violin and piano, the force of John Wetton base, and Terry Bosio above all is looming in the eardrum very vividly.

Liner notes are also written down a new. It is a pleasure for new listeners to have well documented history of sparkling short and thick the band called the "U.K.", and I'm glad to be recently introduced to the movement of U.K. members even to me, the old man.

5. toilet_doctor

"I have listened once to the new SHM-CD [The Green Album] and briefly compared it to the original CD. The two are very close but I have to say on first listen I slightly preferred the original CD. It has a little bit more treble which benefits the sound." -- Endymion

I used to have Original U.K. Danger Money album. Then I bought first press Jpn paper sleeve two studio albums (2006), which I replaced with good sounding 2009 Eddie's Remaster. The last one I sold in a wake of new 2014 release. That what I do since 1999, when 24-bit mastering tech. took over: constantly upgrading my CD collection, including old DCC and MoFi titles.

Such a wild thought that original CD can sound better then latter 24-bit mastering CDs, has never entered my mind. I wouldn't give my old CD away to retail store for a couple bucks.
    Even old man from Japan did feel "a plenty of the benefits of SHM-CD", not to mention what another man said: "I have only owned the One Way CD release [of 'The Green Album'] plus the original vinyl and compared to One Way CD, this new version sounds much better. Fuller, rounder sound on the new CD. It is more 3 dimensional compared to the One Way CD."
    Both CD can be compared only tonally - they are from the different leagues.

If in the audio system 21 years old CD, mastered using outdated 16-bit technology, sounds better than latest DSD transfer from UK Original Master Tape with highest upsampling rate and the newest JVC High Resolution Cutting Tech, printed on SHM in very limited quantity, it means that there is some problem with the system itself. However, you are not alone: in my car some CDs also sound not so good, including Edie Jobson 2009 Remaster, you are so obsessed with:

"Both CDs [The Green Album] sound good but not great IMO. Of course they are both MUCH better than the dreaded Jobson remaster." -- Endymion

Eddy Jobson didn't do remaster of his 'The Green Album', nether "dreaded", nor otherwise, as only 3 UK albums were scheduled for release in 2009.
    Eddie did nothing wrong, including 2009 U.K. Remaster. Listen what our member said: "I have first generation vinyl of all the U.K. catalogue, and the remasters overseen by E.J. are just fine". -- Dingo July 26, 2014.

Endy, please stop bashing worldwide respectful artist, who just awarded us with excellent release. We asked him to do Flat Transfer and he push Uni to do it, providing them with Master Tape.
    I want to believe, he push them so far that they will do new Genesis release in the same way, as well.
    (see posts #58 and #61)
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/genesis-gabriel-era-shm-and-platinum-shm-coming.381244/page-3

toilet_doctor

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  6. toilet_doctor

"These albums – including Green – are very important in this house...
    Appreciate any and all feedback!
    If it turns out I gotta get 'em, well then I gotta gotta get 'em."
    -- gd0

There is no any doubt in my mind: You "gotta get 'em". The sooner, the better.
    If you don't want to pay twice for them after OOP (Out-of-Print).

toilet_doctor

7. Capt Fongsby

Capt Fongsby Music is the best. ... And cats.

:confused: This thread is confusing, so here's four quick questions:
    1. Is the SACD of U.K. - S/T a flat transfer?
    2. Is the catalog number of this SACD UIGY-9570?
    3. It's SACD only, not hybrid, right?
    4. How is the "Eq" compared to the original EG cd?
    Four short answers would be most welcome. :tiphat:

8. dachada

dachada Senior Member

1- DSD Flat Transfer from Original UK Master tapes but not credits (where or who)
    2-Yes
    3-SACD Only
    4- Similar to original my 1988 Japan CD

9. dachada

dachada Senior Member

Bellow is a detailed analysis taken from the track 1, 1988 Japan EG CD. On the Normalized Average spectrum graphic we can see the eq desviation from the Orange line. Waveform is normalized to .2db. Crest factor shows a good Dynamic range over 15

[​IMG]

10. dachada

dachada Senior Member

Same detailed analysis from the track 1, 1988 Danger Money Japan CD. This track even more treble. look the dasviation from the orange line[​IMG]

11. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Just got these 3 albums today on SHM-CD from CD Japan. Volume is relatively low and the sound isn't smiley faced. I'm pretty happy so far - not even half way through the first s/t album

12. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

That's unusual, somewhere in the sleevenotes it should have a rundown of credits, like The Police, Supertramp etc...

13. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

No details on the new Steely Dan SHM-SACDs either.

14. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

These are the the details from "Danger Money" relative to the Platinum SHM/SHM cd releases, SACD should have something similar surely?
    [​IMG]

15. dachada

dachada Senior Member

So
    Sorry the credits for the SACD 1st album is exactly the same

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  16. barrie60

barrie60 Forum Resident

Previous SACD discs have stated who did the transfers, the ones I have it has been the FX copyroom who have also been involved in transferring the King Crimson catalogue, so unusual for that info not to be stated on the UK discs. By the way why tape research at Abbey Road studios? Is that where the original tapes are stored?

17. thuleatan

thuleatan Forum Resident

My guess is that Manabu Matsumara did the transfer at Universal as well as the 'editing', and it was a booklet layout decision not to credit the same person on two lines... but who knows?

18. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

My bet is that the transfer was made on site at Abbey Road where the tapes are stored; that way only the digital files are sent to Japan where they are "edited" (putting track starts an ends and fixing fades for example). But, as you said, who knows? :)

19. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

I'm really torn between ordering the three UK SACDs or not to do it....
    Is the difference I will hear really worth spending nearly 130 $.....I really don't know....

20. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Just order two like I did, and you'll feel better:)

21. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

I wouldn't necessarily need Danger Money but I need the alternate version of Rendezvous 6:02 as this is one of my favourite songs ever.

22. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

The more I read, the less I know.

Am I even close to understanding here...

- The SACD is single-layer DSD only?
    - But there is an SHM redbook version? (must rip!)
    - First impressions lean toward "good sound"?
    - And there is a separate 2015 reissue announced?

I've read the comparisons to a prior Japanese release. Anyone able to compare these to the original first-issue US-made EG CDs?

23. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

The answers to your questions are

-yes
    -yes
    -yes
    -not officially announced but apparently Eddi Jobson talked about it in his "members only" forum. However these would be remastered by Jobson himself which is not very promising judging by the sound quality of the last CDs and DVDs he was involved with.

gd0 likes this.
  24. Capt Fongsby

Capt Fongsby Music is the best. ... And cats.

Thanks! :cool:

25. dachada

dachada Senior Member

The Danger Money LP was mastered in NY and original UK and US LP use Sterling stamper. I believe at some point Virgin records got all the EG masters tapes and later EMI got all the VIRGIN and EG Master tapes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.