U.K. on SHM SACD!! I hope it will not be Jobson 're-master'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tomek, Jul 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Now I've listened to them all, these 3 CDs are rather nicely done. I can imagine what some mastering engineers would have done to these - boom and tizzzz - but these sound rather nice.

2. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

I have the original CD (not SHM CD) issues of the three UK albums. They are very nice. I have the SHM-SACDs of the three UK albums. They are very nicer. I have the SHM-SACD of "Green". It's a little thin sounding. I don't have the original CD issue of this one.

If you are a UK fan and like SACD, go get these. I'm on the fence about recommending Green unless you need it all.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  3. konoyaro

konoyaro Forum Resident

My fear is that once I order these, there will be an announcement that deluxe versions are coming out with a 5.1 mix by Steven Wilson ;)

Orthonormal, garysb and gd0 like this.
  4. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

There is no chance that Tape could be transported to Jpn. No-no-no... Universal did everything at the original storage place in UK and US with their own tapes. EMI/Eddie wouldn't let them...

Sorry Eddie, I have to tell them (they will keep the secret):

Eddie Jobson did Flat Transfer himself, as he doesn't trust anyone to touch his precious Tapes.
    However he didn't want his name in the credit notes this time that bunch of Endymions couldn't put him in the dirt with no reason again.

P.S. Regardless that he did good job again, it's not so good news... because who will do flat transfer for Genesis titles?

toilet_doctor

5. toilet_doctor

You don't have to worry about that at all...

Sorry Eddie, I have to tell him:

(It's between you and me...) Eddie will do it in 5.1 himself after EU release (easy as to pee on two fingers), but only under one condition: Endymion has to shut his mouth. No Steve Wilson/Alan Parson is necessary.
    Is not it looks promising?

toilet_doctor

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  6. toilet_doctor

Once again:

" I have only owned the One Way CD release plus the original vinyl and compared to One Way CD this new version sounds much better (to my ears). Fuller, rounder sound on the new CD. It is more 3 dimensional compared to the One Way CD. It's like staring into a 3D cube (Japanese platinum-shm) versus looking at a flat piece of tile (one way). I would assume the higher sampling rate that captured the audio from the masters comes into play here." -- from progressive ears forum

7. Frippwire

Frippwire Well-Known Member

If I can ask a Jobson-related question, does anyone here know when those ridiculously expensive Jobson/UK Japanese box sets begin shipping? All it says on the English language page they set up is "Fall 2014".

8. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

Thanks a lot !
    I wonder if the platinum-shm will do instead of the sacd...

9. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

I don't even go that far! The SHM CDs do for me, they are so good and a reasonable price.

(Sorry if this is an SACD thread crap!)

10. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yep, no difference in mastering between the Platinum and standard SHM-CDs for these titles.

11. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

A short interruption, because of the fact I only own SHM-SACDs: how is the regular SHM-cd in this serie of Universal Japan looking like? Just a Japanese mini-LP or a cd in a jewel case?

12. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Mini lp.

Echo likes this.
  13. Tesbert

Tesbert Forum Resident

You didn't buy that "Hot Stamper" from Tom Port. Right? I too have wonderful vinyl pressing of S/T and DM. For S/T a US Masterdisk and for DM a UK Sterling. Would you advice me to purchase the SACDs?

14. toilet_doctor

Here is how Universal rates them (all are Mini LP):

SHM-SACD(in box) : Pt SHM (in box) : SHM-CD (no box)
    43 : 36 : 27

In Hi-End system SACD and Pt are pretty close. (I even decided to order Snow Goose and Grey & Pink Pt SHM with 2014 Flat Transfer from UK original master tape, despite that I have SHM-SACDs with flat transfer from Japan dub tape).

If you have SACD playback or have plans to get one, I would stick to SACD.
    If you don't have SACD capabilities, everything depends on gear:

There is no difference in sound between Pt and non-Pt in the regular system, while is big difference in Hi-End one.
    In the mid-grade system... you have to compare both discs to find out himself.

Please note that Pt is very sensitive, it can sound harsh and edgy, if the amp has not enough power toward to your speakers, while non-Pt and SACD will sound good regardless of that.

Please, read some comparison tests Pt vs. non-Pt at the forum Platinum SHM-CD launched! Disc 3. (page 11, post #256):
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/platinum-shm-cds-launched-disc-3.342656/page-11

The same with Gold CD vs. non-Gold (page 17, post # 410)
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/platinum-shm-cds-launched-disc-3.342656/page-17

Also check out some recommendation at Genesis thread (post #61) that makes sense for the U.K. titles too:
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/genesis-gabriel-era-shm-and-platinum-shm-coming.381244/page-3

Regardless what version you'd buy, you will be extremely satisfied:
    It is great sounding, beautifully crafted and highly collectable piece of art against old outdated CD in plastic.

toilet_doctor

zappaien likes this.
  15. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I'll confirm this yet again and they sound great with the volume up.

toilet_doctor and Tullman like this.
  16. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

Probably been asked before but have you compared them to the original EG cd's and do you consider the new ones a serious upgrade?

17. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

Regardless what version you'd buy, you will be extremely satisfied:
    It is great sounding, beautifully crafted and highly collectable piece of art against old outdated CD in plastic.

Thanks a lot !
    Since I consider my system to be high end I think I'll try the Platinum SHM-CD of "Danger money" and see how it works....

18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

No, I bought a few used records and I lucked into what I consider a "Hot Stamper". If you collect SACDs or you want a nice SACD of this title then I would recommend getting the SACD.

19. dachada

dachada Senior Member

Detailed analysis from track 1, Danger Money Japan SA-CD ripped into wav 16bit. The normalized average spectrum shows a more natural eq than the 1988 cd and higher level at the low end frecuencies

[​IMG]

20. toilet_doctor

"Here is how Universal rates them (all are Mini LP):

SHM-SACD(in box) : Pt SHM (in box) : SHM-CD (no box)

43 : 36 : 27" -- from the post #139

Update:
    New Universal rating just came:

Mini LP SHM-SACD : Pt Mini LP SHM-CD : Mini LP SHM-CD
    39 : 32.5 : 27

It looks like that Uni is dropping the boxes.

"As long I'm alive, nobody will touch my tapes." -- E.J.

21. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

I made a mistake in editing this post. I meant to write that I have listened to the SHM-CD of "UK", I haven't heard "the Green Album". Sorry for the confusion.

BTW I'm just listening to the old One Way Records CD of the "Green Album". Boy...the 80s production style is really grating, I don't believe the sound could be salvaged even by the best mastering. But the music is quite interesting. Haven't listened to the album in a long time and I'm enjoying it.

22. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

I hope this isn't going to be considered a thread crap, but I never understood the acclaim for the Green Album. To me it sounded like a typical '80s style new wave based music with ever-so-slight touches of prog. I think some of my disappointment was because of the feeling that Jobson was capable of writing much better material, even if he chose to go down the new wave route (which I don't think is bad inherently). Plus Eddie's not really a great singer, much like Eno wasn't. But at least Eno's song albums had some inspired material, even if I don't think any of them are great from beginning to end.

Finally, there's the issue that the guest appearance of Gentle Giant's Gary Green was a big reason I bought this - yet I couldn't even discern his contribution at all, even knowing the tracks he played on!

sound chaser likes this.
  23. toilet_doctor

Japan U.K. 4 discs Promo box set is available now on eBay through the DU box set dealers only:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...inum+box&_nkw=U.K.++Platinum+box&_sacat=11233

Please read about DU boxes at New SHM-SACDs last word on packaging, sonics PART TWO (page 19, post #472):

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...d-on-packaging-sonics-part-two.359066/page-19

"hatred and jealousy gonna be the death of me..." -- John Lennon (Scared album Walls and Bridges)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  24. fra_pe

fra_pe Forum Resident

Please order!! I will wait a bit until the 5.1 announcement;-))

25. Frippwire

Frippwire Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.