U.S. Revolver?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Keith V, Oct 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moofassa_ca

moofassa_ca Senior Member

But those laminate Parlophone album jackets sure look purdy didn't they? I have a few original 60's early 70's Beatles UK pressings in good shape, and I have to handle them a bit more carefully than the studier Canadian Capitols.

lemonade kid, SixtiesGuy and Keith V like this.
  2. I never got too attached to the US albums up to and including MMT because they were my sister's and we had a portable Heathkit record player like the one below (but not as beat up) and I would stick the microphone of my mono tape recorder in front of it between the speakers and tape the albums so I could listen to them when I wanted to. That was my version of fold down mono. I got my own copies of the White Album, Abbey Road, and Let It Be. Somewhere along the line I found out about the differences between the UK and US album so when I got a job, got some money and they were available, I went out and bought the UK versions of the earlier albums. And even though I lived here on the West Coast of the USA my whole life, I couldn't tell you what songs are on albums like Beatles 65 and Beatles VI because I always think in terms of the UK albums.
    • [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I used to have that same Heathkit stereo! Built it myself from their kit. I eventually made separate speaker cabinets in woodshop class and I found a plastic dust cover for the turntable, and so turned it into a "component" system. I devised a remote control system by tying string to the turntable controls and snaking them around the room so I could lie in bed and change albums. It didn't sound all that good, but I didn't care, it was mine, dammit!

ParloFax and imawalrus like this.
  4. My dad built ours. He also built a Heathkit shortwave radio and later gave me a Heathkit table top FM stereo to build on my own. It was similar in layout to this record player but smaller. I set the radio on a stand next to my bed at ear level with one speaker left in it and I built a speaker cabinet for the other speaker and put it up on my wall on the other side of the bed, ran of pair of speaker wires to it and I had "surround sound".

Keith V and ParloFax like this.
  5. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Canadian Beatles cassettes are excellent. To me, often surpassing even the U.K. cassettes, some of which I own. Using the UK master tapes is obviously a major factor. I'm wondering, though, if something about the way the cassettes were manufactured in Canada, the type of shells they used, quality control, and other related factors played a role as well.

Keith V likes this.
  6. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Dunno about the way the Canadian cassettes were manufactured, but from what I remember they sounded good and lasted a while- I oughta know, when I first got into The Beatles in '87 I got 'em all! I still have my old Revolver cassette -U.S. version, no less- because I thought the cover looked really cool:
    [​IMG]

Of course, there was the Capitol cassette of Back To The Egg I bought where the tape was backwards (easily returnable, though)...that's the only quality control screw up I can think of.

DRM likes this.
  7. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I wonder how rare this backwards tape was. Brings to mind the age old question, which came first...the chicken or the egg? "Back To The Egg! Just play it backwards!"

I bought a used cassette version of Back To The Egg fairly recently. It's in my stack of cassettes awaiting a new shell. It's quite encouraging how many old prerecorded Beatles cassettes I've been able to revive by putting them into a brand new Sony cassette shell. Usually an old tape is still in great shape, it's the old shell and pressure pad that need replaced. I save the old shell with the song titles, etc...and keep it next to the revived and reinvigorated cassette.

8. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

No, the backwards tape was clearly a quality control kinda thing...I remember buying another cassette (can't remember which, Stones I think) where there was no actual tape on the reels. I was able to exchange that one as well.

DRM likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.