U.S. Revolver?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Keith V, Oct 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Couldn't agree more. Y&T is a great album....

Classicolin, musicfan37 and Rfreeman like this.
  2. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Had you heard the US Revolver as it came out as a brand new release let me assure you the greatness was still revealed. On the heels of the Revolver songs already given to us on Yesterday and Today just a month and a half earlier, it was part of the huge newness of NOW! With new LPs and singles coming at such a rapid pace there was rarely time to contemplate what's next. There was barely time to assimilate what was new. The only thing for sure that you had begun to get used to, was that whatever was coming was not going to like what had come before.
    It ended up for many of us to be a hallmark of the 60's music in general...Dylan, Beach Boys, Kinks, the Who, Stones on and on.
    As a teenager discovering music, building a knowledge of music, discovering my own personal taste in music, imagine my surprise to discover as time went on that this was not the norm. I was young, but remembering a time of no Beatles, I had no reason to believe that every few years wouldn't raise up a new Beatles or Dylan or Hendrix.
    But, in terms of this discussion I was surprised when I discovered Beatle records were so chopped up, re-eq'd, etc. BUT, above all else even played back on our universally awful record players back in the day, the music succeeded.
    Me, like thousands of others have chased and pursued the rush of the incredible newness of listening to Revolver in the summer of 66, by spending way too much money over the past fifty years to no avail. It's sounded better, but no greater.

3. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

I did, and I never understood all the fuss abut the album until I heard the entire album (UK version). I liked the 3 Lennon tracks that were removed from the US version, and didn't like 2 or 3 of the mere 11 tracks that they kept.

bizmopeen and Keith V like this.
  4. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

They didn't so much have to cut three songs, they cut the three songs they had released less than two months earlier on Yesterday...and Today. Should they have repeated them on Revolver? :nyah: ;)

Otherwise, this decision on how to craft Revolver, would have had to have been made prior to the release of Yesterday...and Today. But Capitol was only able to release Y&T because pre-release tapes of ...Sleeping, Dr. Robert, and And Your Bird...were shipped across the pond for Y&T because they were ready (I don't know why those particular tracks, in lieu of others that might have been ready for the UK Revolver, were sent).

Capitol didn't care about balance, they cared about profit. They took the three tracks they got, cobbled together Y&T and put it out. Then they put out the rest on Revolver. To think that anyone at Capitol thought "Wait, it might be better if..." for any reason other than maximizing profits is complete fallacy.

Just a rant; not directed @Brian Kelly.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    zobalob, ralph7109 and Keith V like this.
  5. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident Thread Starter

Good point. Those three were sent from England even though there were others ready.

Archtop likes this.
  6. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

We're not talking about Rubber Soul in this thread, are we?

7. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Wow never realized that, and one of my favorites

Classicolin likes this.
  8. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

No, some are discussing how much McCartney tracks ruin albums for them.

But the Rubber Soul vs. Revolver issue was settled as a matter of not enough coffee. Fair enough in my book.

9. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

It's hard to make a case for Revolver, but the Capital version of Rubber Soul is a winner. I prefer that version of that album. Deleting songs off of Revolver and not having put Paperback Writer or Rain on there, was a mistake.

10. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

Nope. Revolver suffers without those Lennon songs.

Beatles Floyd likes this.
  11. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

That's like asking me to make a case for non-alcoholic beer.

zobalob, ailgin, Keith V and 2 others like this.
  12. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Making a shorter album helps in the matter of inner groove distortion.

Keith V likes this.
  13. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Or 3.2 beer! o_O

Keith V likes this.
  14. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Three perfectly healthy songs amputated. Two arms and a leg. It's difficult to say that it helped. Doctor Robert might disagree...

15. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

I do like the US mixes of the 3 songs that were pulled for Y&T a lot better than the mixes that ended up on the UK Revolver, they seem to rock a bit more. But the US Revolver is easily the most pointless of the Capitol albums. You can make a case for the others if you like the mixed-up track lists and different titles & covers, but Revolver was just Capitol being lazy.

entropyfan likes this.
  16. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Seriously, when I first saw the thread title I presumed it was some band I'd never heard of

Fullbug likes this.
  17. I agree with let him run...'s comment above. I only discovered the Capitol "Revolver" in 1971, not even being aware of the longer UK albums, but I found it so great that it didn't even enter my mind then that it was way too short for the money. Today it shocks me as a bit of a rip-off, but in the old days - even poor as I was - I and most folks didn't think like that. It was just >IT<, and we didn't measure its "size".

...BTW, is there a reason why the spelling "capitAl", for one of the most famous American record labels ever, is still so rampant? Like a word play on the word capitalist perhaps? I am not discussing capitalism here; I'm just curious about this...

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  18. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

The us cd reissue has mono mixes and better packaging

19. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I think you're thinking of Rubber Soul.

20. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Well, it's not as if the three 'missing' songs aren't already on Yesterday & Today - which, luckily I bought before Revolver.

Revolver probably didn't have the initial impact in the US as a 'landmark album of all time' due to those missing songs, overall, so everything we've heard about it for the last 30 years is a bit of revisionism if you didn't grow up or first discover the UK version.

Americans were busier, on the whole, however, and didn't have time for 'extra songs'.

If I want extra songs, I'll listen to the White Album.

21. slane

slane Forum Resident

The Early Beatles is just as pointless - the same tracks as on a single UK album, except 3 are missing.

Keith V likes this.
  22. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

George would presumably have been pleased with the 11-track US Revolver, as - for the first and last time - over a quarter of the album was given over to his compositions (3 out of 11 tracks, or 27%, compared with a mere 21% of the 14-track UK version).

And possibly explaining his maniacal grin on the Yesterday and Today cover.;)

23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, it seems to me the only argument for the US "Revolver" is nostalgia because it's the version many of us grew up hearing.

I think US "Revolver" was the first Beatles studio album I ever played. I got "Hollywood Bowl" in 1977 but didn't play any other Fabs until my stepmother entered the picture in early 1979.

She had a handful of Beatles albums she'd owned in the 60s: "Revolver", "AHDN", "Pepper's", "White Album" and "Abbey Road", IIRC.

Not sure why I chose to play "Revolver" first, but I still remember putting the needle on the record and going "WTF is THIS???" when that weird intro to "Taxman" started!

37 years later, I still "hear" the "Revolver" songs in the US sequence - ie, when "Rigby" ends, I still expect to hear "Love You To", not "I'm Only Sleeping"...

24. Oatsdad

It's clear he's making anti-Paul trolling comments... :sigh:

notesfrom, Tristero and Rfreeman like this.
  25. Oatsdad

Even as a kid before I really understood the UK/US version distinction, I thought it was odd that John was such a no-show on the US "Revolver". It seemed so odd that George had more songs than John!

mmars982 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.