U-Turn Audio - Orbit Turntable Reviews

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thepluralofvinyl, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thepluralofvinyl

thepluralofvinyl Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is the closest thing to an Orbit Review I've spotted. In the comments of this photo a gentleman says he got his. He says it sounds good but he's having issues (hopefully temporarily) with the belt staying on at 45. Anyone else have a TT with an exposed belt? Does that platter have a groove to hold it in place and/or keep the speed steady? Hopefully this is the first of many reviews!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...50692838.96132.390903660990017&type=1&theater

2. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

Someone on AK has one and has posted some initial impressions.

3. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Anxious to see when I get mine, paid for it at the beginning of the year as I recall.

Billy Budapest and action pact like this.
  4. thepluralofvinyl

Can you post some of the text? I forgot my AK password and despite trying, Long Play, Long Playing, Long Player and more I can't get the correct answer to their stupid safety question.

5. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Contact a moderator!

6. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

You can't. I have the same problem logging in. Their website is pathetic.

7. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

"My old LPs sounded sweet and very "analog-like," which is to say rich, warm and inviting. Play a great audiophile LP, like Patricia Barber's newly remastered "Companion," and you'll hear a sound that goes beyond the high-resolution downloads. I'm defining "best" as more lifelike, and because of that the music draws you in more completely than digital formats ever do. That's vinyl's big advantage -- it's harder to ignore the music and multitask with a turntable. Yes, you have to go over and change the LP every twenty minutes, and figure out what you're going to play next. That's a plus, you're involved with music on a different level when you actively participate in what you're listening to."

Why does this sound like every horsesh*t plug for vinyl I've ever heard. "analog-like" Duh. "music draws you in more" Really? Quantify this for me in a real way. I currently have four tables and I'm getting more frustrated every day with the upkeep and distortion inherent to a less-than-perfect setup.

Gumboo, rcsrich and jeffsab like this.
  9. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Just play cds and chill dude. :winkgrin:

10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Sagely advice. :)

11. Doug G.

Doug G. Forum Resident

It is NOT AK's fault if a member cannot remember their password or the correct answer to a security question.
    But I guess it''s easier to blame them than yourself, huh.

Doug

Bubbamike likes this.
  12. Scott Hicks

Scott Hicks Active Member

I had one here at the shop.... it was no entry level rega like I have heard it compared to numerous times.... the arm is its biggest shortcoming for me. I felt as if the weight was going to break off or bend.

vpiindustries likes this.
  13. How did you "have one at the shop"?

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

McLover and vpiindustries like this.
  15. That's my point. The U-Turn is direct order only, correct? How would someplace like Brooks Berdan get their hands on one, and why?

16. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Perhaps they bought one out of curiosity.

17. j.t.k.

j.t.k. Senior Member

I got mine about a week ago. I've been playing records every night, and I'm happy with it. I'm not going to tell you the music is more involving or any of that BS, but it sounds better than my previous table (an Audio-Technica china thing with speed problems). My records are all either old, secondhand, or both, and I was never going to spend a ton on a player anyway, so this is perfect for me. It's certainly better than a lot of other stuff at the price point.

18. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

A lot of industry people did, in part to lend a hand with a new venture, and also to see exactly what they came up with. I would think for a dealer it would be really smart to spend a couple hundred bucks on one, if for no other reason to see what you're selling against with a Rega or Pro-Ject for $400 - $500.

Smart thinking on Brooks Berdan's part, I say….

McLover and ARCCJ like this.
  19. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

I guess this TT looks OK, but I similar to Stephen Mejias of sterophile on the lightspeed geek dac, i'm not sure kickstarter was really an appropriate place to sell this. Seems like it was more of a pre-order than funding the development. I guess there is a fine line though. I would prefer to see companies take the risk on themselves (getting financing/investors) rather than put it on the "backers" -- what if it turns out to suck? Can you get your $$ back?

20. True . . .

21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I saw on the U-Turn website that they were going to be on display at Brooks Berdan (in Boston?)

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

CHA-CHING! There we go! This is a review I'm waiting for. He's getting better sound out of it than your mass produced lower end tables. That would be your IONs, Audio Technica (which I had even heard good things about) Stanton, Crosley....

So good. It's an audible step up from the $100-120 tables. Nice.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
    McLover, rcsrich and mikeyt like this.
  23. j.t.k.

j.t.k. Senior Member

My AT was the AT-LP240 (aka the Super China turntable because it was sold under so many different brands), if that makes a difference. It was slightly slow and it started to drive me nuts on music I was familiar with.

I was unable to make direct comparisons, but I would rate the U-Turn as equal to a newer Dual I had about 10 years ago (I believe it was a CS-455) and not as good as my dad's Dual 1218 when it's working correctly.

24. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Still trying to work the Bugs out of mine , thought i had it going with a new belt ...but not so , then they had me use Talcum powder on the belt & that did not work ....... belt travelsup & down while playing on 33 RPM , but not during 45 RPM ...hopefully i can get this worked out , it's been going on for 2 & a 1/2 weeks now ......
    Today's video spinning at 45Rpm & then after at 33 Rpm

25. thepluralofvinyl

Is it actually effecting the sound? (I watched with the sound off).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.