U2 hint at breakup on final tour date

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by carrolls, Nov 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident Thread Starter

Bono hinted at a breakup on the final date in Milan when he said "U2 are going away now".
    Love them or hate them, they have been one of the biggest live bands of the last 30 years. It will be a sad day for me if its true and thats it.

2. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Man... so now we'll get the break-up album...

Jimmy B., andrewskyDE, tmtomh and 6 others like this.
  3. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Probably just going away meaning taking a break, no? They have just done two back-to-back tours between the Joshua Tree tour and this second part of the Innocence and Experience tour. Not to mention releasing an new album in between those

Edit: found this: U2 not calling time on music career despite Bono's Berlin comment

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    vonwegen, Davidmk5, tmtomh and 9 others like this.
  4. HeyBullfrog

HeyBullfrog Friend of the Forum

Bono, in a couple years: "U2 are back now".

5. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

I wonder if it's time. At least for a reassessment. I saw them in London a month or so ago and while the staging was astounding I didn't really sense that Bono's heart was in it which was quite jarring for a performer who usually seems so invested. I'm not one of these U2 fans who thinks they've done nothing of merit for 20 years (I love NLOTH and SOI) but I think the last one was a mess. For the first time I felt they really failed to grab what they were reaching for and they seemed a little lost. I think they have more to give but they need to figure out what they really want out of it. They are never going to be one of the biggest bands on the planet again.

serj, PhilBorder, 2141 and 11 others like this.
  6. tingly

tingly Forum Resident

Bono said something similar near the end of the Lovetown tour. Some thought that he meant a breakup then, too.

vonwegen, RangerXT, LarsO and 5 others like this.
  7. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Hasn't he done this before?

PDK likes this.
  8. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

Ah, now, Bono says things he doesn’t mean all the time.

9. dockofthebay

dockofthebay Forum Resident

They'll be back. I saw them a few weeks ago and thought they were amazing. While SOE didn't grab me initially, it's currently my go-go U2 album (along with SOI and NLOTH, funnily enough.)

There's no way they would go out while they are (in my opinion) at a peak. They'll definitely have a break and people will be glad to see them back after these comments... Dave Grohl does this after every Foo Fighters tour, too.

10. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Bono must have gotten a new gig at the UN.

AidanB, RangerXT, PDK and 3 others like this.
  11. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

He still hasn't found what he's looking for.

12. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

Followed by the reunion album and tour.

RangerXT and AlmanacZinger like this.
  13. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

There are already rumours the tour is going to Australia in 2019

14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Three very different tours and two new studio albums in the last four years, so a bit of a break makes sense. I saw all three shows and while Innocence+Experience and Joshua Tree (obviously) were quite fan-friendly, the recent Experience+Innocence Tour was a bit more daring and might have left casual fans perplexed. Nothing in the set pre-Achtung Baby, and an encore consisting of four relatively low-key numbers. They could have taken the easy way out and ended with "Pride" and "Where the Streets Have No Name", and I give them credit for going "outside the box". I thought it was a great show.

While I appreciate their desire to play their new music, I wouldn't mind if the next tour celebrated the 30th anniversary of Achtung Baby, with the entire album played ala Joshua Tree.

The MEZ, HenryH, davenav and 4 others like this.
  15. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I would imagine the band is pretty worn down after going through 3 tours in a 3 year period. After a 3-4 year break they will be back (unless Live Nation cattle prods them into doing another nostalgia tour).

lightbulb likes this.
  16. ronm

ronm audiofreak

As far as I am concerned U2s heyday was 25-30 years ago.No big loss.

Geir, Rockin' Robby, Scotian and 10 others like this.
  17. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

They still are one the biggest bands on the planet, just no longer the biggest.

He seemed totally into it when I saw them in NYC, they were probably wiped out by time they got to London

davenav and blastfurniss like this.
  18. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Bono will now have time to read the 30,000 threads you have started on The Beatles :righton:

19. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

We got a few pre-Achtung Baby. Sunday Bloody Sunday, I Will Follow, Pride, the ocean.....looks like they added Gloria at some shows....just no Joshua Tree since they had just done that tour

20. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I get the impression that this is just a misinterpretation. If I go away, it doesn't mean I vanish

21. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

We all romanticize and envy the lives of rock stars, but it has to be an incredibly exhausting grind. Three years straight at their age? It's got to be tough. When I first started traveling for business I thought that it was fun, but after my third or fourth trip, I'd had it. It doesn't matter how nice the hotel is, how good the meals are or how carefully the staff irons your clothes, you're not at home. The traveling itself is no fun at all. You're always marking time, building-up to or coming down from a performance.

I hope they all enjoy their year or two off and recharge their creative batteries.

22. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

Hope they will back one day with Mr.Eno or even with Mr.Eno and Mr.Lanois and will record something as beautiful as PASSENGERS album.

23. 911s55

911s55 Forum Resident

Unh unh unh, unh unh, unh unh, unh.

Fullbug likes this.
  24. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

They’ve been saying that for 3 years now...

25. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

You’re right, they played SBS, Pride and I Will Follow. I guess it just seemed that way, because at least at the show I saw, they seemed intent on avoiding any reliance on audience nostalgia at points in the show where it would be common to do so - opening, closing, encore. It was still reasonably well paced.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.