U2 Innocence and Experience Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Squealy, Apr 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Busy week at work, but i managed to pick up a ticket for tonight's concert! This was really fun night and a cool and interesting stage design! The performances were impressive, and Bono's voice sounded well rested throughout, had read last week's shows were a bit rough sounding.

The band finally played "The Crystal Ballroom" which was received favorably, still an incredible stage show. My seats were overlooking the "e" stage in center section 310 @ United Center.

Set One:

The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)
    The Electric Co., Send In The Clowns (snippet), I Can See For Miles (snippet)
    Vertigo
    I Will Follow
    Iris (Hold Me Close)
    Cedarwood Road
    Song For Someone
    Sunday Bloody Sunday (When Johnny Comes Marching Home(snippet)
    Raised By Wolves
    Until The End Of The World, Love And Peace Or Else (snippet)

Set Two:

Invisible
    Even Better Than The Real Thing
    Mysterious Ways, My Sweet Lord (snippet)
    The Crystal Ballroom
    Sweetest Thing
    Every Breaking Wave
    Bullet The Blue Sky , 19 (snippet Paul Hardcastle song)
    The Hands That Built America (snippet)
    Pride
    Beautiful Day, I Remember You (snippet)
    With Or Without You
    My Kind Of Town (snippet)

Encores:

City Of Blinding Lights
    Mother And Child Reunion (snippet)
    Where The Streets Have No Name
    California (There Is No End To Love) (snippet)
    Happy Birthday (snippet dedicated to, actor John Cusick)
    I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, People Have The Power (snippet)

dee and heatherly like this.
  2. pearle

pearle Forum Resident

4k youtube video of The Crystal Ballroom.

Song actually begins at 1:47 if you want to skip Bono talking.

heatherly and Panama Jack like this.
  3. ianbrown21

ianbrown21 Forum Resident

Anyone know if you can bring beer on the floor?

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'd be 1000% shocked if you couldn't!

5. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

We are funny up here in Canada. The Skydome stadium concert last time around allowed
    alcohol on the floor but I don't know about hockey arena gigs. As a rule you can't bring
    beer into GA sections on the floor. The reason.....who knows?!

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Ah - I didn't notice that the beer question came from a Canadian.

Not that my response would've been different, as I'd feel surprised that any arena wouldn't let you bring beer on the floor with you...

7. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I was at the U2 gig Tuesday in Toronto (yes, alcohol was allowed on the floor). I was in
    the first row off of the floor, directly above where Mr. Hewson came out to start the show.
    I could not have asked for a better seat. I was at the end of an aisle which was unavailable
    to anyone else so I didn't have to stand to let others go urinate all throughout the concert.
    I was within spitting distance of the `B' stage. Visually, I thought it was the most impressive
    arena show I've ever seen even if the sound was dreadful. As a live act, I don't think that U2
    is in the same class as Springsteen but others may disagree. The girl they brought up to
    play acoustic guitar was terrific. The `video screen' that the band performed in?! Wow. I
    bet Taylor Swift is berating her people even as we speak. No one does arena-rock like U2
    and I'm so glad I went......a bargain at $300 plus....LOL.

8. gabbleratchet7

gabbleratchet7 Forum Resident

I caught the Tuesday Toronto show as well. Agreed that it was an impressive production but the sound was a major disappointment, especially since the innovative ceiling speakers approach has been played up so much. Bono was in fine voice.

9. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Snagged seats for Boston. 3rd deck but center looking down on the flat screen so should be good. Got them for just over face value so I'm happy. Taking my 13 yr old nephew to his first concert and visiting Boston for weekend. :pineapple:

10. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

U2 have actually managed to sell out those 8 nights at MSG. Word of mouth on the shows has been very good.

heatherly likes this.
  11. pearle

pearle Forum Resident

I attended two of the Montreal shows. For the first night I was in seats across from the e (or B) stage and the sound was awful. The second night, however, I had seats near the main stage and the sound was much, much better.

The best sounding u2 show I've been to was probably the final show of the 360 tour in Moncton, N.B.

12. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Show in Boston first night was incredible. I've never seen them before and am very glad I made the trek. Visuals are world class. Bono's voice was insanely good and the sound was of of the best I'd ever heard in an arena.

This was probably top three all time on my concert experiences behind Roger Waters' The Wall show and Roger Waters' The Wall show. (2nd time)

JeffMo likes this.
  13. somebodywhocares

somebodywhocares Forum Resident

I was at the second Boston show, and I agree the show and performance were amazing. But the sound was terrible...the worst I've ever heard at the TD Garden or anywhere else for that matter. I was sitting at the far end of the arena, in the loge, looking right down toward the "B" stage. I could not understand a word Bono said all night. The band sounded like they were playing in a tin can with a blanket over the top. It was almost like the speakers for our end of the building weren't working.

So it appears that sound quality depends where you are in the building. I'm glad to hear you had great sound. I'm thinking of going back tomorrow night and trying to get balcony seats toward the center (where you were), both to get good sound but also to see the giant cage/screen, which I couldn't see from where we were sitting.

I'd be curious to hear from anyone else who went to Saturday's show....how was the sound and where were you sitting?

14. pjc1

pjc1 Forum Resident

I was on the floor both nights and thought the sound was horrible -- incredibly echo-y; very hard to understand what Bono was saying between songs. I have both concert earplugs and foam earplugs and had to use the foam due to the strident sound -- and my ears were STILL ringing the next day anyway.

But that all being said: this was a fantastic show -- best tour they've done since Zoo TV. I'd highly recommend seeing the show again with a view of those massive screens.

Rob C and somebodywhocares like this.
  15. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Interesting comments re sound system, given all pre your hype.

16. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Hmmm. I'm wondering if the speakers hanging from the upper rig pointing at the upper deck seats made all the difference. Who knows.

17. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

That's where I sat Saturday night, section 316. Great seats, great view of everything. Tomorrow night I'm in section 313, a corner wedge section overlooking the "e" stage. Should still be a great view.

18. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I wish they'd ban signs. One of the few annoyances of being close to the stage is a lot of hardcore fans hold up signs asking for certain songs to be played or to come up on stage.

19. uncle

uncle Senior Member

I was in Section 329 and I thought the sound was really good especially for that arena which normally has horrid acoustics. The only time I struggled with Bono was when he was doing the megaphone thing. I thought the guitar sounded especially clear and sweet.

20. uncle

uncle Senior Member

Oh and from all the people taping, the consensus seems to be that the balcony is the best place to tape from as all the other sections, the sound goes over your head.

21. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Some photos I took of the show.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ARK, jsb!, JeffMo and 7 others like this.
  22. pjc1

pjc1 Forum Resident

I was one of the folks complaining about the sound the first two nights in Boston. I was on the floor again tonight and, wow, the sound was MUCH better. No idea what tweaks were made, but it was a VAST improvement. No ringing ears tonight; the sound wasn't echo-y; I could understand what Bono was saying.

If you're a U2 fan at all, I highly recommend this show. Tonight may have been my favorite show of the 3 -- they were on fire!

- Paul

23. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

It's great that they're opening shows playing Patti Smith's "People Have The Power" as intro music.

I'm going to Madison Square Garden on July 31st.

24. somebodywhocares

somebodywhocares Forum Resident

I went back last night and sat in the balcony right in the center of the arena. It was like a totally different show. The sound was good, I could understand everything Bono said (except the megaphone parts, as someone else mentioned), and seeing the big cage/screen was incredible. I got some good pix I will post later. If anyone is on the fence about seeing this tour, do it. It is a wonder of performance and production. Bonus: they mixed up the second half of the set quite a bit compared to Saturday's show...so going to 2 shows in the same city, you are unlikely to get identical sets.

pjc1 likes this.
  25. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Their brief snippet of the Stones' Miss You was pretty cool tacked onto the end of The Crystal Ballroom.

ARK, bferr1, JeffMo and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.