U2 new album "Songs of Experience" coming December 1st, plus 2018 tour.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Boozyuzi, Aug 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

This was an issue long before the current, highly-charged atmosphere. I think it has more to do with people not liking when rich rock stars take on the voice of Moral Righteousness. Or at least, seeing a conflict there.

beasandpeans, enro99 and PDK like this.
  2. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

The more I listen to it, the more I like it!

[​IMG]

Bevok, GyroSE, GentleSenator and 8 others like this.
  3. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

That's a sexy package man!

GyroSE and Giorgio like this.
  4. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Yes, even on my vinyl, the same strange "noise" ... for a short time, a lot less than a minute ... not on the MP3 ...

5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Some younger people in my office asked me what I did in LA during the summer and I said I saw U2 at the Rose Bowl, and all of them were familiar with the band because Songs of Innocence just “appeared” on their phones. They said they tried to delete it , but it kept reapppearing. Pretty funny.

davers likes this.
  6. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

Ok, you just confirmed it for me

Thanks, but no thanks

Crimson jon likes this.
  7. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

mikedifr0923 and whisper3978 like this.
  8. Since the noise is on the vinyl and the CD but not on the MP3, I wonder if it is an intentional or unintentional noise on the master that somehow got 'filtered' out by the MP3 creation process. For example, maybe they are digital glitches that are only about one digital sample in width, and the process of creating an MP3 doesn't catch them.

(I have only a vague idea of what I'm talking about, so I hope someone more expert than me will correct me if this doesn't make technical sense.)

Giorgio likes this.
  9. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

I have a vague idea of this too, but to me it makes sense.

BeatlesBop likes this.
  10. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Thanks for posting, great interview

11. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

A 2nd listen this time on my headphones walking to and back from work.

Yeah still liking it, will give the vinyl another airing at the weekend and continue to familiarise myself with it throughout the week on my MP3.

Although it didn't quite grab me like SOI so far but definitely preferring it to ATYCLB, HTDAAB & NLOTH.

For me it seems the teenies are definitly stronger than the noughties output from the band so far.

It seems what I've heard it's a very strong set but nothing standing out just yet although The Little Things That Give You Away has the potential to become something very special. I got a little moment hearing it today that only comes when U2 hit on that thing that only they can. The opening track is unusally haunting and low key for them which makes a nice change.

Also while I know Bono's voice isn't what it used to be he still sounds pretty damn good for 50+ and very few vocalists put the hairs on the back of my neck like he does.

I guess some people are never going to get it and that is fine, I just find that when it comes to powerful, emotional rock music they have very few peers.

I'm not saying they are the greatest but they have a niche that many have tried to ape (Coldplay, Snow Patrol I'm looking at you) but they are always missing that ingredient that makes U2 U2 and for me Bono is a huge portion of that. Chris Martin is dreary and has very weak voice in comparrison, he only wishes he had the power that Bono has.

So far I'm not disappointed and it feels like it might take a little longer, but definitely a grower.

12. Alofter

Alofter Nowhere Man

I just love the flow of Red Flag Day. The haunting echo of Edges harmony with Bono is soooooo good. On today's listen I noticed some new guitar sounds buried in the mix. I have got to listen to this on cans. I also wanted to hear some classic Edge sounds in a couple of the breaks and transitions. A 747 sound in The Blackout would have been pretty cool.
    I also really get the feeling that Edge didn't want to do The Edge on this album, only when it was needed. >The Little Things> Book> Your The Best Thing.

Bevok, Elliottmarx and pablohoney like this.
  13. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Ordinary people who work hard to achieve extraordinary success have to surrender their upbringing and the wrongs they experienced once they have wealth?
    Their viewpoints on morality and righteousness are much more valuable than the born with silver spoons of silver spoons.

Paul R, Bevok and beasandpeans like this.
  14. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I have to say that I’ve listened to the album twice last week and haven’t had the urge to do it again. I really liked SOI (especially adding a few tracks, and deleting a few others), but this one hasn’t grabbed me yet. I’m going through some issues, so maybe this has something to do with it. I might end up doing the same thing as I did with SOI and make a version with some bonus tracks and take out a few.
    I also have to say that Lights Of Home really falls flat, American Soul is an unpleasant echo of its better brother Volcano. Luckily, the album seems to pick up midway through. I’ll give it another chance after I find out if I’m getting a divorce or not.

PDK likes this.
  15. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Listening to the album more and more and giving it time to form a sense of familiarity in my mind, I do find myself growing fonder of it

I did not like the pre-release songs save for The Blackout which I still think is one of the strongest songs on the album. But in context, I think that the record flows well, the songs themselves are decently written, and the sound quality is nice too in my opinion

Is it Achtung Baby? No, but I will say that this easily kicks the crap out of How to Dismantle and Atomic Bomb and No Line On The Horizon (in my opinion of course)

BeatlesBop likes this.
  16. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

I was at this show as well, nice surprise.

azjvm05 likes this.
  17. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

bickering=thread ban

Umbari likes this.
  18. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I was there! I was freaking out when they played it I was not expecting it at all based on the setlists from the shows from that tour up until then.

azjvm05 likes this.
  19. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I like this summation. :righton: :righton:

I think I will likely prefer it to the sonic messes that are Dismantle and No Line, but it will be hard to say it tops ATYCLB simply because that record is so top-heavy. The first five songs are all stone cold U2 classics, and for good reasons, and I love When I Look at the World.

Just thinking about that album reminds me that Kite might very well be my favorite U2 song of the 21st century.

LarsO and via_atx like this.
  20. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

My packages arrived today - Deluxe CD and deluxe vinyl. So, first thought was the vinyl deluxe package was really supremely done! Beautiful set.

So, I figured I would rip the CD as usual and play that first. Seeing how this is U2 and given their recent track record I just fully expected it to be bricked, loud, and horrible sounding. Well, I am 4 tracks in, and I have to say, the CD sounds great! Nice and smooth, not overly loud. If the vinyl is even better, I am in for a treat!

I will have to post back on my thoughts on the actual Music one I have a chance to digest it. I was in the camp that thought songs of innocence was really great, so hopefully the companion piece is as pleasing to me as a longtime fan.

Bevok, bferr1, azjvm05 and 2 others like this.
  21. pablohoney

pablohoney Forum Resident

Yes, I really like this song. Guitar and tempo are great

22. HBJ

HBJ Forum Resident

It says DR 8 (EU version though):

Album details - Dynamic Range Database

cber1517 likes this.
  23. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

I don't believe that! It sounds great to me and is mastered very quiet. Quite crankable. One of the better sounding new releases of this year imo.

bferr1 likes this.
  24. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

I know. I looked it up mid listen. DR values don’t always tell the whole story. It may have technically low DR value. Who cares, if it sounds great? To me, it sounds good, DR 8 and all.

Johnny Reb and PDK like this.
  25. The noise is not on the redbook (wav-format 16/44.1) format. Has it been reported to be on the actual CD also? I must have missed that.

Edit: I now the post where it is mentioned to be on the CD also, but I am not sure if this refers to the same thing, because there are some strange synthesizer sounds going on during the song, but that is not what I am referring to. I am talking about a sizzling kind of noise, more predominantly in the left channel.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.