U2 new album "Songs of Experience" coming December 1st, plus 2018 tour.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Boozyuzi, Aug 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

They seem to prefer to do multiple shows in one location and expect fans to travel to them

2. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Yes, it seems that they do prefer that solution this time...well Denmark isn't far from here... ;)

3. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

They can stay in the same hotel for a week. Sometimes they rent houses.

4. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Four dates for Milan (very close where I live), and I could not find a ticket for less than 225 euros (more or less $280) ... ok, no U2 for me :(

5. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

SJP and dee like this.
  6. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

You can’t be on the fence about this, it’s a great album.

7. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

It really is a great album.

It had to grow on me...and those are usually the ones that stick FOR ME.

8. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

"American Soul" is apparently the theme for this year's March Madness, including this 30-second advert which played last night:

9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Finally got my fan club 10" singles. A beautiful package.

bluesbro, azjvm05 and longdist01 like this.
  10. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

I bought the standard CD on eBay for $3.99. Excellent deal on a good album.

11. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Well, 3 months on from getting the deluxe edition as an Xmas present (yes, it was a big surprise), I am really liking this now. Yes, there are a few weak songs (not so keen on 'The Showman' or 'Lights of Home') but the rest are really good. Better than NLOTH? No but certainly the 2nd best album they've released this century.

azjvm05 and LarsO like this.
  12. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Still waiting on mine.

13. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

me too, this year gift will be out by the time I get last years :(

14. uncle

uncle Senior Member

Really hoping they add Wild Horses to the set-list per the rehearsal footage. One of my favorite all time songs and would love to hear it again live.

enro99, JeffMo and azjvm05 like this.
  15. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

I never need to hear this song again after watching four straight days of NCAA Tournament action.

To be fair, I also never need to watch Common talk about technology, why I should (or shouldn't?) label NCAA athletes, Charles Barkey clowing it up with Samuel Jackson and Spike Lee, or any of the other advertisements I was clobbered with during each commercial break.

JeffMo and Johnny Reb like this.
  16. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Yeah, I've never heard it performed properly, just an acoustic version a couple times in 2005.

uncle likes this.
  17. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

We hear this from the U2 faithful with every album release.

walrus likes this.
  18. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I haven't listened to this since about a month after it came out, but I am sure I will circle back to it at some point.

19. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

Different strokes I guess...Lights of Home IMO is the best thing they've done in 20 years!

JeffMo likes this.
  20. azjvm05

azjvm05 Forum Resident

U2 played it at the finale of the Vertigo Tour in Hawaii, December 2006. I was able to go ... They brought up some fan to play keyboards on it. It was sloppy as it wasn't on the planned setlist, but still nice to hear.

I'd be thrilled if they played it properly this tour.

21. dee

dee Senior Member

I try to revist the album and give bits of it a new listen every few weeks or so but for the last time lol, in this thread, it's just not for me. Glad other fans enjoy it. To me, it's like The Voice, American Idol meets Coldplay or something....I feel sick when I listen to it. Other than Love Is All We Have Left, which I like with its musical ambiance and sort of duality in its lyrical message, that has become my favorite track. I don't even like Book Of My Heart much anymore or what the Little Things is like on SOE. The sound and energy of Best Thing, which I like, is harder to maintain interest in after repeat listens as the song itself is kind of a 'wrote' one. I don't 'believe' much of SOE, and I feel like or hear an artificiality and sonic limpness to it, as well as too much of a contrived nature again for the singles (at least Best Thing seems more natural and organic to me fwiw). There's some bits and pieces (a verse here, a chorus there, a bridge between them) in some of the songs that I do like, but seldom if ever all at once. I do hope U2 continue on in the studio and release another album.

I consider myself one of the faithful and I really enjoy and respect many of the SOI DELUXE EDITION tracks, but SOE it's so painful for this fan to listen to. Too synthetic, too many 'sing-song' based verses and 'Bono hip-hop' addendums in the songs. I think in a few posts in this thread alone is the most amount of negative things I've probably ever said about one of U2's albums or songs if I were to combine 20 years of my own comments! (Don't get me started on some of the 'awful' and invasive one-note tinkle tinkle 'piano/keyboard' stuff on "Atomic Bomb" though either. Or the NLOTH singles. Geez I still want to really like this band so thank them so much for SOI Deluxe. I got the heartstrings pulled on that one...

Apologies for my own self-indulgent post!

mattright, walrus and azjvm05 like this.
  22. azjvm05

azjvm05 Forum Resident

I can completely understand the reasons you stated for not liking SOE much. There are some places in this record that make me roll my eyes. But I did the same thing for SOI. When I heard the SOI songs live, it clicked for me, and I can fully enjoy the studio versions. I'm hoping the same thing happens when I see U2 in May.
    I think The Little Things That Give You Away is going to be a highlight of this tour. I got to hear it at the Rose Bowl last year, and while it probably wasn't fully complete yet it was great

dee likes this.
  23. dee

dee Senior Member

Thanks...

24. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

This is a long-winded way (not meant as an insult, I promise!) of saying "they're trying too hard."

azjvm05 and dee like this.
  25. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I'm concerned that Songs of Ascent have been brewing too long now as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.