U2 new album "Songs of Experience" coming December 1st, plus 2018 tour.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Boozyuzi, Aug 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

Throwing the ******** flag, and I've got the bootleg recordings to back it up. Denver and Boulder are very liberal towns. You've got to go down to Colorado Springs and Pueblo to find all the Focus on the Family right-wing nutbags. And I say that as a former resident of Colorado Springs.....

But U2's audiences everywhere understand their politics.

2. pearle

pearle Forum Resident

It wouldn't be a proper U2 tour without Bono taking a fall on stage:

Twitter

whisper3978 likes this.
  3. uncle

uncle Senior Member

Bono is not a very coordinated man.

4. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Yikes! He must be the most injury prone man in rock. I hope he's ok for tonight's show, been really looking forward to it.

5. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

He moves in mysterious ways sometimes

6. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Excellent show last night in Chicago. I hadn't seen the band since the claw tour so it was nice to reconnect. I really liked the screen and the presentation, very very cool. The sound was really good too.

I must say, they are so darned polished at this point it was like seeing a Broadway play, Cirque du Soleil or something. I really enjoyed it though. The setlist was great too. I get the feeling some were disappointed that they didn't play more 'hits', but I was quite happy to hear all the new material live.

7. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

But you also have to accept the consequences that go with your politcal commentary. Bono alienated half of America on the last Joshua Tree tour.

PDK likes this.
  8. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

What does this even mean? What are the consequences and who's not accepting them? The current tour has had pretty strong sales from what I can tell looking at the Ticketmaster maps, especially given it's their third tour in as many years. As I noted in a previous post, the band doesn't care if you or "half of America" don't like their politics and at this point in their career they have the luxury of not caring.

And again with the vagaries, "half of America". Everyone making this argument, has no proof to back it up. Just stating it doesn't make it true and whatever people don't like their current politics, couldn't have liked their previous politics, so why were they listening in the first place?

GLUDFSSR, fmfxray373, via_atx and 5 others like this.
  9. pearle

pearle Forum Resident

4k video of Red Flag Day last night in Chicago:

10. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

How so did Bono alienate half of America? Was it because he introduced a song by celebrating women, their achievements and wanted to have more power to them? He didn't have many other topic speeches during the show. So if that was the reason then I didn't think men in America (as that's about half of the population and I doubt many women were against that sentiment) would be that sensitive.

Trabik, jimhb, BadJack and 1 other person like this.
  11. Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac Zooropa... better by design

I honestly cannot wait til Montreal night 1 and 2. I love and I mean love this new material from SOE. It grows on me more and more everytime I hear it, and fell in love with it the first time I heard it. I was a more than casual fan but not quite a hardcore fan before this album, but this album is the single cause for me to explore the entire catalogue. For the first time in Montreal I'll be ahead of the curve and be the one going nuts for RFD, Get out of Your Own Way, 13 etc etc

RTurner, JeffMo, DPK and 1 other person like this.
  12. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

Best U2 song in years.

longdist01 and DreamIsOver like this.
  13. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Some of those woman have questionable ethics but, it was the film intro to Exit.

14. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

People stop attending concerts. Just look at the NFL.

PDK likes this.
  15. Dreaddazzman

Tell yourself whatever you need to. As already noted, the current tour is selling just fine - but why bother with facts when you can rely on unsubstantiated conjecture?

GLUDFSSR and jimhb like this.
  16. tingly

tingly Forum Resident

Considering that U2 has been loudly on the left for 30+ years, the amount of newly-alienated couldn't have been significant.

17. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

"Ok Edge...play the blues!"

18. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Because we're discussing where things are heading.

PDK likes this.
  19. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Things are a little different the last couple years.

20. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Missed it with work project this week, also they haven't included "Raised by Wolves" for recent shows.

21. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Because a lot of ticket prices were lowered close to the show date due to lack of sales and to get them as close as possible to selling out. I went to the St Louis show and there were still a lot of tickets up for sale a week before the show, before they dropped big time in the days before. I got a ticket for $40 two days before the show.

PDK and JeffMo like this.
  22. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

But we need to look at facts, and facts actually related to U2. Do we have statistics and polls of people who might have seen U2 who won't now because of that 1 minute clip before a song last tour?

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  23. via_atx

via_atx Forum Resident

Nice! So bummed they didn't play this at the second L.A. show I went to.

24. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I would go for that price, but Boston is a big U2 town and they added a third show here. I highly doubt that it won't sell out or that prices drop that low.

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  25. Dreaddazzman

Overpriced tickets is a different argument than the one that was being posited, which was that tickets weren't selling because of politics (or as someone would have you believe "verified fan"). Doesn't change the fact that tickets are selling. If people were staying away for political reasons, the ticket price would be irrelevant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.