U2 new album "Songs of Experience" coming December 1st, plus 2018 tour.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Boozyuzi, Aug 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

These are also good points. I was really confused by the acoustic version of "Best Thing." It was such an odd choice.

For almost their entire career, every U2 album had songs that didn't really click until they played them live, even to the point where during Pop they entirely re-recorded three songs for single release based on how they had evolved during the tour (and did this later for "Elevation," "Walk On," "All Because Of You," etc). This is the first time I think that hasn't been the case, where iffy album songs became something significantly greater in concert. Like you said, it doesn't help that some of the most rocking songs on the record aren't...really great songs to begin with. I think they're always searching for another "Elevation" or "Fly" but just don't have it in them creatively.

Dave513 and George Co-Stanza like this.
  2. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

:edthumbs:

For me, it is hard for new U2 songs to become better live simply because Bono's voice isn't what it used to be. As much as I love City of Blinding Lights, I am still in search of that one perfect version (since the studio version doesn't have Edge's lead guitar as pronounced, and every live version I have heard is lacking a bit due to Bono's inability to belt each chorus out like is needed for it slay).

Dave513 likes this.
  3. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

The official Vertigo tour DVD was shot (perhaps frustratingly so) during the first two months of the tour, so he sings it pretty well there, but I feel like the guitar isn't mixed well in that release at all.

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I thought some of the "SOE" songs got a boost - like "Blackout".

I agree the acoustic "Best Thing" was a head-scratcher. Total arena-rocker and you go acoustic???

Dave513 likes this.
  5. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

I like SOI/SOE but really think Best Thing is a clunker. Too many awkward changes, much like Boots (although not as embarrassing).

6. Oatsdad

I like "Best Thing" and was disappointed by its live presentation.

But then again, I always liked "Boots", so feel free to totally discard my opinion! :D

jalexander likes this.
  7. George Co-Stanza

Done. :D

The only thing I like about that song is the "Let me in the sound" part, and we get that in the Fez part of Being Born, so it works for me! :cool:

8. Oatsdad

I just tend to like pretty much anything U2 does that leans more toward an aggressive rock sound. "Boots" isn't a classic but they do so few songs in the "Elevation"/"Vertigo" vein that I take what I can get! :)

PDK and Panama Jack like this.
  9. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

When is it too late to announce a JT17 concert DVD/netflix/Blu/whatever before the Xmas season?

longdist01 likes this.
  10. George Co-Stanza

Has there been anything announced about its inevitable release? I don't recall hearing that was even being worked on yet. I would guess they will tackle that once this current tour is over.

11. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Forum Resident

U2 Songs, which is usually extremely reliable, says it’s coming before Christmas.

If they release it in mid-December, they could wait until as late the first or second week of November before announcing it.

JeffMo and George Co-Stanza like this.
  12. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Begs the question, where was it filmed if it is coming?

13. y531ly5

y531ly5 Forum Resident

14. George Co-Stanza

Gotcha. I was unaware.

For my money, they will never top the ZOO TV DVD from Sydney. I wish they would clean it up a little for a Blu-ray release.

Complier, PDK, Dave513 and 2 others like this.
  15. I thought I read at some stage they were going to package it in a 2 concert set with a SOE show.

16. Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac Zooropa... better by design

Wish they would clean everything up for a Blu Ray release. Zoo, Slane, Vertigo etc etc

George Co-Stanza and longdist01 like this.
  17. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Forum Resident

I don't know... I'm just going off of this:

"The crew at U2Achtung mentioned a fall release of The Joshua Tree 2017 tour on home video earlier this year. We are happy to be able to tell you that we have confirmed this rumour with our own sources. The release is expected before Christmas of this year, and will feature traditional physical release formats and it will also be available as a digital download. The video will focus on The Joshua Tree 2017 tour, and is not expected to feature any material from the current tour. The footage will be made up mostly of material from the two concerts filmed in Mexico City last October. The film is directed by longtime collaborator Anton Corbin, whose images filled the screens during the tour. Additional footage filmed in San Diego and throughout the South American tour stops on the final leg are expected to be used as well, but we are told the bulk of the footage will be from the Mexico concerts on October 3 and October 4. Those concerts featured unique closing songs for that tour. The first night ended with “Spanish Eyes” and the second night ended with “Sweetest Thing”, both b-sides from the original The Joshua Tree album. We don’t have a release date yet but we will let you know as soon as we have anything confirmed."

u2songs | The Crystal Ball: Tour Setup, Singles, Home Video |

longdist01 likes this.
  18. SoundAdvice

5:00 is a teaser sample with some killer crowd shots from Brazil. Note a bearded Daniel Lanois in the bar scenes who may have done some mixing work on the Latin dates that were filmed.

Keep in mind that Paris 2015 and Latin 2017 are almost certainly 4k video. The three 2005-6 concert videos can be released in true HD on blu-ray(one in 3D). Never been able to figure out if Slane was HD or SD.

longdist01 likes this.
  19. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Not your error, of course, but it’s Anton Corbijn.

20. Oatsdad

Circa 1993 videotape sucks, so I don't see what they could do with the visuals.

It'd be good to have on BD for lossless audio, but visually, it's always gonna be ugly!

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  21. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

This really is a tragedy...one of the greatest rock tours of all time, and it looks like an episode of "Full House."

Contrast with INXS, whose manager wisely invested major dollars to capture them on film at their peak:

Dave513 likes this.
  22. SoundAdvice

The recent SD Blu-rays from Bee-Gees and Rolling Stones from 20-30 years ago are all very satisfying presentations. Only when it's heavy blue or red lighting do things get dodgy.

ACDC filmed some shows(79/91/96) and the blu-rays are jaw dropping.

JeffMo likes this.
  23. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

U2 will record final show of the 2018 tour for home video release:

Willie Williams: U2 to record final show of E+I tour
    or
    TPi October 2018 - #230

"As we intend to film the last show in Berlin [13 November 2018], we don't want anything that was in the 2015 show," Williams revealed. "So the band have been shaping up alternative numbers while we're programming. Most bands would do that during their production rehearsal period whereas these guys are happy to carry on."

Not for the first time, one ponders on how U2 could possibly follow this latest tour. Does Williams have anything up his sleeve yet? "Of course... it would be rude not to!" he said, flashing a knowing smile. "There are 3 ideas in the bag. They are now off the tracks in terms of what a band should be doing and that is immensely liberating for all of us."

I guess now it's become apparent why the sudden late tour changes in the setlist. Taking William's comments at face value, that means they still have to dump and/or switch out Vertigo, I Will Follow, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Elevation, Pride, City Of Blinding Lights, Beautiful Day and One, all songs included in the final Paris 2015 show and most of which make up the 2nd half of the show. I can see them dropping a one or two more of the above songs but not anything close to all of them. Gloria and possibly Red Flag Day could be easily slotted in the first set instead of IWF as they have been regular alternates in the first set. I would guess at least The Unforgettable Fire will make it back for the end of the tour and there's been talk The Fly has at least been rehearsed recently which would be a perfect replacement for EBTTRT but I can't see them making any more significant changes in the set at this late stage of the tour without totally trashing the "narrative" they've stuck with for most of the tour.

24. SoundAdvice

Wild Horses is the #1 u2 song with most live performances and no official live release on any platform. Assuming they do right with the JT17 DVD release and bonus features.

Other songs they could easily add to the Berlin show 2018 DVD or bonus features with minimal rehearsal are: Sweetest Thing/Two Hearts/Spanish Eyes/Ordinary Love/Volcano/Gloria

Dave513 likes this.
  25. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

I'd love to see Crystal Ballroom get some live love. Last tour's attempts were....meh.

Will never ever happen of course.

George Co-Stanza, Dave513 and No Bull like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.