U2 October Digipak

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chrischross, Sep 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrischross

chrischross New Member Thread Starter

OK -- this is going to sound like a thread started by KeithH:D, but here goes:

I recently landed the original digipak for U2's October. The disc inside is "Made in U.S.A." and has a release code of DIDY 945. Now, the previous first pressing I landed of October was with a digipak that they had taken the scissors too and put in a regular jewelcase. That disc indicates "Manufactured By Victor Company Of Japan, LTD Made In Japan" is what caught my eye, so I grabbed it, thinking I would pick the digipak up later.

My question is -- isn't the Japan disc the one that should be in the digipak?? There isn't a DIDX or DIDY code to be found on the Made in Japan disc, but my other U2 digipaks are either Made In West Germany (Boy) or Made In Japan (Unforgettable Fire). Made In USA just doesn't make sense!

2. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Well I just pulled out mine, which I got used in San Diego back in '91. To add to the confusion, it's Made in the UK by Nimbus. CID 111 (90092)

PhilBiker likes this.
  3. chrischross

Dugan,

Aha -- so you have the UK digipak, interesting. I've seen the UK CID 111 non-digipak pressed by PDO, and it was getting that bronzed "CD rot" look.

4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I have a Japanese CD in the digipak (Victor Company of Japan - Island 90092-2), and it says "printed in U.S.A." on the outside of the digipak. $6 used.

Regards,
    Geoff

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Chris, I don't have a copy of October in a digipak. Your US pressing is a Columbia House copy, as indicated by the DIDY code. Does the digipak or disc say "CRC" anywhere? I would have expected the CRC version to be in a jewel case.

On a somewhat related note, my digipak copy of Robert Palmer Riptide is a Japanese pressing released through BMG. The disc has the obligatory manufactured for BMG stamp along with the BMG 'D' number, and it says "MANUFACTURED BY VICTORY COMPANY OF JAPAN, LTD. MADE IN JAPAN."

6. mhvbear

mhvbear Senior Member

I have 3 U2 cds in digi-paks all were original purchases when they were first released.

U2 - Boy disc pressed in West Germany by Pologram
    U2 - October pressed in Japan by Victor Company
    U2 - Under A Blood Red Sky pressed in Japan by Sanyo

No sign of cd rot in any of these.

PhilBiker likes this.
  7. chrischross

Sorry to throw confusion out there. The U2 October I spotted with catalog number CID 111 was a non-digipak UK pressing (PDO of course).

Keith -- you're correct, this is the Columbia House version, with the digipak printed in the US (No CRC, but has the full on "Manufactured By Columbia House under license"). Not really the version I was looking for, but I'll be more careful next time.

PhilBiker likes this.
  8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

If anyone cares!

"Boy": Digipak from Columbia House; CD says made in UK (CID 110)

"October": CD made in Japan (90092-2) - Digipak printed in US

"Under a Blood Red Sky" - ditto "October" specs (90127-2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.