U2 'Rattle & Hum' 30th anniversary 2018 'Immersion' set - Wishful thinking

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Dec 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes, it was filmed.
    And probably multitracked as well.

jimhb and EwaWoowa like this.
  2. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I think this album is maligned for no good reason. Movie aside it's great mix of live and studio songs and good stop gap between studio albums. Also, they released 4 fantastic singles from this. Especially with what they put out now for new material (which I have zero interest in as its subpar at best) there is no reason for people to criticize this or POP. I love Pop.

3. Chrisedge

Chrisedge Forum Resident

Well, when they did use my footage in "From the Sky Down" it was about the excess, and backlash to Rattle and Hum, so I guess we are lucky there was a vinyl re-issue. The Blu-Ray is owned by Paramount and came out barebones (and I believe is OOP), so I imagine they do want to leave it behind.

Tuco likes this.
  4. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I'd bet the entire Point Depot NYE show was filmed. Pro shot footage of the first two songs of the show have been floating around for some time:

ARK and longdist01 like this.
  5. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Hey me too-I really like "Discotheque"-it's just fun! Some of the rest on Pop, not so much, but like some of Metallica's oeuvre, I accept it as part of the band's progression. In other words, stuff they do to experiment and not get bored and not make the same album over and over.

ARK likes this.
  6. Chrisedge

Chrisedge Forum Resident

I would still prefer the Denver and Tempe shows, since they were filmed as opposed to video taped. We could actually get BD quality, instead of simply videotape. But they would have to get the negatives from Paramount. (most likely)

JannL and longdist01 like this.
  7. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Loved that concert too, taped it too, always wanted them to release it properly, I know it was part of the big iTunes "box set" but not available on its' own.

8. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I remember I used to have two cassettes, one with all the remixes and B-sides on it and the other with all the unique movie versions of the songs. Played them as much as the original album almost.

zphage and JeffMo like this.
  9. MEMark

MEMark Forum Resident

One of the highlights of those many, many hours!

qtrules likes this.
  10. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

For the life of me, I can't understand why "Rattle & Hum" (film and album) isn't universally loved by U2 fans. I thought it was a fantastic snapshot of the band at that moment. As far as I'm concerned, they were never the same again after that tour. The new songs on the album all sit very comfortably next to the live cuts.

Other than an "Unforgettable Fire" immersion-type box set (with "Wide Awake in America"), a great "Rattle & Hum" reissue is all I need from them at this point.

11. Danderpet

Danderpet Forum Resident

At the time I collected all of the singles off R&H and the "B" sides often eclipsed the album, proper.

The cover of Dancing Barefoot, Halleluja Here She Comes, and A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel, are all great U2.

danielbravo, Man at C&A and Hep Alien like this.
  12. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

These now-standard - special, deluxe, expanded, super-duper, dipped in gold, hardcover book included, 5 discs of demos, 5.1, vinyl kissed by the artist - sets are getting a bit ridiculous, in my opinion.

danielbravo likes this.
  13. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Some are, however if it means an album like R&A that only has the CD issue, getting extra tracks from the same sessions or concerts that the live tracks came from, I am totally down with it

14. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

I'd nominate a radio in-studio cover of Hank Williams' "Lost Highway" from the era for a hidden track or Easter egg.

15. Joe Heimbuch

Joe Heimbuch Forum Resident

I just made a great Blu-Ray rip of the audio. I agree, these versions of the songs are awesome and in some instances better than their CD counterparts ("Desire"). Exit/Gloria is killer. Fantastic stuff. Love this album and would be first in line for a box reissue.

Joe

musicnonstop and Colocally like this.
  16. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I remember this where they got killed by the press. They hated this and U2 after this. To serious, full of themselves and heartfelt. Then U2 reacted and started doing lighter stuff and, to me, lost their way. They should have pulled an AC/DC and said this is what we are. We are not sarcastic or disco or atheistic.

I love this record. Last thing by em i really loved. Every album up to here was great. Then they started listening to critics and trying not to be serious. Be what ya are. I hope for a reissue with b sides. Great b sides up to this album too. Some better than the albums themselves. Rattle and Hum rocks.

Man at C&A and Hep Alien like this.
  17. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Christmas is from the Joshua Tree era.
    Should've been included in those sets.

18. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

At this point I think R&H is the best thing they ever did.
    Really!

Until a true Deluxe set appears you can do worse than having the 2-disc version of Best Of 1980-1990 which has all the R&H b-sides except for the Hollywood remix of Desire.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    BluesOvertookMe and EwaWoowa like this.
  19. y531ly5

y531ly5 Forum Resident

and reissued later in 2006 (256 Kbps)

First of all you need to remember Paramount Pictures keep the movie rights... and the movie was reissue in 2009 in blu ray with remastered audio.
    The audio album was remastered by The Edge in 2017 as part as the "Mastered for iTunes" 2017 digital box set.

I love the idea but as U2 is now a lazy band, a proper Rattle And Hum remastered set will never see the light.

CD1 : Album
    CD2: B-Sides

I would love to have the Lovetown Documentary from Sydney in bluray or at least in DVD...

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. C4rl

C4rl Forum Resident

I’ve been a U2 Fan since almost the beginning; I saved up my dinner money for a week or two and bunked off school to buy War on the day of it release.

It’s a toss up between Rattle & Hum or Pop as which is their worst album in my opinion.

Rattle & Hum album and film were widely panned this side of The Pond. Over here there was a widely held feeling, although not universally held, that after The Unforgettable Fire and especially their Live Aid performance, U2 went off to America immersing themselves in all things Americana. As a result we got The Joshua Tree which received critical acclaim and unimaginable exposure and then came Rattle & Hum. Rattle & Hum was when U2 disappeared up America’s rectum ;) :D

They almost lost me as a fan after that but from the first seconds of Zoo Station on Achtung Baby U2 were back, Achtung Baby was a revelation a real game changer, a return home you could say :righton:

21. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I think the reaction to Rattle and Hum was kind of predictable. They got huge and were very serious not sarcastic. If you get too big you gotta be taken down. After this record they just lost that groove. It led up to this, then they listened to others and questioned themselves. Going all eurodiscoy. Just another pop star after this one.

They kind of became self conscious. Trying so hard to not be serious. Trying to not be what they are. Just disco suits but jeans and t shirts underneath. They lost the rock n roll kind of becoming Elvis after he started making terrible movies. Pop, poppity, pop...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  22. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

The album doesn't really need to be remastered, but I'm sure they will. I've compiled my own deluxe edition from the CD singles I used to own, and ripping the live tracks from the movie that weren't on the album. I doubt Universal would do much better.

Really I'm more interested in an expanded version of the film, with complete video of the Denver and Arizona shows in HD. I think that'd be a lot more exciting to U2 fans than anything they could do with the album (all the R&H b-sides were included on the Best of 80-90 bonus disc, as far as I can tell, so it's not like they were unobtainable on CD for decades).

I watched the blu-ray of R&H before last summer's tour, and...the first half hasn't aged particularly well, but the steady flow of live footage that comprises the last 40 minutes or so is still breathtaking, and I wish we had more of it in that quality.

JannL and zphage like this.
  23. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

I listened to the vinyl copy I bought on the day of release today and it sounds pretty amazing. Hadnt played it for years but this thread moved me to give it a spin.

Haven’t seen the film for years either, but I did see it several times at the cinema. I loved it back then but not a fan now like I was at that time.

24. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

U2.com are doing U2 3-D Danes Mixes 12” single as gift to celebrate Rattle and Hum,
    I wonder if this means we might get Rattle and Hum Box Set this October

U2 3-D Dance Mixes
    This October marks thirty years since the release of RATTLE AND HUM and our 2018 subscriber gift is a celebration of the anniversary.

The limited edition set includes a 12” vinyl record featuring three remixes as well as an exclusive RATTLE AND HUM gatefold poster plus a pair of black and white prints from the period by Anton Corbijn.

The 12” vinyl, inspired by an ultra collectable 1989 promo EP from Island Records, features remixes of three classic tracks from the era - When Love Comes To Town, God Part II and Desire.

The ‘Live From The Kingdom Mix’ of When Love Comes To Town - running to nearly 8 minutes - includes a ‘sermon’ by Little Richard while 'The Hard Metal Dance Club Mix' of God Part II (at almost 7 minutes) samples John Lennon’s voice and includes the recorded words of Martin Luther King. Both of these extended remixes have never previously been commercially available.

RATTLE AND HUM, a double album produced by Jimmy Iovine, was released on October 10th 1988. A companion set to the Phil Joanou-directed film documenting live performances from the 1987 Joshua Tree tour, the 17 album tracks also included new songs recorded at Sun Studios in Memphis in November 1987.

U2 3-D Dance Mixes
    A – When Love Comes To Town (Live From The Kingdom Mix) [Extended Version] – 7:52
    B1 – God Part II (The Hard Metal Dance Club Mix) [Extended Version] – 6:55
    B2 – Desire (Hollywood Remix) – 5:23

25. blueslover99

blueslover99 Forum Resident

I'd buy it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.