U2 - The Joshua Tree vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bjohnsen74, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Thanks, I doubt I would ever part with my original as I do really like it but might pick the reissue up. Truth be told, I have many duplicates of different records and could really sell many of them which I might do someday. For now I'll continue hoarding.

2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Can't blame me for trying. :laugh: Mine's just gathering dust, really, but i haven't found an OP to replace it with unfortunately.

3. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

4. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I still have my US 1987 DMM original as well as the 2007 2 LP remaster and the 2 LP remaster from the massive 2017 box set. Comparing the '07 and '17 releases, my '17 is a significantly better quality (and cleaner) pressing then my '07. The '07 is a good pressing but does display some of the usual issues with GZ pressings of those years (dirty, some minor blems on the vinyl, etc). I don't know who pressed the 2017 vinyl, but it does have CB(?)/SS in the runout. Although the run-out markings are different between the two releases (the '07 has BG initials, the '17 does not), they otherwise appear (and sound like) identical vinyl masters. And the liner notes on the 2017 pressing acknowledge the 2007 remaster is what is sourced for the pressing.

Sonically, I prefer both '07 and '17 remasters to the original '87 vinyl release despite the hassle of the music being spread over 4 sides.

ted321 likes this.
  5. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

Agreed. JT is 55 minutes of music, which way too much for one record. In fact, I dumped all my originals that were remastered and reissued. None of them are sonic treasures but they are definitely superior to the originals.

6. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

The Joshua Tree’s running time is 50 minutes 11 seconds.

It’s true that around 20 minutes or less per LP side is optimal but the idea that classic rock albums roughly as long as The Joshua Tree (for example, Abbey Road, Sticky Fingers, Who’s Next, Highway 61 Revisited) are all a sonically compromised mess is sort of an audiophile scare headline in my opinion. My Masterdisk pressing of The Joshua Tree sounds great, and that includes the final tracks on each side, which have clarity, dynamic range, and bass punch.

7. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I've a few old 25 minuter's that sound good,-with no issues.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  8. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

Yeah. I guess I deserved that. I typed quick and was a bit snippy! All things equal though, wouldn't you expect most 50+ minute albums to sound better if they were cut over 3 or 4 sides instead of two?

Solace and Stone Turntable like this.
  9. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

And just for fun I post this from RTI. The bold type face is theirs not mine.

Recommended Maximum
    Lacquer Cutting Times
    (per side)

Maximum recommended times for 33 1/3 RPM 12" discs is 24 minutes. Optimum time is 16 to 18 minutes*.
    Maximum recommended times for 33 1/3 RPM 12" discs at boosted DANCE LEVELS is 12 minutes. Optimum time is 8 to 10 minutes*.

Maximum recommended times for 45 RPM 12" discs is 12 minutes. Optimum time is 10 minutes*.
    Maximum recommended times for 45 RPM 12" discs at boosted DANCE LEVELS is 9 minutes. Optimum time is 6 to 8 minutes*.

* longer times may require compromise in level and/or equalization.

last update 1-19-2011

Stone Turntable likes this.
  10. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I definitely agree though I think the sonic advantages of short sides are easy to exaggerate (and I've seen a lot of people complain about all the record-flipping and changing you have to do with double LPs). The new fancy-schmancy 180-gram "audiophile" 2-LP standard can be a mixed blessing. And the old-school standard of single LPs for simple A-side and B-side listening has a lit of classic virtues worth compromising a bit to preserve.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    Man at C&A and Diskhound like this.
  11. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Listening to the 2lp reissue, out of this world fantastic! This beats an original and I own both.

Chemguy, Vinyl Socks and JeffMo like this.
  12. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I have been going through the back catalog this past week on the eve of the new tour.

I spun the 2LP reissue over the weekend and turned "Exit" up to 15 on the dial. :cool:

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  13. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

2 LPs are a hassle? Welcome to audiophile remasters of albums first wedge into only 2 sides. At least there is no etching!

Crazy prayingmantis likes this.
  14. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I bought a UK original pressing last year as I didn’t fancy dealing with 2 records for this particular release and whilst it sounds great, the intro to track one has a fair bit of crackle. Can anyone confirm if that’s inherent in the OPs , like The Ninth Wave on Kate Bush’s Hounds of Love, or is it possible to still pick up quiet first pressings?

15. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I have a single LP record club pressing and it sounds really thin. I just ordered the most recent 2LP gold pressing, which I've heard is a big improvement.

16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I don't think the crackle is inherent in all original UK pressings. I haven't had one with it. The issue could be a quite intro and groove cramming on the part of the record most vulnerable to noise. It's so hard to get a good playing original Joshua Tree.

An issue I've picked up on with UK originals is that one of the channels drops out for a couple of seconds at the start of Trip Through Your Wires on some of them. My old copy I played a lot as a teenager didn't. The near mint copy I have now does.

17. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I can't speak for the Club pressings but I would not say the 2lp reissue blows away the original pressing. It's pretty close in my mind.

18. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I'm listening to the gold vinyl reissue, and while it's definitely an improvement over the club pressing I have, it's not blowing me away. I was definitely more impressed with the Achtung Baby and Zooropa vinyl reissues.

Jam757 likes this.
  19. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

Consequently, my record club pressing of Rattle and Hum sounds great.

20. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Those are both excellent and the War reissue is spectacular as well.

jason202 likes this.
  21. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

I'm telling ya'll: if it is good sound you want for the Joshua Tree reissue, grab the 2016 or 2017 reissue that's cut by CB/BG and not pressed at GZ. It's on-par with the Zooropa and AB reissues.

jimhb and via_atx like this.
  22. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

The gold vinyl has "CB/ SS". Did he do several cuts???

GentleSenator likes this.
  23. Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac Zooropa... better by design

The 2017 is so quiet and deep, the bass is booming. It’s almost perfectly pressed, and I have originals from Canada, US, UK, Japan, German, Australia you name it, even test pressings. The others are for collecting but my 2017 is for playing.

Chemguy likes this.
  24. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I have the 30th Anniversary 7 LP set and all the LPs are dead quiet and sound great. Well worth the money.

jimhb likes this.
  25. Mr Day

Mr Day Hater of Fools

Yes I’ve got this and love it.

I’m not even a big U2 fan