UFC: McGregor vs. Nurmagomedov

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by townsend, Oct 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. townsend

townsend Senior Member Thread Starter

Are any interested in the outcome of this UFC fight tonight? It is being promoted as the biggest fight in UFC history.

It is a classic case of a great striker (McGregor) vs. a great wrestler (Nurmagomedov).

I think either fighter could win, but I believe Nurmagomedov will win. Here's why.

McGregor is an outstanding striker; I believe he actually trained to be a boxer [he began boxing at age 12]). He has a long reach (74"), is very accurate, and has power in both hands. It should also be noted that he has developed a very effective kicking game. The best kicker in the UFC is Edson Barbosa. But McGregor is very effective with kicks as well. McGregor's chance of winning depends on him catching Khabib when he comes in. And Conor can knock out or at least disable many fighters with his striking.

Khabib isn't just the best wrestler in the UFC. I'm not sure how it all fits together, but he is Sambo expert to boot. On the ground, he is a monster. In fact, he has taken the "ground-and-pound" tactic to a new height. He often gets the opponent down, and that's pretty much it -- it is very difficult to escape. Khabib is good at submission holds as well (e.g., kimura), but he doesn't have to submit the opponent with a hold -- he can just brutalize them so bad by "ground and pound" that the referee stops the fight.

Conor had some problems with Chad Mendes, who is a wrestler. When Mendes took Conor down, Mendes was able to control the fight and did some real damage. Late in that fight, however, Mendes shifted from "ground and pound" to try to get a submission (choke hold), and during that transition -- in an instance -- Conor escaped, then came up swinging and ended the fight.

Of course, if Conor catches Khabib coming in, it could all be over. But I'm still taking Khabib (though I can't spell his last name without looking at it).

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  2. Django

Django Forum Resident

Been following it on YouTube. I'd love to see him win of course .... but I'm not sure he can handle Khabib. That guy is really tough, vicious.
    McGregor does great press conferences though. They were the best thing about the Mayweather fight.
    Although I think he overstepped the mark recently. It all got a bit too nasty.

3. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I'm interested but I ain't buyin' it!;) That said, Conor hasn't fought in 2 yrs, and his last fight was more circus than competition. But he's got what he's always had, a punchers chance. Khabib is what, 26-0? One of the longest undefeated runs in UFC history! Tellyawhat, Khabib BETTER take him out, he don't want to leave this one up to the judges!

4. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain

Would love to see Khabib pull off the upset, somebody needs to shut McGregor up I'm so sick and tired of his shenanigans. The Ferguson Pettis fight ought to be good as well. Karate hottie is on the card too, should be an interesting night.

5. Cupids_bow

Conor has lightning in his left hand, he loves to counter with it particularly with an orthodox fighter throwing a right. It's actually a thing of beauty when he slips and counters. That said the biggest hole in his game is the ground. If Khabib can take him down or keep him against the cage he should win.

townsend likes this.
  6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I remember the days of the master Royce Gracie -- the human anaconda.

Cupids_bow likes this.
  7. Cupids_bow

Royce is the man, a living legend. Although I’m not a big fan of the Gracie schools or their curriculum, but that’s just me.

Ghostworld likes this.
  8. townsend

Here you, a free "old" fight (courtesy of UFC), Edson Barboza vs. Khabib N.....:

Barboza was the 4th ranked light weight in the world (19-4 record, as Adam Sandler would say "no too shabby"). This is just a brutal beat down by Khabib on Edson. Edson looks like he needs a "life transfusion" toward the end of the fight. He looks totally exhausted, being destroyed both mentally and physically by Khabib. Of course, Conor is a much better striker than Edson, but the point is that Khabib takes good, solid and even ranked fighters and just destroys them. Joe Rogan said on one of his talk shows that in training, Khabib never loses a round. And he will fight one guy for awhile, and then when that guy is exhausted, then bring another fresh guy in, and Khabib just keeps on motoring on.

9. PhilJol

PhilJol Forum Resident

Conor was on Conan recently and I thought he seemed nervous. It probably means nothing and could be in my head...

10. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Conor McGregor got crushed!

11. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Conor seriously needs to work on his ground game.

12. Cupids_bow

Great night of fights regardless of the post fight shenanigans.

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Thanks for drifting the camera up to the ceiling during the brawl. Whatsmatter? Didn't want to show violence? Geeze.

Royce Gracie would have killed either of these guys. Sloppy grappling. You made one wrong move with Royce Gracie and your arm was ready to come out of the socket.

14. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Although CM may have done enough to win rd. 3, for all intents and purposes, he was pretty much outta gas by the 2nd round. Here's the thing, the SAME thing happened when he 'fought' Mayweather 2 yrs ago. Conor McGregor looks like a shell of the fighter he used to be. He's lost the eye of the tiger! His behavior has become increasingly erratic and rumors are there's a substance abuse problem. He's still got a big mouth though, which directly caused that disgraceful melee after the fight. There'll be a rematch, he'll make a gazillion bucks, but I think Khabib'll be too much for him. He'll be following Rhonda Rousey to the UFC retirement home known as the WWE!! BTW, Khabib's purse is being held, title may be stripped, his visa may be revoked. When CM attacked the bus, resulting in a fighter with glass slivers in his cornea, his primary 'punishment' was to be given this title fight! Double standard's? Ya think!?;)

15. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

Fascinating aftermath to say the least

16. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I just watched the fight on Youtube, Khabib destroyed/owned Connor on the ground and held his own standing, it wasn't even close.

18. teodoro

teodoro Forum Resident

No he wouldn't: he has come back and lost as well. The reason being that everybody caught up with some jiu-jitsu: everyone knows at lest the basics now...

You read that correctly: Royce won cause people had no clue what was his art and how you defend it...

As for the fight, a number of people knew the odds were against Connor last night... also, Kabhib did not pull an upset: he was the champion and the betting favourite (as he was 26-0) while Connor has been defeated twice now (Maywheather and Nick Diaz)... Plus some losses in his early days...

He was going up against a guy that NEVER lost (now let that sink in)...

19. townsend

Regarding the previous post, teodoro is correctamundo. In fact, today in the UFC, the very best jiu-jitsu fighters simply do not dominate. The best Brazilian jiu-jitsu fighter currently in the UFC is Demian Maia, and though his striking has vastly improved, he can struggle in the octagon if he doesn't get the other fighter on the ground. He has never held a belt, and is now in the twilight of his career (and he is a fine person to boot).

That is the whole point of mixed martial arts -- a successful fighter needs to be versatile. And wrestling will always be the foundational skill.

I think Khabib's post fight shenanigans are ridiculous, but I agree -- no more ridiculous than Conor leading an assault on the bus. If any attack was unprovoked, it was the one instigated by Conor.

Edit: now that I think about it, Charles Oliveira also deserves mention as a fine jiu-jitsu fighter in the UFC.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    teodoro likes this.
  20. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

I think the aftermath showed the true classiness (or lack of) regarding the UFC. A shame...

unclefred and Nomadicarchivist like this.
  21. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

It’s the circus and the new WWE.. Sadly, they will take their “shame” all the way to the bank..

Macman and Gill-man like this.
  22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It has less to do with the technique than the FIGHTER. Royce Gracie was the kind of madman whose head you could put in a metal vice and he still wouldnt tap out. That's why he won.

I saw so many weak openings in the McGreggor fight that Gracie would have taken advantage of and broken their arm in two minutes.

Would he come back and lose at age 50? Who wouldn't?

23. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

One of Royce Gracies' toughest ever fights just because his Japanese opponent, Hidehiko Yoshida, is another monster at taking abuse. The beating that poor guy takes. Interesting because he fights a leg-pin fight like Khabbib.

I also like the old fights with NO TIME LIMITS. No rounds or breaks.

25. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Connor not pressing any charges

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.