UK Mono version of Satanic-Stones question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thebeatles67, Apr 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

Hi all,

Would like clarificaton on the MONO versions of Satanic. Several lenghty threads on this LP but I didn't see a definitive answer.

Question#1
    Is the UK Decca LP mono a true mono mix or fold down?

Question#2
    Does the US mono present anything different than the UK?

Thanks.

2. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Both the US and UK mono pressings are real mono mixes, but they are very subtly different from the stereo mixes.

3. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips

I know they are true mono mixes but I have not had a mono US one in a long time to compare to the UK one, which I've had recently.

4. tages

tages Senior Member

I have both and concluded the UK is a fold-down.

The US is a dedicated (and at times, quite different) mix.

The UK "Past Darkly" LP uses true mono mixes of "She's A Rainbow" and "2,000 Light Years".

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  5. I agree about the UK being a fold-down, and the US being a dedicated mix.

6. mrgroove01

So let me get this straight. The LP was recorded and released in the UK in late 1967 but didn't get a true mono mix in its native country (where mono was still the norm), but got a true mono mix in the US which was phasing out mono at the time of it's release?

Raving Russell likes this.
  7. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

Mr Groove--that is exactly what I was pondering--if true--how in the world did it happen? I just won a light blue Decca mono label from the UK -cant wait to compare it to a US one--to those that know here--- please point specifically what to look for between the two. Thanks.

8. There's some good threads about this topic in the archive. At first, I thought the US was a fold-down, but thanks to info in those threads I changed my mind :)

I do agree that it's really odd that the US is dedicated and the UK isn't.

9. mrgroove01

If you could let me know what you discover when you get it, I'd really appreciate it. I don't have either at present.

10. mrgroove01

I looked through the archives and came away with the info that Mick and Keith came to NY in late 1967 to do an alternate mix, presumably mono for the US. What I really don't get is how does that preclude a dedicated mono UK mix having been completed and released as well. Perhaps they didn't care for it that much and brought the tapes to the US to do a better job? Again, mono was so common in the UK you'd have to think it would have gotten done. I mean the album was not all that well received in the UK and perhaps Mick and Keith thought that a new mix would bode well for the US release. Maybe?

11. ericc2000

ericc2000 Forum Resident

On the mono mix of "The Lantern" there's 3 gongs of the bell before the music starts, while the stereo has only two.

Classicolin and GV1967 like this.
  12. ottoman79

ottoman79 Forum Resident

+1 :righton:

13. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

There were a number of London US mono mixes pressed sometime in the late 70's or early 80's by mistake. They have the London STEREOPHONIC label but they are definitely the mono mix. I found one back in 1986 for $3. I remember being disappointed at the time that it was in mono but now I'm very glad I to have it.

14. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

I just got a light blue UK mono this past weekend and my impression is it is not a folddown. Having been familiar with the stereo mix as it's all I've ever heard, this record sounded very different to me. Especially the drums. Heard things I've never, ever heard before. Huge, deep bass...

Please don't be a buzzkill... :(

15. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

"There were a number of London US mono mixes pressed sometime in the late 70's or early 80's by mistake. They have the London STEREOPHONIC label but they are definitely the mono mix."

Mike - Would you mind publishing the matrix number from your disc, so I know what to look for?

Thanks -

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonstrangedays.com

16. MikeP5877

side 1 - NPS-2A-1-1-1 ARL-812-6-1C

side 2 - NPS-2B-1-1-1 ARL-812-7-1C

The deadwax on side 2 is very narrow so the info is nearly impossible to read. It's in very small handwriting - twice.

17. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

Thanks!

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonstrangedays.com

18. ericc2000

ericc2000 Forum Resident

Yep, that's when I bought mine.

19. Gang Twanger

Gang Twanger New Member

Besides the earlier "Digitally-Remastered From Original Master Recordings" CD (it says this in red letters across the bottom of the insert cover), the only copy (of "Satanic") I have is an original US stereo LP.

I've heard a few samples of the mono version before, and I prefer the stereo mix. Just like the White Album, I really think "Satanic" needs to be in stereo.

mooseman likes this.
  20. Notes taken, thanks for this, Mike! And just what is the color of that label? This would help me zero in on it.

21. ericc2000

ericc2000 Forum Resident

Here's some pictures from my copy that has the same matrix codes as above. The label say "Stereophonic" but it's actually the dedicated mono mix.

Attached Files:

22. MikeP5877

Yep, that picture matches mine. :thumbsup:

23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I've got one of these as well. I seem to recall that it sounds pretty good.

24. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Anybody have any extras?

Please PM me if you have a spare...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.