UK Mono version of Satanic-Stones question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thebeatles67, Apr 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peter

peter Senior Member

Lots of previous threads on this. I will leave it wiser minds to determine if the UK mono is a fold down or not. However, I will confirm that it sounds awful, flat & lifeless. The US mono, like the CDN. mono (both of which I have) sound fantastic, loud and punchy.

I can also confirm that there was indeed a U.S. MONO mis-press of Satanic in the 80's (judging from the label & vinyl weight) that sounds amazing. I had one but sold it here.

So, there you have my probably less than 2 cents.

2. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

What would be the going rate on this?

3. peter

peter Senior Member

I sold my mono mis press, which was a US copy, in NM shape for $100.00.

OTOH, just after I read here, about 2-3 years ago about the UK being a foldie, I travelled to Vancouver (my hometown) and picked up a minty CDN. mono, with a perfect unsplit red/white inner for $35.00 CDN. Unbelievable. Sitting right in the racks.

4. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Ug...

I used to have one...picked up my UK and sold the Canadian...

Oh well..

5. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

First off--thanks to all responses. Secondly what a maze of answers. Some believe the UK mono is true mono ---some believe its a foldown--some like the sound of the UK--some like the sound of the US---

All of which brought me to try to get clarification -------I'm definitely no expert on this one so I'm interested in as many stories and opinions of this as possible. How many of you actually own the UK or USA mono vinyl- Thanks.

6. ericc2000

ericc2000 Forum Resident

See my post #11. The USA mono is a dedicated mix. I haven't heard the UK mono, so I don't know about that one.

7. peter

peter Senior Member

I own all three: UK; US and CDN. The US and CDN. sound the same to me, more or less - but the UK is an atrocity. Unlistenable. No bass at all. Flat. Dull. Lifeless.

8. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

I've wondered about this for a long time. The US mono does indeed sound great--loud and punchy with plenty of bass--but there are artifacts in some of the tracks that make me think the US mono is also folded down.

The main one is the sound of the horns in "Citadel" -- in the stereo mix, they are mixed in kind of low, but they are still clear and distinct. In the mono mix they get buried and unless you'd already heard the stereo mix, you might not even know there were horns in the song. The way those horns get buried sounds very 'fold down' to me.

Dale

9. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

If you want a good CD version of this get the London. Apparently it is Steve's prefered version, and it indeed sounds great.

All Down The Line likes this.
  10. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Citadel is a different mix - there's also a whole other guitar part that's buried in there as well that I didn't really hear until I heard the stereo mix. Yet when I fold the stereo mix down, I can hear that guitar.

Also, as pointed out earlier - "The Lantern" is the easiest way to tell.

Three gongs - mono
    Two goings - stereo

"She's a Rainbow" is also distinctly different, especially at the end of the song.

11. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Sorry, one correction - It's not another guitar part, it's the aforementioned horns. They are buried way deep in the mono mix. When I fold the stereo down to mono, I can hear them better, though they are somewhat buried as well.

A more obvious distinction between the two mixes is Mick's voice - in the stereo mix, his voice is panned far left. If you fold the stereo mix down, his voice is way deep in the mix. In the true mono mix, his voice is much more up front.

I'll try to post samples sometime over the weekend.

12. ericc2000

ericc2000 Forum Resident

Thank You! I was beginning to wonder if my post #11 could be seen by anybody but me.

13. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

Here are my versions
    US mono The Lantern has three bell "gongs"
    ARL 8126-1G
    ARL 8127-1G

Rolling Stone Her Majestic US mono label.jpg

US stereo The Lantern has two bell "gongs"
    ZAL 8126-1C
    ZAL 8127-1B

Rolling Stone Her Majestic US stereo label.jpg

I don't know if this helps or ads to the confusion.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  14. ericc2000

ericc2000 Forum Resident

You are correct sir!

15. prof. stoned

prof. stoned Forum Member

16. xios

xios Senior Member

Also- on 2000 Light Years, the stereo and UK mono have a drop out during the instrumental break. The US mono has no drop out.

17. jimmyc

jimmyc Forum Resident

My copy of "Flowers," that I bought at Sound Shop in the early 80s, was also mono (and sounded fantastic), although the label stated stereophonic. The label style is exactly the same as the "Satanic Majesties" mono 80s mispress shown above.

18. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

The US red London is dedicated mono. The first time I heard a US Stereo pressing on headphones, I knew within 5 seconds of the opening track that it was a completely different mix, as I grew up with the mono.

Look for a handetched 1a/1a pressing. Just make sure you bring your wallet!

Wouldn't it be a lot more likely that the mispresed, later Blue Londons are fold downs. Same with Yesterday and Today, and Beatles 65. I mean it seams more likley that someone accidentally left the mono switch on when doing the recuts than grabing a mono tape, doesn't it. Not making a statement, just posing a question.

C

19. ericc2000

ericc2000 Forum Resident

No, the mispressed Satanic Majesties Londons are dedicated mono mixes.

20. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I had one too, but I recall it being an earlier pressing, dark blue label, hard vinyl. Found it used in the early 1980s.

21. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

The digi-pack b**t of TSMR that came out a few years ago, advertised as the UK mono (TXL 103) is actually the US mono mix (checked last night - hast the two gongs before The Lantern).

22. gilbert green

gilbert green Forum Resident

If the UK press is a fold, it would be the ONLY one released in England in '67. Highly improbable.

23. ericc2000

ericc2000 Forum Resident

That's the folded version. The dedicated mono mix has three gongs.

24. jimmyc

jimmyc Forum Resident

The mono copy I bought of "Flowers" in 1983 with the stereophonic labels was new.

25. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Looks like they made the same mistake twice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.