UK Mono version of Satanic-Stones question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thebeatles67, Apr 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ivan200000

ivan200000 New Member

It is in fact the disguised mono, and I really like it. It's interesting after having heard only the stereo mix for all these years..

2. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

My light blue labelled UK Decca, which sounds fantastic is..

Side 1 ARL-8126-1P
    Side 2 ARL-8127-P1

there are many subtle differences to my stereo versions, sounds like
    a true Mono to me.

3. LFSDoc

LFSDoc time has told me not to ask for more

as already established in this very thread, you've got the true mono mix, lucky you :righton:
    doc

4. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

I would just like to revive this thread to thank everyone for their input.
    Thanks to the information here, I am now the proud owner of a 1P/P1 UK unboxed Decca mono TSMR. Man, this thing sounds great!

I would like to mention a couple of things. One is that the label on my copy matches that of the third pressing mentioned here:
    http://http://stonesondecca.com/4A10_Satanic.html, ie it has the sans serif typeface with Bill Wyman's name the same size as "The Rolling Stones." So perhaps the true mono was issued after the fold.

The other thing is that at least one early Australian mono pressing is a fold-down. I asked an ebay seller for the matrix numbers on an Oz pressing she was selling, and the numbers were:

Side 1:
    ARL-8126-T2-3K

Side 2:
    ARL-8127-T2-2K

...which I believe corresponds to those of the fold-down mentioned earlier in this thread. This is a shame, since often Australian pressings are an inexpensive way to pick up good quality pressings of albums of this era, because they often used the UK stampers (I recently picked up an Oz pressing of Between the Buttons made from the UK stampers, and it sounds fantastic).
    Thanks again. On with the show, good health to you :cheers:

All Down The Line and musicore77 like this.
  5. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident

I would like to be the 5th or 6th person now to revive this thread.

Are the original US & Canadian mono pressings identical/same stampers? The Canadian red label London mono copies generally seem to command less $$ than the US counterparts, and I have a line on a reasonably-priced Canadian ffrr London copy.

6. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident

and aside from my Canadian/US mono question above, for what possible reason didn't they include "Dandelion" and "We Love You" on this album? From what I understand, these were recorded during the Satanic sessions, and it seems strange that they would opt to issue these on a 45 but keep them off the LP. If they would have added these two in lieu of the part 2 abortion of "Sing This All Together" or perhaps "Gomper," it could have been an amazing LP.

boggs likes this.
  7. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident

Anyone? I'm not a big Rolling Stones album, but I really like this record.

All Down The Line likes this.
  8. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident

Last attempt at bumpmanship: US & Canadian NP-2 mono...same? Not same?

9. In the UK, albums of that era often times left singles off (using The Stones as examples, Jumpin' Jack Flash, Honkey Tonk Women and Paint It Black also weren't on non-greatest hits/compilation albums). SATANIC was the first Stones LP where the USA song line-up matched the UK, hence no UK 45s were on either the US or UK LP.

Good luck on your Canadian mono question, I doubt that there are a lot of members here who have both a USA mono and a Canadian mono to compare.

10. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

The US pressings do not have the same UK 1P/P1 stampers. I am pretty sure the Canadians do not either. (I recall having or examining one or two and the matrix did not stick out as that UK one). There are several US masterings. Nonetheless they are true mono and sound great.

Mylene likes this.
  11. DonnieT

DonnieT Forum Resident

My Canadian mono has silence in between the sound effects at the start of She's A Rainbow and the opening piano riff. There is another section of silence after She's A Rainbow and the bells that start The Lantern. This is not the case on my US mono copy where these run right into each other.

12. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Shes A Rainbow/2000 Light Years From Home and In Another Land (by Bill)/ The Lantern were issued in the States - there were no UK singles issued that were also on the album.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  13. Right, that's what I said, no UK 45's were on either the US or UK LP. :)

Easy-E likes this.
  14. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident

Thanks for your replies. I recently picked up a Canadian mono (true mono; "Rainbow" silence just as DonnieT mentions) and it sounds great. I was just curious if there's a big difference between the US & Canadian monos, but it appears not.

I bought my Canadian copy on a hunch that the guy's "VG" grade was a non-collector's assessment, and I was spot-on: this thing is in glossy, played-once condition. The downside is that the seller, not being a record person, simply dropped it into one of those thin plastic baggy CanadaPost mailers with no cardboard or other packing protection, and it arrived here from Canada with a big gash in the upper corner of the cover. Such is life. At least it was the corner, and the record didn't break.

DonnieT likes this.
  15. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I know that there were earlier threads about this before and it was concluded that there were different UK Decca pressings with some being true mono and other pressings been fold down mixes.

16. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Did you send the guy a message complaining that he screwed up?

I have the Canadian mono as well but not in that great condition. I've always wondered why there are spaces between the tracks too. Never knew the US mono had the tracks running into one another. I must get one of those sometime.

17. corpblues

corpblues New Member

I think I unknowingly picked up one of these today for $9.99. The cover is damaged as it appears it got wet once, but the vinyl is in very good condition. I can't find a matching picture of the label and matix on disogs.com. It is a blue london label that has side 1 / side 1, not front side / back side. And it has 3 gongs on latern. This is anything special? Worth more that the $9.99 I spent on it?

18. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident

Congratulations on your good fortune. I had a 1-play copy of this for years that I put on eBay a while back; it went for over $150 which was much more than I'd expected. It was a 1980s-type thin vinyl record, but it sounded identical to my red label mono original. I probably still have the eBay photos buried somewhere on my laptop, though as above, there is almost no dead wax on side 2 and the matrix numbers are scratched out and essentially illegible. I'm not a big Rolling Stones fan but I love this unlikely record--particularly in mono--with the eerie darkness juxtaposed with the "summer of love" psychedelia.

All Down The Line likes this.
  19. Imaxadco

Imaxadco Forum Resident

I have also this version and it sounds very sharp and dynamic. Quite beautiful actually.

20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I concur also! Very good sound in QS matrix mode on this track.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.