UK Number One Singles Of 1969. Pick Your Favourites.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Nov 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I like less of these, than the 1968 list - a sum total of 4 I didn't pick, this time! :D And The Scaffold still haunts me... :shake: Again, I have the vast majority on 45 (even In The Year 2525, that I didn't choose from the list and always wonder if they made it sound that murky on purpose??) The other two I didn't choose is the Bobbie Gentry - not even heard it to my knowledge. So picking it would make no sense and Rolf; I do have that single but only because it was the #1 the week I was born, keeps it in my collection. I can't see me ever playing it again.

Top favourites are Something In The Air (I have the TN album Hollywood Dream and IMO it's one of the best from 1969 and there was a load of great albums in that year.) I Heard It Through The Grapevine could be my favourite Motown single of all - either that or Tears Of A Clown. There would be a lot in joint third place, but Bad Moon Rising is very hard to beat as a classic song from that year.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Think Marmalade's version is a tad poppier. Public seemed to like it.
    They were a bit more cutting edge in 1967( hint, hint :)) with I See The Rain ..a Jimi Hendrix fave.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Done! Actually rather easy...

4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes, I noticed earlier today you'd taken the plunge.

Now all we have to do is get you up and running re posting photos here.

5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I really want to get that sorted. The photo is my 1963 Dansette Major playing Man at C&A from More Specials. I love that record player.

6. Bobby Morrow

I was going to ask if that was your player.

I have a late 60s/early 70s Fidelity model that looks similar to that. I bought it off eBay a couple of years ago.

Man at C&A likes this.
  7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I got it from a car boot sale for £10 about 4 years ago. Was very happy when I got it home and it worked perfectly. It's my late night record player. Sounds OK, doesn't damage vinyl or annoy neighbours!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

[​IMG]

This was my childhood record player, though my turntable was black. This model was dead common in the 70s. I loved it. I've often thought of picking a reconditioned one up for nostalgic reasons.

OneStepBeyond, alexpop and Man at C&A like this.
  9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

60s and 70s record players always look great! So much charm.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

I agree. I bought a £120 Denon turntable up for my system a couple of years ago. It's a real piece of s**t.

Man at C&A likes this.
  11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That's a shame. Sadly there seems to be a gap in the market for affordable and good sounding turntables. It seems to jump from plastic crap to turntables that cost £100s with not much in between.

12. Bobby Morrow

I know £120 is budget nowadays, but it's so flimsy..

13. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Only 2 there I didn't really like Bob, Bobbie Gentry and Marmalade. I think I own the rest. In fact, I DO own the rest!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

My main turntable is a Technics SL-2000 from around 1977. It's not regarded as anything special on this forum and I think it was affordable in it's day if not budget. I like it a lot. It has an Audio Technica AT-13ea cartridge on it, which I think is highly regarded and helps the sound a lot. Obviously it doesn't compare to very expensive systems I can't afford but it sounds impressive and looks good. It's good on old 45s which matters a lot!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  15. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I didn't even look at this thread initially as I didn't really get into music until 1970 and T.Rex.
    However there are a few songs here that I really like
    Albatross
    Paradise
    In the year 2525
    I'll never fall in love again
    Sugar sugar
    Two little Boys

And actually some of the others aren't bad, but these are my faves.

Man at C&A likes this.
  16. Bobby Morrow

Happy to bring a smile to your face at last.:D

Andy Smith likes this.
  17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Hearing and seeing T-Rex as it all happened must have been special. I love them and I wasn't born until 1974.

bob60 likes this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

Ive done polls f0r 1967 and 1968 too. I bet you'd be surprised how many of those you'll know and like.

All those Radio 1 Golden Years sunk in.:D

19. Bobby Morrow

T Rex practically owned 1971.

cmcintyre, bob60 and Man at C&A like this.
  20. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

That record player looks brilliant.

21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's great isn't it? Doesn't sound as good as it looks but it's OK. Luckily the arm doesn't weigh a lot. It's still has the original Dansette tag attached with string to the handle. The light up Dansette logo on the front is a nice unusual touch too.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  22. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I had something fairly similar to this but I think smaller and more plasticky (we were poor lol)
    I seem to remember some of them had speakers in the lid.

What I can never understand, and I don't want to derail this thread (as if :D) is that my glam rock records sounded fantastic on these cheap little systems, and yet audiophiles complain about the sound of fantastic systems...

Man at C&A and Bobby Morrow like this.
  23. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Now now...be nice. Remember, I don't judge your O.N.J fixation and you don't pick on me for insisting nothing of note happened musically after the 4th Def Leppard album....

24. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

You know what, I like some singles from the later 60's but I was never into the bands, Beatles, Stones, Who, Kinks etc

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  25. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Ah really? Maybe I should delete my above post about the sound on my old record player as I may be remembering things through rose tinted specs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.