UK Star Wars Laserdisc Question...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Apollo C. Vermouth, Nov 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident Thread Starter

For those members "Across The Pond" Are the original release UK Laserdiscs in Widescreen format? This is the original and not the altered versions or 1997 releases. And does it say on the back of the covers for the discs that it is letterbox? I've seen a few UK auctions but it doesn't say anything about the Laserdiscs being in Widescreen format. Thanks for any members in the UK that might be able to help out. I'd like to get a set from the UK to compare them to the original US releases in Widescreen and see if there is a noticeable difference between the prints used. I don't think that Disney has any intentions on releasing the original versions of the movies anytime soon. I could be wrong...but Disney was one of THE most difficult companies to deal with when I used to run a video store. Every year they would put a title on moratorium and then a few years later it was re-release with a better version which they usually weren't. And don't even get me started on the fact that the macrovision that they used on their tapes literally DISTORTED the quality of the movies. And I'm not talking about copying the tapes...I'm talking about the original cassettes they would release. Had lots of problems selling brand new Disney movies to customers...never even opened tapes. Just a nightmare.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  2. Apollo C. Vermouth

No laserdisc owners across the pond? Any info is gladly appreciated.

3. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

Hi Apollo

I used to have the 1993 SW Trilogy Definitive Edition laser disc boxset and from memory they were all in letterbox format.

4. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I think we can assume the 1995 UK LaserDisc were Widescreen and respected the 2.35:1 aspect ratio as the Spanish 1995 Laserdisc were Widescreen 2.35:1 Pal, and all Pal LaserDiscs released in 1995 were sourced from the same master, only changing the languaje audio track.

5. Apollo C. Vermouth

This is one of the LD's I was talking about...they are pre-remaster from 93/94

[​IMG]

I hope the picture shows up in this thread.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It usually says "Letterboxed" on the front cover for those laserdiscs that were in that format.

I believe the early-1990s version was mastered by Lou Levinson at Modern Videofilm. They did both 2.40 letterboxed versions and 1.33 pan/scan versions, all to digital standard-def. They also did additional passes for 25fps PAL countries, so that was essentially the same color but going 4.1% faster in speed.

7. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

8. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

9. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

LaserDisc Database - Star Wars: El imperio contraataca [00601]

That's listed here too. I don't doubt it. The UK was like Australia with Laserdisc, by the early-mid 1990s players were imported or NTSC with PAL playback. So people would have just imported the US discs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.