Ultimate Classic Rock's Top 10 Rolling Stones songs with Mick Taylor

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Dec 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor Thread Starter

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/mick-taylor-rolling-stones-songs/

What say you fellow forum members? Agree or disagree?

1. Sway
    2. Time Waits For No One
    3. Moonlight Mile
    4. Can't You Hear Me Knocking
    5. Bitch
    6. Rocks Off
    7. Honky Tonk Women
    8. Brown Sugar
    9. Tumbling Dice
    10. Winter

Pretty good - I would probably try to work in Jiving Sister Fanny, All Down The Line and Heartbreaker and maybe Hide Your Love because of the sweet solo.

dee, MrBigShow, Fullbug and 6 others like this.
  2. John Fell

3. Doctor Jimmy

Doctor Jimmy From Bach to the Beach Boys

Winter has one of the greatest solos ever recorded.

4. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

It's a pretty good list, although I've chosen slightly differently. I notice a couple of songs on it feature Mick playing mostly rhythm. I've gone for a few where he plays mostly lead. While he's certainly no slouch playing rhythm, it's not really the side of his playing that immediately comes to mind. Especially if it's a 10 best Mick Taylor Stones songs list.

So mine is...

1. Moonlight Mile
    2. Sway
    3. Can't You Hear Me Knocking
    4. Time Waits For No One
    5. Winter
    6. All Down The Line
    7. Shine A Light
    8. Dead Flowers
    9. 100 Years Ago
    10. Hide Your Love
    (I had to include this one...it's got a really cool groove and those two hip-shakin' Mick T solos are awesome)

5. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

offED topic:

A little help BIG time please. i don't know for sure what 'Stones' songs Taylor plays lead on or even what parts he doesn't play. Is there a link for such info???

Like "Gimmie Shelter"; what's Mick?!?!
    [i'd guess all the 'sweet' parts/butt i'm only guessing]

BIG thanks.

6. John Fell

Big Ed the list they chose which I copied on my initial post does not include all songs where Mick Taylor played lead. Some on their list he played rhythm or even bass guitar. I am on break at work for a moment so it would take some time to compile a list.
    However, I can tell you that Honky Tonk Women and Live With Me are the only tracks on the Let It Bleed album that feature Mick Taylor. Gimme Shelter is Keith on the guitar.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
    BIG ED likes this.
  7. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

offED topic a bit:
    That reminds me of a 'Best Rock Guitarist' list i saw in the seventies where some mag named Harrison & for one of the reasons stated: "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"?!?!
    [i think another tune was "Revolution"/which if i remember was the single B-Side version/both play on it butt too me it's Lennon in the lead]

Mick doesn't play a lick on 'Gimmie'?!?!
    [GREAT bass line on that too!!]

John Fell likes this.
  8. John Fell

Big Ed - Here are the song credits/

Let It Bleed - Mick Taylorslide guitar on "Country Honk"; guitars on "Live with Me"

Sticky Fingers: Mick Taylor – lead guitar; acoustic guitar on "Wild Horses"; rhythm guitar on the first part of "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" and "Bitch"; slide guitar on "Sway" and "You Gotta Move"; lead guitar on "Dead Flowers" "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" "Moonlight Mile" "Sway" (not present during "Sister Morphine" sessions)

Exile On Main Street: Mick Taylor – guitars, slide guitar; bass guitar on "Tumbling Dice", "Torn and Frayed", "I Just Want to See His Face" and "Shine a Light"

Goats Head Soup Mick Taylor – electric, acoustic and slide guitar, backing vocals; bass guitar on "Dancing with Mr. D" and "Coming Down Again

It's Only Rock 'N' Roll - electric, acoustic, twelve–string acoustic and slide guitar, backing vocals; synthesizer on "Time Waits for No One", congas on "Dance Little Sister"; bass guitar on "Fingerprint File"

Tattoo You - Mick Taylor – electric guitar on "Tops" and "Waiting on a Friend" (1972)

This might help you some.

BIG ED, Dave Hoos and Zeki like this.
  9. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I like "Sway", but #1? That's overrating it a bit.

10. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Heartbreaker should've made the list, IMO. Otherwise very good. I totally agree with Sway at #1.

duggan, Dave Hoos and John Fell like this.
  11. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Its a good list, I think one can make an argument for adding songs rather than eliminating any.

All Down The Line

Ventilator Blues ( songwriting credit- sweet guitar solo outro)

John Fell likes this.
  12. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Love in Vain from Ya Ya's

Dave Hoos, Black Widow and John Fell like this.
  13. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

The live version of Gimme Shelter, and Love In Vain.

Dave Hoos and John Fell like this.
  14. John Fell

The live version of You Can't Always Get What You Want from the Ladies And Gentlemen The Rolling Stones dvd is also pretty awesome.

Fullbug and Dave Hoos like this.
  15. Black Widow

Black Widow Forum Resident

I like your list. Mick Taylor's solo on Shine a Light is sublime. Not sure why that tune doesn't get more props. It's one of my favs by the Stones. In addition to Taylor's great guitar fills and solo, I also love the B3 playing on that tune. Especially cool is that you can hear the Leslie slowing down following Taylor's solo. As the music gets a bit slower, and quieter, you can hear the organ fluttering, so to speak...

Lots of praise for Taylor's guitar work on Stray Cat Blues from the Ya-Ya's album as well. That track features some of the greatest blues/rock lead guitar ever recorded. I'd put that one on my top 10 ten list, and get rid of All Down The Line.

I realize I'm in the minority here, but I've never been a fan of All Down The Line (or of Silver Train for that matter.) I consider both tunes very weak. Lazy offshoots of the basic I, IV, V blues structure, that initially grab one's hear due to the tempo but soon falter because they're vapid. Nothing against the I, IV, V -- just don't find ADTL or ST interesting or engaging in any way.

old school and Dave Hoos like this.
  16. ZEP77

ZEP77 Houston/Pontiac '77 Video. Where are you?

Gimme Shelter is ALL Keef??

*mind blown*

17. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The list implied studio cuts, live is a completely different category of MT greatness.

18. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

I'd rate it #1 also.

Fullbug likes this.
  19. John Fell

+1 on a different category of greatness!:edthumbs::cheers:

Zoot Marimba and Dave Hoos like this.
  20. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Pardon me for highjacking the thread, but how can anyone not have All Down The Line on the best of MT list:

Fullbug, redsock and John Fell like this.
  21. John Fell

Since this is a Mick Taylor thread, I will share a cool story with you. I'm Facebook friends with Greg Prevost vocalist from the Chesterfield Kings and he has also written articles for Shindig. He is a huge Stones fan and they cut a Stones tribute album called Let's Go Get Stoned (highly recommended and it isn't just covers but songs written in the Stones style) and he told me this story. They asked Mick Taylor if he would be interested in playing on it and he agreed. He plays on a cover of the old Yardbirds' track I'm Not Talking. He said it is was awesome sitting next to Mick while he played about 7-10 different solos for the song and let them choose the one they liked the best. Mick told Greg it reminded him of his sessions for the Stones around 1971-72. He would just play many different solos and then they would choose. It would be awesome if some of these alternate solos are on tape in the Stones' vaults.:righton:

The Chesterfield Kings - I'm Not Talking with Mick Taylor

22. John Fell

You're a pal Reb. You can highjack my thread, especially if it involves examples of Mick Taylor's fine playing.:uhhuh:

Fullbug and reb like this.
  23. joethomas1

joethomas1 Forum Resident

I like his work on "Tops"

Fullbug likes this.
  24. John Fell

Blistering licks! :edthumbs:

reb likes this.
  25. John Fell

Thread Status: