Ultimate Classic Rock's Top 10 Rolling Stones songs with Mick Taylor

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Dec 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor Thread Starter

2. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

3. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

I think you may have slightly misunderstood John's post. Once Mick Taylor joined the Stones, he does play on just about every cut. I think John was simply highlighting the songs where MT plays something other than just his usual - and brilliant - lead guitar.

He plays on "Honky Tonk Women" and two songs on Let It Bleed. He had just joined and the bulk of the album was already recorded.

The only track from Sticky Fingers MT doesn't play on is "Sister Morphine" (which was also originally recorded before he joined the band).

There's probably one or two songs from Exile On Main St that he doesn't play on, but there's probably one or two songs that each of them doesn't play on. Bill Wyman doesn't play on nearly half the album!

I'm fairly certain that MT appears on every track of Goat's Head Soup, but doesn't play on every track from It's Only Rock 'n' Roll. He isn't on the title track or "Luxury".

He obviously wasn't in the band when Tattoo You was released, but two of the older songs they used for the album feature his guitar playing.

He definitely wasn't just a hired hand. In my opinion, he was the most important musician in the band during his time with the Stones.

old school, John Fell and BIG ED like this.
  4. Dave Hoos

Well, that's not quite true.

There's four complete studio albums, two live albums and two live DVD's with Mick Taylor. There's also two other albums - Let It Bleed and Tattoo You - that feature a couple of songs each with MT. As well as a handful of songs on the bonus Exile CD. Plus the "Honky Tonk Women" single and a handful of tracks that never made it to an album. These can be found on Metamorphosis and The Singles Collection: The London Years.

I hope that helps.

John Fell likes this.
  5. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

That's why i postED: "there aren't a lot of MT studio 'Stones' songs [too choose from]."
    i've always likED "Metamorphosis" even tho i find it quite quirky [may be cause i am too!!].
    i'll have too play that title again today too get some TaylorizED 'Stones'!
    Maybe even "The Singles Collection: The London Years"; both on SA-CD.
    BIG thanks.

6. Dave Hoos

Cool. And I apologise for not noticing the word studio and listing the live albums as well!

I should add that MT is only on a handful of tracks on the third disc of The Singles Collection: The London Years. It's still worth getting of course. A lot of those early B-sides are only on this set. And if you didn't have some of the mono versions of some of the '60's singles, they're all mono on this...except "Honky Tonk Women".

old school and BIG ED like this.
  7. old school

old school Senior Member

Wow Mick T's solo is just incredible! Is Metamorphosis the only place to find Jiving Sister Fanny?
    No wonder Keith did not want Jiving Sister Fanny released on Let it Bleed!

8. old school

old school Senior Member

Sway is number one on my list. Love that song! Sway is about as close to hard rock as the Rolling Stones got.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    Black Widow, John Fell and Dave Hoos like this.
  9. John Fell

William there is also a version on the The London Years Singles Collection box set.

Dave Hoos and old school like this.
  10. old school

old school Senior Member

Then I have it and did not know it! Thanks John!

John Fell likes this.
  11. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Not at all!
    Sway, to Taylor fans, at least the ones I know, is THE song where the ending solo should never end!
    Sway IS Mick Taylor.
    the beave

Dave Hoos, old school and John Fell like this.
  12. John Fell

Abkco actually issued a couple of singles from the Metamorphosis album so they are included on the set.

old school likes this.
  13. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Johnny Winter cut a version of Silver Train that's a lot hotter than the Stones version.

old school likes this.
  14. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

1. Can't You Hear Me Knocking
    2. Can't You Hear Me Knocking
    3. Can't You Hear Me Knocking
    4. Can't You Hear Me Knocking
    5. Can't You Hear Me Knocking
    6. Can't You Hear Me Knocking
    7. Can't You Hear Me Knocking
    8. Can't You Hear Me Knocking
    9. Can't You Hear Me Knocking
    10. Can't You Hear Me Knocking

Hope I made myself clear here...

Dave Hoos and John Fell like this.
  15. Lil' Brian

Lil' Brian Forum Resident

Love Mick Taylor and Carla Olson's version of "Winter" too. At over 12 minutes, it really let's him stretch out. Just beautiful!

16. Dave Hoos

I still prefer the Stones version. I like Johnny Winter's version of "Let It Bleed" better than his "Silver Train".

dino77 likes this.
  17. duggan

duggan Senior Member

I could argue the toss about numbers 2 to 10 but have to agree with the OP that Sway is my number one Stones track on which Taylor played.

Maybe it is the most underrated track in the Stones cannon (there's a thread idea).

18. old school

old school Senior Member

I tell you Johnny Winter does a smoking version of ' Stray Cat Blues ' off Saints and Sinners. And Johnny's version of ' Jumpin' Jack Flash ' off Johnny Winter And Live smokes the Stones version hands down in my opinion!

dino77 likes this.
  19. John Fell

William I think it is a great track but I read somewhere that Mick Jagger felt the lyrics were not very good so they didn't use it. I don't know that the lyrics are any sillier than Monkey Man and they put that out. I do like Monkey Man but the lyrics are a bit silly.

Dave Hoos and old school like this.
  20. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

As long as "Winter" is included, I am happy.

Zoot Marimba and Dave Hoos like this.
  21. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Some noteable missing songs

1. Dancing with Mr D
    2. Love in Vein (old song made anew by Mick's scorching live playing on this)
    3. Rip this Joint
    4. Midnight Rambler (another old song which Mick tore aprt)
    5. Stop Breaking Down

alchemy likes this.
  22. John Fell

Mick Taylor didn't play on the studio versions of Love In Vain and Midnight Rambler and their list was only studio tracks.

Stop Breaking Down and Dancing With Mr. D are great.

23. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Yeah I know.... but I've played Get Yer Yeah Yeah's to death :) And, my go to perf of Love in Vain has always been the Hyde Park show.

24. John Fell

25. Dave Hoos

I haven't heard him do "Stray Cat Blues", but I SAW him play "Jumpin' Jack Flash" at Festival Hall, West Melbourne, in 1986. I was 5 or 6 rows from the stage and he was smoking!!

dino77 and old school like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.