Ultimate HQCD (UHQCD) - new CD format, King Crimson on UHQCD and more

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, Aug 10, 2016.

1. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

List of Uni UHQCD Jazz series has been posted (post #233), but thank you for the reminder.

2. toilet_doctor

Warner Japan announced 100 Classical titles in the new Premium Classic UHQCD Series (first 26 titles on April 19) with price $13.93.

High-fidelity Comparison: Classic Music / UHQCD & Standard CD

One of them is a promo Comparison Sampler UHQCD vs. Reg. CD for $8.71:

Apr.19, 2017

UHQCD Sampler "Premium Classics" Series Highlight (UHQCD+CD)

"Sampler of UHQCD with highlight tracks from [Premium Classics (UHQCD)] series. Consists of a CD with UHQCD format and a regular CD with the same tracks to compare the sound quality. Comes with a description."

[​IMG]

3. toilet_doctor

Review:

Kitaro Silk Road Mini LP UHQCD

I have some New Age CD collection mainly from the 90's. New Age music giant Kitaro was not there.
    Now, with new UHQ release, I decided to give him a chance.

Silk Road is a third of 5 Kitaro's albums in the Mini LP CD series released by Pony Canyon (big independent Japanese publisher) last year:
    Kitaro OASIS
    Kitaro Ki
    Kitaro Silk Road
    Kitaro Silk Road II
    Kitaro Tonko (Tunhuang or Silk Road III)

Pony Canyon is famous for its support of new artists and Low Price reissues without any attempts to "cut corners". And here the price is even cheaper than any existing SHM Mini LP releases - currently about $ 20. And this is a new 2016 Remaster.

Print quality and craftsmanship are a top notch. You can clearly see all these tiny details on the hand-painted Chinese ancient drum and stringed instrument on the cover. It also came with a beautiful poster in full color with a Silk Road map in 3D and two black and white inserts (one about an album and the other about UHQCD with 3 diagrams - reg. CD, HQCD and UHQCD, showing frequency range, expending toward to UHQCD).

Is the sound on the same level?
    From the first notes it strikes with a huge soundstage, openness and balance.

There is no vocal here, but the trebles of the various flutes were clear. It is instrumental piece of music rather on the ambient side and, when bass went on from the organ lower register (Track #3), it also was ambient and clean, filled the whole (17' x 23') room. The song continued with a synthesizer over the low keys accords, gradually increasing intensity. I cranked the volume... Here I must admit that I wish more clarity in the midrange of the synch parts. Sound was very even (track-to-track) and this drawback, I mentioned, went through the entire album.

Track #8 began with the kicking ancient bass drums over the gentle sync. It was very nice, but again mid was not as smooth as it could be when I added the volume, while drums were tight and undistorted.

On a bright side, I didn't find any other downside either. All these interesting sound effects of gong, percussion, bells and other instruments (Track #11) were very clear and slowly went into the tender and calm melody of the final song.

All in all, it was a pleasant experience for listening to the whole album... It was a real Silk Road trip through ancient China with the beauty of Mother Nature and the danger of reality.
    I did not appreciate this music before, but I do it now.

I can recommend this album to all music lovers. It remains firmly in the Very Good category.

System used:
    Player: Cary Audio 360 Pro SACD
    Power amp: Coda Technologies 'KiloWatt Monoblocks'
    Preamp: Coda Technologies
    Speakers: B&W Nautilus 802
    Interconnects: Acoustic Zen Absolute Silver
    Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen Absolute Silver Shotgun

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  4. toilet_doctor

Silk Road

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Silk Road II

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

Yesterday I received by first ever UHQCD, Pat Metheny - Offramp. Today I compared my German CD against this UHQCD.

The UHQCD does sound better but the differences, on my system at least, were disappointingly slight. I've heard far greater improvements in sound when comparing standard CDs against their Blu-Spec CD2 equivalents & I'd hoped that the gains that UHQCD would offer would be similar.

The improvements were so small that I'll certainly think twice before purchasing any further UHQCDs.

In the case of this title a new, (hopefully better?) version is due to be released soon on SACD, see ECM SACD reissues: March 8, 2017 , in particular post #15

The press release has more information, including a list of upcoming releases in this series;

June
    * Keith Jarrett "Standard Trio Vol.1"
    * Chick Corea "Crystal Silence"
    * Pat Metheny "Memories of San Lorenzo"
    September
    * Keith Jarrett "Standard Trio Vol.2"
    * Chick Corea "Trio Music"
    * Pat Metheny "Off-Ramp"
    December
    * Gary Peacock "Tales of Another"
    * Richard Beirach "Hubris"
    * Steve Kuhn "Trans"

toilet_doctor likes this.
  6. toilet_doctor

Thank you for valuable info. The thread supposed to help to make choice. Everyone should try some UHQCD to know how his system would react.

I ordered two titles being released just 5 months apart:
    UCCU-8033 Julie London Her name is Julie Vol. 1 UHQCD
    UCCU-5763 Julie London Her name is Julie Vol. 1 SHM-CD
    for comparison test, I never did. I compared UHQCD vs. Reg. CD, but not vs. SHM-CD. I'll report result. (Old Uni remaster was good).

Uni UHQ Jazz series is just a reprint, not a new remaster, while Tower Rec SACD is new remaster, we have to stick with.
    Please don't forget to report here on SACD sound in September.

7. toilet_doctor

P.S.
    Regardless that there is a doubt from forum member yasujiro that Tower will do good job on new remaster, I'm glad that more and more independent SACD releases will push major labels toward Hi-Res sound.

Musicisthebest likes this.
  8. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident

Is there anyone heard any of the Yes UHQCDS ?.

9. toilet_doctor

I have them, but didn't try yet. Please do nothing 'till you hear from me... soon.

P.S.
    I accumulated big pile of Mini LPs, I have to evaluate, and I will start with Yes.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  10. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident

11. Boris75

Boris75 Forum Resident

Many thanks. If I understand correctly, the bits are the same as on conventional CDs. Therefore, if they are ripped into a music server with a high-quality ripper checking for errors, the result will be the same as with a conventional CD?

I am asking the question because I stopped using any CD players years ago and now play all my CDs from my music server. I am ready to pay a premium price for superior mixing or mastering but not pressing.

12. Boris75

Boris75 Forum Resident

True. This is why they make people lose hearing, unless they wear protection, which is weird: why not amplify a little less, to say 80-85dB? It is already loud enough to hear distinctly (and even that level should not be sustained more than 2-3 hours).

13. Boris75

Boris75 Forum Resident

The analogy with vision is good as far as it goes. And it does not go that far: the resolution of the human ear, with 18 000-24 000 hair cells (many of them dying with age and exposure to elevated sound levels), is much lower than that of the retina, which has millions of cells. The upshot is that you do not need 25GB of data to go well above the resolution of the human ear. The5Gb associated with DSD128 or even 2.5GB of FLAC 24bit/192kHz are enough by far.

14. Boris75

Boris75 Forum Resident

I love Japanese packaging (it is important to me as, even if I use a music server, I like to peruse the paper documentation that accompanies CDs, and I also like the sight of neat CDs in my library). I think I'll end up buying a couple of these UQHCDs for this reason.

15. Musicisthebest

That's my understanding. I ripped a Blu-Spec CD2 & compared the waveform against the CD with the same master. The waveforms were extremely similar but interestingly enough not identical. However when I played back the 2 rips I couldn't hear any difference, unlike when I compared the 2CDs. I must point out that I wouldn't claim that my computer gave high quality musical play back but it's good enough to hear differences between different Pink Floyd & Led Zeppelin masters in blind tests that have been carried out in this forum.

16. Musicisthebest

As with all these new formats (eg Blu-Spec CD2, HQCD etc), it's the state of the master that matters. UHQCD is a step forward but it can't transform a poor master.

Looking at the description of Yesterdays on CD Japan it states it's from the 2002 HDCD master. See Yesterdays Atlantic 70th Anniversary [Limited Release] Yes CD Album

Looking at the DR database the figures for this master look dire See Album details - Dynamic Range Database & Album details - Dynamic Range Database . This is 1 UHQCD that I WON'T be getting.

CD Japan doesn't state what the master is for Yesstory. See Yesstory Atlantic 70th Anniversary [Limited Release] Yes CD Album . For 9012 The Solos 9012 Live The Solos Atlantic 70th Anniversary [Limited Release] Yes CD Album & Yesshows Yesshows Atlantic 70th Anniversary [Limited Release] Yes CD Album the masters are 2009 which I can't find any information on. For these 3CDs I'll eagerly await Toilet Doctor's comments.

17. toilet_doctor

New releases:

June 21, 2017

Valerie Carter The Way It Is / Find A River

(translation)
    "Valentie Carter, an indispensable female singer when talking about the music scene on the American West Coast of the 1970s who died on March 4th. The album "The Way It Is" released by her in 1996 for the first time in 18 years recurred on the UHQCD specification and on the analog board where the enthusiasts are increasing now, on top of the latest remaster.
    5 bonus tracks included (added tracks of mini album 'Find A River', currently hard to obtain both UHQCD and LP)"

Title track:

Just a Stone Throw Away (1976)
    Valerie Carter - Just A Stones Throw Away - 10/15/1976 - Capitol Theatre (Official) - YouTube

Crazy (from Love Child 1978)
    Valerie Carter - Crazy (1978)

Valerie Carter 1953-2017 Tribute:
    Singer Valerie Carter Dead at 64: Check Out the Many Great LP's She Sang On Our Tribute

18. toilet_doctor

June 23, 2017

Radiohead OK Computer 1997-2017 (Mini LP 2 UHQCD)

Excellent price $22 for Mini LP two UHQ discs 20th An. Ed.

"Twentieth anniversary edition of "OK COMPUTER" from Radiohead. This Japan edition exclusively features UHQCD format. Also features cardboard sleeve packaging. The album includes three tracks, which are officially released for the first time, and eight B-side ones. All the included tracks are remastered, using the original master tapes (analog tape). Twentieth anniversary edition of "OK COMPUTER" from Radiohead."

(translation)
    "The 20th anniversary commemoration board "OK Computer" of the masterpiece of Radiohead, the masterpiece of Radiohead, which symbolizes the music scene, is released simultaneously on June 23 (Fri) in the world at the same time! First official formula Three songs including release 3 songs and B side sound source 8 songs! The three songs "I Promise", "Lift" "Man Of War" that had been long awaited for sound sources were original recordings of 20 years ago that were recorded at the time, "OK Computer" for the first time officially recorded. All the recorded songs were remastered from the then original master · (analog · tape). Furthermore, the domestic CD is a high-quality UHQCD (Ultimate High Quality CD) specification, lyric translation and commentary are enclosed. "OK COMPUTER" which was produced by the band and Nigel Godrich was released in May 1997 and sent representative singles such as "Paranoid Android" "Karma Police" "Lucky" "No Surprises" to the world. In addition, Radiohead has won first place in the UK chart and is a memorable album nominated for the Grammy Award for Best Album Award, as well as cultural, historical and artistic importance was valued and American National A masterpiece brilliantly shining in the history of music engraved in the Recording Registry! ※ This product will be released the same day worldwide product, the delivery of the item will be on or after the release date."

19. toilet_doctor

Yes it is.

This thread is about physical media and based on the fact:
    The same file placed on the different carrier sounds different in the same high-end system.

Industry made 4 steps to improve SQ of RB CD, using new materials:
    1. 24-K gold reflective coating over the regular plastic (Gold CD)
    2. SHM/HQ materials of the disc (SHM-CD and HQCD)
    3. Platinum reflective coating over the SHM disc (Platinum SHM-CD)
    4. Additional Photopolymer layer to HQ disc (UHQCD)

We have dedicated thread Platinum SHM-CDs launched! (Part 1-3), where all aspects of this matter were discussed with reviews and comparison tests. In my previous system Pt coating gave huge difference in the sound. I also conducted Gold vs. non-Gold CD comparison test. Improvement was, but in much lesser degree than Platinum. Unfortunately, Uni stopped production of the Pt SHM discs.

20. toilet_doctor

SHM-CD vs. Regular CD

"I thought SHM-CD was an oily idea that sprouted from oily marketing minds too.
    Until I heard a few and compared them to the exact same masterings on 'regular' CDs.
    No oil there."
    (from the forum's comment)

"...some will say the virtual annihilation of jitter and others defects

in the final product by high quality hardware and such will bear sonic improvements...
    and I tend to agree!" -- Plan9 (Mastering engineer, Oct. 2008)

As I mentioned it before, I've compared Blu-specCD(1) with regular RB CD version (Janis Joplin The Essential of...) with very subtle improvement.
    Sony claimed Blu-spec CDs were printed on QH material...
    That's why I thought that it's also a comparison HQCD vs. Reg. CD sound. But I was very doubt about that. From very beginning there was not any mark, sticker or HQ logo on the Blu-specCD cover or on the OBI.
    It's possible that Sony only planned to use HQ for Blu-spec, but later switched to regular plastic to cut the cost(?) Do they use QH material for Blu-specCD2 now?
    I don't know. I helplessly tried to find any info... Sony did not say what material they use for BSCD2, and there is no info on old version BSCD either.

I did not compared HQ/SHM to the regular discs since then (while I upgraded my system to the new player and speaker cable).

So I cannot be sure what cause of what, but I recently compared Uriah Heep new 2016 Remaster to old 2003 and 2010 SHM Japan Mini LP with 2003 Remaster, posted at Uriah Heep thread. And result was surprising for me, as I thought difference in my system was barely noticeable.

Here is the excerpts from the complete reviews, related to this thread:

...Very 'Eavy ...Very 'Umble UK 2016 Remaster vs. 2003 Sanctuary UK Deluxe Extended Ed. vs. 2010 Universal Japan Mini LP SHM-CD version.

I started by comparing 2003 UK release vs. 2010 Japan SHM release (both of the same 2003 Remaster).
    More contemporary and limited SHM pressing won due to more vital, airy and accurate sound. Nevertheless, the bass and dynamics were the same (and pretty good in most tracks) in both versions.
    "Visually" speaking, the sound of SHM disc was a "sharp image" against the regular UK disc.
    (In addition, the Japanese Mini LP is beautifully done - in each album there are two Mini LP covers: CD is placed in UK Mini LP cover, while the booklet and insert with a copy number - in US Mini LP cover).

I thought that the better sounding SHM would go against new remaster and I tried, but quickly realized: the sound presentation of the new remastered disc was similar to 2003 UK, while the "sharp image" of the Japanese SHM disc hit the first notes with more airy and 3-dimensional sound. It also had a better separation between instruments as well. All of this is nothing to do with remastering, but rather with CD manufacturing process. To avoid such an impact and focus on the remasters, I compared the new 2016 Remaster with old 2003 in the same conventional RB CD format.

2010 Salisbury SHM Japan Mini LP CD vs. 2003 UK RB CD
    Then, I put Uraih Heep Salisbury SHM version of the title track on.
    Again, the difference in sound was so obvious. The sound went liquid-like.
    Comparably to the same mastering, it is more smooth and more precise sound with a better separation between the instruments. Did it smooth out the damned vocals brightness? Absolutely not... Though, SHM added its liquidity into all the vocal parts.

SHM did not correct weak booming bass of the 2003 remaster on the title track, just a tad smoothed it. Naturally, I prefer a faster and more balanced 2016 bass over the smoothed-off booming one in SHM.
    SHM cannot fix mastering errors, such as over compressed or bright and edgy sound, but it can bring clearer and more detailed sound. It can raise good mastering with more natural, better presented sound.
    Returning to the comparison of the 2016 Remaster vs. 2010 Japan SHM with 2003 Remaster, who is the winner?
    It depends on your preferences and the tracks themselves. I mean that the better sounding tracks benefit more from SHM.

If the brightness doesn't bother you much, stick to the "sharp image" of SHM-disc for more detailed sound. For instance, the song 'Come Away Melinda' has acoustic guitar based sound, and you can feel every string resonating in the SHM.
    But, if you prefer more dynamic and balanced sound, go for the new Remaster.

21. toilet_doctor

UHQCD vs. SHM-CD

First impression

I compared Julie London UHQ with SHM. UHQ won, but not with a large margin. It sounds a bit more spacious and precise, more transparent; it's obvious and listenable, but not at the level that, if you have already SHM, you must upgrade to UHQ - no. It rather sounds like:
    if you have to choose between SHM and UHQ, it's worth spending 4 bucks more on UHQ.

The difference in SQ between SHM and Regular CD is greater than between UHQCD and SHM-CD. This corresponds to the waveform charts provided with the UHQCD.

I have to point out that in the case of Uriah Heep (SHM-CD vs. Regular CD, post 320), I compared mass-pressed regular disc with a limited pressing SHM, standing 7 years apart. While in this case both discs are Japanese limited pressing, standing a few months apart.

P.S.
    Sorry, I did not post this result in a first place, because I planned to additionally compare UHQCD with Julie London APO SACD, but SACD is a new remaster and also Vol.2, and I decided not to.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  22. toilet_doctor

Missing UHQ release:

Jan. 01, 2017

Brian Eno Reflection

"REFLECTION is the most recent of my Ambient experiments and represents the most sophisticated of them so far. My original intention with Ambient music was to make endless music, music that would be there as long as you wanted it to be. I wanted also that this music would unfold differently all the time - ‘like sitting by a river’: it’s always the same river, but it’s always changing. But recordings - whether vinyl, cassette or CD - are limited in length, and replay identically each time you listen to them. So in the past I was limited to making the systems which make the music, but then recording 30 minutes or an hour and releasing that. REFLECTION in its album form - on vinyl or CD - is like this. But the app by which REFLECTION is produced is not restricted: it creates an endless and endlessly changing version of the piece of music." - Brian Eno

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It states on the back of the OBI: "Not for sale outside of Japan." But it's available anyway (Digisleeve; $21.43).

I missed it because it was (and still is) advertised as a regular CD, but ended up as UHQCD.
    You can see on the back of the OBI two more Brian Eno releases: The Ship (2016) and LUX (2012) - they are SHM releases.
    Interesting to note: The Ship was released in SHM-CD format as Collectors Ed. year ago, and it's gone in Japan, while simultaneously released ($4 cheaper) Mini LP reg. CD version still is widely available.

23. toilet_doctor

New releases

"Why, oh why did I not discover this guy earlier?
    Probably the 'tango' label put me off.
    Don't make the same mistake. This is simply thrilling.

I'll be playing this until the day I die."

"If you are seeking for something to give you back those long time ago lost sensations,
    that made you feel alive..."

"I do not play this record mostly.
    It is too much an important music for risking to get used to it.
    This shall be preserved for the generations to come as a human treasure.
    I hope someday someone else could write things like this again.
    God bless this Man memory."

(from the comments)

July 07, 2017

Astor Piazzolla Tango Zero Hour
    Astor Piazzolla La Camorra: La Soledad De La Provocacion Apasionada

(translation)
    Tango Zero Hour [UHQCD] / Astor Piazzolla
    Here is all of the master, Piazzolla who created a unique form of performance by combining elements of classical and jazz based on tango. For more than 45 years of music activities, immortal masterpieces that are regarded as their masterpieces are reprinted with high quality UHQCD. [$20.59]

Reviews

"Astor Piazzolla lived and died as tango's bad boy, having almost single handedly invented the music's vanguard, the form known as tango nuevo. It took Piazzolla decades to reach his unequivocal apex, which is captured flawlessly on Tango Zero Hour. When this recording was cut in 1986, some of the compositions Piazzolla and his quintet cued up were standards for the band. Whether it was an epiphanic period or not, the recording captures an ensemble alchemically transforming seriously complex works into goose-bump-inducing electricity. Pianist Pablo Ziegler brings his jazz background into the mix with jarring urgency, just as violinist Fernando Suárez Paz makes quavering classical inflections sing amid Piazzolla's here tender and there blistering bandoneon. For a peak experience in music that challenges the ear to dance and the body to fully listen, look no further than this recording." -- Andrew Bartlett

5* Quiet simply, the best Piazzolla album of them all.
    If you have to own just one Astor Piazzolla album, make it this one. From start to finish, it is simply the best in all respects, particulary in how the entire album is so well-integrated. Every selection fits together with every other seamlessly.
    Some might argue that "La Camorra" is superior. I think that album has moments where it exceeds "Tango: Zero Hour" but as a totally-integrated album, "Tango: Zero Hour" has to stand alone. This album should appeal to anyone who loves well-made music, regardless of your normal musical preferences.
    (April 17, 2002)

(translation)
    La Camorra - Solitude of Passionate Provocation [UHQCD] / Astor Piazzolla
    Piasola's lifetime last masterpiece album by Quintet (quintet) The tense sound full of rigor and gentleness still shakes our soul.

Reviews

"5* Paradise now.
    What I like about Astor Piazzolla 's compositions are that they shift dynamically, rhythmically, mood-wise in a fairly illogical way that mimics the texture of everyday life (mine at least). Not rampant atonality . Like life, the compositions retain consistent voices, threads of melodies. But bet's are off about what's comin' around the corner.
    Piazzolla is always a first-class FEELING human as opposed to a musician's musician. Operatic in his emotional intensity.
    This CD has an erotically slow "Soledad", three raucous and adorable fight-songs about "La Camorra" (the quarrel). Next, a muscular fugue, "Fugata", "Sur: Los Suenos (South: The Dreams)" holding a child's nursery song? inside, and last "Regresso Al Amor (South: Regression To Love)". I enjoy YOYO Ma's version of "Regresso Al Amor" (on Yo-Yo Ma: SOUL OF THE TANGO: MUSIC OF ASTOR PIAZZOLLA) but this CD has the composer performing, making it more bittersweet (he died in '92)- more "regressive".
    My favorite PIAZZOLLA CD is no longer just "Tango: Zero Hour." It's a tie between Zero and La Camorra. "Zero Hour" is more ethereal; "La Camorra" is more agitated.
    " (Oct. 1, 2001)

Interestingly, this guy did this review a few days before October and ended up with:
    "My favorite PIAZZOLLA is still Tango: Zero Hour."

one more opinion:
    " 5* While not absolutely the greatest Piazzolla record (Tango: Zero Hour and New Tango deserve that) this is still a must for anyone interested in Piazzolla. The long, slow opening piece, Soledad, demonstrates the hushed, focussed passion that he was such a master at, and the three movement suite that follows is also one of the greatest things he and his group did. While the last few cuts may be good as opposed to astonishing, this is still a marvelous record." (March 28, 2000)

Astor Piazzolla - La Camorra (1989) [FULL ALBUM]

I will try Zero Hour.

24. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

22 bucks? It's more like 40 quid over here. While the "regular" 2 CD set is under a tenner. 4 times better than the regular CD? Oh really?

Kerching, as they say...

25. toilet_doctor

Thank you for your ironic question.

In my twisted mind 22 bucks or 14 quid is excellent price against 40 quid (Japanese UHQCD edition costs in UK) OK COMPUTER OKNOTOK 1997 2017 [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] [UHQCD] by Radiohead: Amazon.co.uk: Music Would you argue with that?

As for Sound Quality against Reg. 2CD edition for 10 UK pounds. It is only 4 pounds cheaper than Japan Mini LP set (14 pounds). Just this state-of the-art Mini LP packaging alone is worthing to pay 4 quid more.
    Whatever the sound quality improvement in UHQCD Japanese Limited UHQ pressing against the mass market of the British cheap-plastic pressing, you get for free.

However, you may prefer to download MP3 version for 12 pounds in UK... OK Computer OKNOTOK 1997 2017: Radiohead: Amazon.co.uk: Music
    You would save 2 quid instantly against Japan Mini LP 2 UHQCD and enjoy it on a go.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017