Ultimate HQCD (UHQCD) - new CD format, King Crimson on UHQCD and more

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, Aug 10, 2016.

1. I am interested to hear reports about the new 2018 masterings which some of these discs include, e.g. Free and Traffic.

2. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

Updated list as I'd omitted Wishbone Ash - Argus. How could I miss off one of my favourite albums?

For anyone wondering which, if any titles to investigate these are my thoughts after hearing some of the SACDs from which these are mastered

Derek & Dominos Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs (2013) - Best version I’ve heard but I’ve not heard the MFSL SACD.

Genesis Foxtrot (2007) - Not heard this but I have heard 7 other Genesis SACDs from the same series, all of which have been truly dire.

Steely Dan Pretzel Logic (2014) - OK but I prefer the original CD.

Supertramp Breakfast in America (2013) - Not a great recording. Best version I’ve heard but I’ve not heard the MFSL SACD.

Wishbone Ash - Argus (2013) - Best version I’ve heard.

Stevie Wonder Innervisions (2011) & Songs in the Key of Life 2CD (2011) - Sound very good but I prefer the AF SACDs.

3. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I also pay with PayPal, but didn't realize about coverage. The problem here they would take money from a seller probably if an item get lost.
    CDJAPAN is super honest and nice. Would not want to make it their problem.
    Ugly businesses like ebay and paypal should pay coverage from their draconian fees, bus they just pass all responsibilities to a seller.

Back to the topic: very interested in opinions about "Royal Scam ".

toilet_doctor likes this.
  4. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

I don't remember these AF SACDs. And Paypal charges a fee for foreign purchases, although they hide it in the exchange rate. They just jack the rate up a bit to cover their fee.

MaestroDavros likes this.
  5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I've ordered a number of times from cdjapan using the least expensive SAL shipping option. Not one order has been lost so no worries there.

I stopped using Paypal to buy music especially with cdjapan. A few times I tried to change an order and was unable to due to using Paypal. The other factor was with Paypal the payment is charged right away even with preorders.

6. Musicisthebest

They're not a figment of my imagination. See

Stevie Wonder :: Innervisions
    [​IMG]
    Out of Stock
    Stevie Wonder
    Innervisions
    24 Karat Gold CD
    AFZ 086
    Genre:
    Pop
    R&B
    Reggae
    $24.99
    Too High
    Visions
    Living for the City
    Golden Lady
    Higher Ground
    Jesus Children of America
    All in Love Is Fair
    Don't You Worry 'bout a Thing
    He's Misstra Know-It-All

Mastered by Kevin Gray

"...a masterpiece even by Stevie Wonder's lofty standards."

Innervisons is the middle album of the five releases issued between 1972 and 1976 widely considered Stevie Wonder's classic period. The landmark album, winner of the 1974 Grammy award for Album of the Year, included three hits, "Higher Ground," "Living For The City" and "He's Misstra Know-It-All." Stevie produced the album, wrote every song and primarily played every instrument.

Innervisions swings between delicate and airy ballads, Latin-influenced rhythms, reggae and Stevie's synth-heavy versions of rockin' soul. His music always sounds free and, at his best, he does things no one else can. It's a collection of flawless soundscapes and lyrical poetry combining societal anguish and musical artistry.

Innervisions is praised as being among Stevie's finest work and one of the great albums in popular music history. In 2001, VH1 named it the 31st greatest album of all time and the album was ranked number 23 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest.

Innervisions won additional Grammy Awards for Best Engineered Non-Classical Recording and Best R&B Song awarded to "Living for the City."

Stevie Wonder :: Songs In The Key Of Life
    [​IMG]
    Out of Stock
    Stevie Wonder
    Songs In The Key Of Life
    24 Karat Gold CD
    AFZ2 096
    Genre:
    Pop
    R&B
    Rock
    $54.99
    Track listing
    Disc One
    Love's in Need of Love Today – 7:06
    Have a Talk with God – 2:42
    Village Ghetto Land – 3:25
    Contusion – 3:46
    Sir Duke – 3:52
    I Wish – 4:12
    Knocks Me Off My Feet – 3:36
    Pastime Paradise – 3:27
    Summer Soft – 4:14
    Ordinary Pain – 6:16

Disc Two
    Isn't She Lovely? – 6:34
    Joy Inside My Tears – 6:30
    Black Man – 8:27
    Ngiculela - Es Una Historia - I Am Singing – 3:48
    If It's Magic – 3:12
    As – 7:08
    Another Star – 8:08

A Something's Extra Bonus
    Saturn – 4:54
    Ebony Eyes – 4:11
    All Day Sucker – 5:06
    Easy Goin' Evening (My Mama's Call) – 3:55

Mastered by Kevin Gray

7. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I think the confusion comes from the fact that these are not SACDs.

8. redfox62

redfox62 Forum Resident

As soon as
    These AF are not SACD . They are simply 16/44.1 gold cd.

Musicisthebest likes this.
  9. Musicisthebest

Yes, you're right. But they sound so good they could be (& I thought they were until I've just checked)

10. If I remember correctly, they were some of the last gold CDs put out by Audio Fidelity before they moved to SACD.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  11. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Or you could say moved back to SACD. They started out the business doing SACDs then unfortunately switched to gold CDs for awhile.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  12. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Unfortunately? Some of those gold cds were amazing. The gold was just for eliminating corrosion I assume. But the masterings themselves were second to none in all the ones that I bought anyway.

sound chaser likes this.
  13. Bump

sound chaser likes this.
  14. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

Sure, but amazing gets even more excellent when SACD, still including a red book layer for those without SACD capabilities.

15. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Volume going up and down, well down and then back up, would be normal for Help Me Rhonda. Mine finally got shipped after a long wait so I'll check it out when I get it.

stingraex2000 and GetHappy!! like this.
  16. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

Exactly, that's how the original LP version of "Help Me, Ronda" (no H) was recorded. Received my copy of Endless Summer yesterday, and it's a nice alternative to the DCC. Sounds very good. Also received Pet Sounds, and while I believe there was some confusion if some of the tracks were replicated from the 2014 SHM-SACD transfer, the booklet states the whole album has been newly remastered.

17. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident

Just recieved 5 cds, redbook layer only for me ,Steely Dan remastered by Eli Brown from US master tapes. First reaction is these cds seem to dig deeper into the mix, have the sampler as well. The Who singles sounds good ,with see me feel me stunning,on no not another copy of Tommy to order.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    toilet_doctor and Mike McMann like this.
  18. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Yep, when I was typing that I was wondering whether the h belonged there or not, although I actually think Ronda was just a mis-print way back in the day and they corrected it later adding the h.

GetHappy!! likes this.
  19. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

I was wondering if that was on the original or not, but really sounds weird to me, otherwise I'm finding the sound is quite stunning upon repeated listenings. Once you get a chance to listen, please let me know if thats the way the original was. Thanks for your reply.

20. Musicisthebest

My experiences with Steely Dan – Aja & The Royal Scam MQA CDs

First of all I must state that do not own any MQA decoding devices.

I compared the MQA CDs against our host’s Aja & the original Royal Scam CD.

Both MQA CDs have a similar sonic signature, having a pronounced upper mid range & everything is very clear. They have good dynamics (both DR14, I measured them AFTER listening) which are the same as my original CDs.

The problem I have with the MQA discs is that although they are exceptionally clear & detailed the sense of rhythm which exists on my original CDs is missing on these discs. The MQA Aja doesn’t groove the way our host’s version does. There’s a similar issue with The Royal Scam only it doesn’t seem to be quite as pronounced.

Although these MQA discs are not to my taste it’s only fair to point out that as I’ve not got any MQA decoding kit I’m not getting the best out of them.

I’m reminded of the debate about the 2 mixes of Bob Dylan’s Street Legal. Many folk, me included, like the original mix which has a great groove, others prefer the cleaner & I would argue more sterile remix. People who like a “clarity first” sound will probably really like these MQA discs, even without recourse to MQA DACs.

At some point I intend to visit a hi-fi dealer & hear what these discs in decoded form can produce. Unfortunately I’ve got a very sore Achilles tendon making walking difficult & coupled with the problems that Northern Rail is currently subjecting its would be passengers to I can’t see me doing this for a while.

21. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Thanks for the review. I wasn't a big fan of the SACDs of Countdown or Pretzel Logic (preferred the original MCA CDs), so I think I'll stick with Steve's mastering of Aja and the original MCA CD for Royal Scam.

I doubt hearing it is high-res (MQA decoded) will make much of a difference. It all comes down to the mastering.

Blues_Viking and toilet_doctor like this.
  22. Musicisthebest

Yes, I also prefer the original CDs to the SACDs of Countdown & Pretzel.

23. nedwho

nedwho Forum Resident

So am I correct in thinking that the Roxy Music ‘Avalon’ HQCD is based on the same mastering as the 2014 SACD/Shm disc? Ive been thinking of picking up the latter, but may go for the former as it’s a little cheaper. Thoughts and comments welcome.

24. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

It's the same transfer. I would go with SHM-SACD since you have SACD playback. While MQA playback is not available in a wide scale yet.
    However, I don't see it anymore neither Mini LP SHM-SACD, nor Pt Mini LP SHM-CD.
    Jewel case SHM-SACD is the same price as Hi-Res CD (MQA-UHQCD) - 3,000 yen.

You may check on more good sounding titles to safe on a shipping - it's a big saving, btw.

25. nedwho

nedwho Forum Resident

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated.