Ultimate HQCD (UHQCD) - new CD format, King Crimson on UHQCD and more

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

I bought the thing locally and have checked both CDs. Only the main album (CD 1) is MQA and the sampling frequency is 176.4, not the usual 352.8.

2. Wow. I thought I was the only one with a 205 in a box and no time to mess with it. My predicament exactly. :tiphat:

3. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

As you said: " A good hi-fi that's been properly set up will sound good in ANY room, including those with hardwood floors. And the answer is power.
    Call me powernut, because I am, but good power not only improves the speaker performance, but also stabilizes the system, makes it less depending on the room interior. Things like rugs, heavy widow curtains, acoustic panels, dividers, corner bass traps and other acoustic room treatment accessories becoming absolutely unnecessary stuff of your listening room.
    To tell more, designer of my amps doesn't recommend any power conditioning/AC treatment for the monoblocks, but two dedicated 20A circuits with a separate outlet for each monoblock - that's exactly what I did.

4. toilet_doctor

We talked about Crystal Discs 2 years ago. In post #69, Lonson posted the link to the article about them.
    I think this is a good price, because 2 years ago they were $2,000.
    The $2000 CD Made From Glass »
    Just copy of Master Tape costs from $300 to $500.
    Elusive Disc - Search Results for Master Tape
    If they would produce 500 copies per disc, price could be dropped to the price of Master Tape copy, but this is immortal quality CD, best money can buy.
    Everyone should be ready to buy 1-2 of his favorite desert island discs at this price.
    I will buy Abbey Road Crystal Disc for $300... OK, $350! Deal?

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  5. Deal!

Sorry I missed what the fuss was all about with these and just noticed it today in the elusive disc daily email. :tiphat:

6. toilet_doctor

If they suddenly would... came up with Crystal Disc Limited Ed. project...
    Whatever good this deal may be, whatever good this disc may sound, they would put a bad sound on it and spoil the whole thing.
    How they do it now with MQA UHQCD.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  7. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

I think it finds that from the Internet. The first time I played it that cover art and track listing wasn't there. I didn't notice whether or not the track listing showed the Steely Dan album either though. I have gone into Options and turned off Internet. Don't need it for anything anyway unless a firmware update comes out.

The Beach Boys Endless Summer has a similar problem. It finds some odd album like a hits collection of some kind. No cover art though.

8. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident

46 More mqa uhqcds coming in december,carpenters,queen,ringo starr and george harrison which seem to be new remasters 2018. Maybe these sold better than people thought. Just to add the ringo starr cds are also new remasters .

toilet_doctor likes this.
  9. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Description for 'All Things Must Pass':

Reissue in Hi-Res CD format (UHQCD format x MQA technology). Features the DSD master in 2018, using UK original master tapes. The DSD master is available in 352.8kHz/24bit high resolution (perfect for MQA-enabled audio players / Not digitally distributed up to this time). Green color label coating. Slim case obi packaging. *The disc can also be played on regular CD players in UHQCD 44.1kHz/16bit resolution. However, MQA-enabled hardware/software is necessary to harness the full potential of this Hi-Res CD.

10. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

I have a dumb question so please forgive me. I'm interested in maybe purchasing a few of these titles not for the MQA possibilities but because they are DSD masters.

So if I were to buy say STICKY FINGERS and rip it to my computer (just the standard 16/44.1) I would still get the benefit of the DSD master just without the Hi-Res? I mention that title specifically because the description says it's the 2011 mastering. I have the 2013 Platinum SHM of EXILE and I think it's the best sounding digital version of that title because of the mastering.

Anyway, just curious.

11. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The mastering would be the same (although with added distortion and dither), just at reduced resolution.

12. Jason Manley

Is this noticeable?

13. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Depends on your ears, brain and equipment.

14. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Why don't you seek out the non-MQA version on the secondary market. It would only cost you a bit more and you don't have to worry about the anomalies that @Plan9 mentions.

Vinyl Records, CDs, and More For Sale at Discogs Marketplace

Musicisthebest and Plan9 like this.
  15. Jason Manley

Plan9 and jhm like this.
  16. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Definitely interested in All Things Must Pass. Too bad the queen titles are just using the old 2011 masterings.

17. toilet_doctor

Yes, the Project moved on with 46 mostly new titles in complete sets releases, which give the idea and hope that it will continue next year.

Dec. 12, 2018

Ringo Starr Sentimental Journey
    Ringo Starr Beaucoups of Blues + 2
    Ringo Starr Ringo + 2
    Ringo Starr Goodnight Vienna + 3

"Reissue in Hi-Res CD format (UHQCD format x MQA technology). Features the DSD master in 2018, using UK original master tapes. The DSD master is available in 352.8kHz/24bit high resolution (perfect for MQA-enabled audio players / Not digitally distributed up to this time). Green color label coating. Slim case obi packaging. *The disc can also be played on regular CD players in UHQCD 44.1kHz/16bit resolution. However, MQA-enabled hardware/software is necessary to harness the full potential of this Hi-Res CD." [26.75]

Ringo's first two albums were a journey to American music.
    The first solo album of 1970 is the jazz/pop standard covers album. It was a kind of breakthrough album, as none of the rock stars dare to do such a thing.

(translation)
    Sentimental Journey [MQA / UHQCD] [Limited Release] / Ringo Starr
    "[Hi-Res CD name board series] MQA-CD × UHQCD = High quality sound disc that you can listen to high res. This is the final evolution form of the CD! Ringo Star's first solo album released just before Paul McCartney 's declaration to withdraw from the Beatles. George Martin produced the standard number of the American that he became familiar with since he was a child, with the orchestra backing. Paul also participates as arranger. (Announced in 1970 / Master of 2018) ● Recorded on 2018's latest DSD master based on British original analog tape, converted to 352.8 kHz / 24 bit and recorded (high resolution undelivered sound source) ● Green color label coat ● Slim case band."

Whispering Grass

Ringo Starr - I'm A Fool To Care

Ringo Starr - "Dream"

The second album was a transition to country music, which is better suited for Ringo’s voice than jazz.

"Country Album [MQA / UHQCD] [Limited Release] / Ringo Star
    Ringo Star's second solo recorded in the country's Nashville building. It is a work that became a wish as a Country & Western like love of both self and others, taken up by the cover from the era of the Beatles, and the original song is also windy, composed entirely of new songs written for this work. (Announced in 1970 / Master of 2018) 2 bonus tracks included
    ."

Ringo Starr - $15 Draw

Loser's Lounge // Beaucoups of Blues // Ringo Starr

(bonus track)
    Ringo Starr - Nashville Jam

The 3rd solo album is perhaps the best of Ringo's albums.

Ringo [MQA / UHQCD] [Limited Release] / Ringo Starr
    "Three people, John, Paul and George, offer songs, each also participating in recording, a 3rd album that became a gorgeous face that no other. Losing to a masterpiece written by his friends, he himself prepared an original song full of fulfillment, a masterpiece of Ringo Starr's first recording on Apple that showed the presence of vocal and drumming of luxurious guests aside. (Announced in 1973 / Master of 2018) 2 bonus tracks included

I'm the Greatest / Ringo Star

Ringo Starr - Photograph

6 O'clock
    ("Paul McCartney wrote and performed on this. John Lennon was the writer for I'm the Greatest. George Harrison contributed Photograph. John and George played on a song or two together, so this album was close to a Beatles mini-reunion, but not quite.") comment
    Ringo Starr - Six O' Clock

Ringo Starr- You're Sixteen (You're Beautiful, and You're Mine)

Ringo Starr - "Down And Out"

Ringo Starr - Devil Woman

I'm going to buy it and comment on the sound.

4th album has a very 80's sound, despite being released in 1974.

Goodnight Vienna [MQA / UHQCD] [Limited Edition] / Ringo Star
    "This is the final evolution form of CD! John Lennon wrote the title song which participated in the recording, "Snooker" which Elton John offered to participate, Cover of the Platters "Only You", Alan Toussaint and Harry Writing by Nilsson, and even his own original, etc. made the fourth solo, the final work at Apple. (Announced in 1974 / Master of 2018) 3 bonus tracks included."

Title track
    Ringo Starr - Goodnight Vienna (original)

Easy For Me // Goodnight Vienna // Ringo Starr

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  18. toilet_doctor

Dec. 12, 2018

George Harrison Wonderwall Music
    George Harrison Electronic Sound
    George Harrison All Things Must Pass 2CD
    George Harrison Living In The Material World
    George Harrison Dark Horse
    George Harrison Extra Texture
    George Harrison 33 1/3
    George Harrison George Harrison
    George Harrison Somewhere In England
    George Harrison Gone Troppo
    George Harrison Cloud Nine
    George Harrison Live In Japan
    George Harrison Brainwashed

"Reissue in Hi-Res CD format (UHQCD format x MQA technology). Features the DSD master in 2018, using UK original master tapes. The DSD master is available in 352.8kHz/24bit high resolution (perfect for MQA-enabled audio players / Not digitally distributed up to this time). Green color label coating. Slim case obi packaging. *The disc can also be played on regular CD players in UHQCD 44.1kHz/16bit resolution. However, MQA-enabled hardware/software is necessary to harness the full potential of this Hi-Res CD."

We discussed all of Harrison's albums on Japan Mini LP SHM-CDs - New Releases, George Harrison and more thread last year:
    Japan Mini LP SHM-CDs - New Releases, George Harrison and more
    (from the Post #1 and on).
    However, noise reduction was used at the Capitol studio, and the new transfer should be a completely different sound.
    I will buy 'All Things' [$35.67] and 'Living in The Material World' [$26.75] again and maybe more.
    Will comment on a new sound.

Jerry Horne, PhantomStranger and jhm like this.
  19. toilet_doctor

Dec. 12, 2018

Carpenters Ticket to Ride
    Carpenters Close to You
    Carpenters S/T
    Carpenters A Song for You
    Carpenters Now and Then
    Carpenters Horizon
    Carpenters A Kind of Hush
    Carpenters Passage
    Carpenters Christmas Portrait
    Carpenters Made in America
    Carpenters Voice of the Heart
    Carpenters An Old Fashioned Christmas
    Carpenters Lovelines

"Reissue in Hi-Res CD format (UHQCD format x MQA technology). Features the DSD master in 2018, using UK original master tapes. The DSD master is available in 352.8kHz/24bit high resolution (perfect for MQA-enabled audio players / Not digitally distributed up to this time). Green color label coating. Slim case obi packaging. *The disc can also be played on regular CD players in UHQCD 44.1kHz/16bit resolution. However, MQA-enabled hardware/software is necessary to harness the full potential of this Hi-Res CD."

(translation)
    Ticket to Ride [MQA / UHQCD] [Limited Edition] / Carpenters
    [Hi-Res CD name board series] MQA-CD × UHQCD = High quality sound disc that you can listen to high res. This is the final evolution form of CD! Carpenters memorable debut work. Originally it was titled "Offering", but due to the big hit of "Harukanaru Shadow" the following year, it was renamed and recurred. Richard Carpenter's original song center content, about half of them take their own vocals. Karen is in charge of drums for all songs. (Presented in 1969 / Master of 2018)
    ● 2018 year based on original UK analog tape 2018 DSD Master was converted to 352.8 kHz / 24 bit and recorded (high resolution undelivered sound source).

Lovelines [MQA / UHQCD] [Limited Edition] / Carpenters
    "Unpublished work collection following 'Voice of the Heart' which was released in commemoration of the 20th anniversary of Carpenters' debut. Between 1977 and 1980, in addition to songs recorded as Carpenters, 4 remixes from Karen Carpenter's solo works, which had been planned to be released in 1980, are also included. (Published in 1989 / Master of 2018) ● Recording recorded on 2018's latest DSD master based on British original analog tape converted to 352.8 kHz / 24 bit."

"I've suffered from and survived anorexia for 13 year's getting down to under 5 stone at my worst. Some of the comments are so hurtful. Her parents, brother, ex husband and others in her life are not to blame. There is nothing they could have said or done until she was ready to fight back. I have very loving parents and at the age of 15 caused my mother to nearly have a nervous breakdown due to my behavior. Nothing my parents did caused this. I have something wrong chemically in my brain which distorts my view of myself, that's nobody's fault. Please be respectful, listen to how her mother described holding her in her arms saying her name and tell me that's a mother who didn't care. Hear how she describes her beautiful voice in the last recordings. That's a proud mother who clearly tried her best. Only Karen was to blame for her illness just like I was, and as soon as I realized that then I began to recover. God bless anyone going through this, you can survive it." (comment)

20. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Would the CD layer sound exactly the same as one of the SHM Platinums?

21. toilet_doctor

Dec. 12, 2018

Queen S/T
    Queen 2
    Queen Sheer Heart Attack
    Queen A Day at the Races
    Queen News of the World
    Queen Jazz

"Reissue in Hi-Res CD format (UHQCD format x MQA technology). Features the 96kHz/24bit master in 2011 by Bob Ludwig. The DSD master is available in 88.2kHz/24bit resolution (perfect for MQA-enabled audio players). Green color label coating. Slim case obi packaging. *The disc can also be played on regular CD players in UHQCD 44.1kHz/16bit resolution. However, MQA-enabled hardware/software is necessary to harness the full potential of this Hi-Res CD."

Queen is completely gone Pt SHM and SHM-SACD (two releases), regardless of their sound. Speaking of which, 1st is the only one to consider as a good sounding.

Bob Ludwig: the master of mastering?

22. toilet_doctor

Non-decoded MQA UHQCD sounds better than Pt SHM - wait for my report soon.

swintonlion likes this.
  23. The Christmas albums will almost assuredly be mine.

24. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Maybe next year they can do the CCR catalog (only Bayou Country came out on SHM SACD) and maybe Van der Graaf Generator too. I missed out on a few of the titles.